Let's Give Kevin Love a hand... - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe


Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Let's Give Kevin Love a hand...

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Re: Let's Give Kevin Love a hand...

Postby jphanned » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:40 am

While I don't necessarily see D-Will getting "leftovers", I agree with Budinger being the short-term target here. If you look at the way Adelman's offense is designed - four-and-out - it makes a lot more sense to have Kirilenko slide over to the 4 with Budinger in at the 3. AK can play out of the high post in a Love-like manner while Budinger can space the floor (an Adelman offense tenet).

D-Will's splits as a starter in 30 mpg last year were, in short, bad. Those %% are terrible, and 11-6 with a three and very little else isn't even worth rostering as an end-of-bench option in standard leagues.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7577
(Past Year: 426)
Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: The Bay to LA

Re: Let's Give Kevin Love a hand...

Postby The Thrill » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:18 am

RedHopeful wrote:
The Thrill wrote:http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/174638131.html

I'd go with Budinger and Cunningham as short term targets for now. Cunningham might come off the bench, but I think he's going to get the minutes. And Adelman loves Budinger. Williams gets the leftovers for now. Williams may have a future, but Glen Taylor really really wants this team to do well now. He needs investors into this team and wanted that to happen this season. I don't think they put Williams out there if they feel they can stay more competitive and win more games with veterans such as Budinger or Amundson while they await the return of Rubio and Love to really kick it in gear for a playoff chance.

This seems a bit backwards to me. Give the guy with the highest ceiling the leftovers? Is that sound strategy regarding a second overall pick? A guy who either is going to be a big part of their future or have his value pushed up to entice teams on the trade market? I'm not saying Adelman pencils Williams in for 30+ a night but he's going to see if there is some shine in him. Just as much as Taylor wants the team to do well, the season isn't lost. Love is going to miss like what, 16 games? If Williams doesn't fall on his face, I don't see how Cunningham ends up with more time.


I just haven't read Adelman giving Williams as much praise as what I see in blurbs here and there like he does other players. I get a sense they are willing to bring Williams along slowly or, be cautious in how they use him. But, you know, I could totally be wrong there. That's just my "in between the lines" of what I read here and there when I sit on the crapper in the office restroom. :-D
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9989
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 19 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: At the line

Re: Let's Give Kevin Love a hand...

Postby deadshot11 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:27 am

Read a blurb that Williams is more comfortable at power forward than small. But coach seems to like Cunningham a lot.

The crazier news is that this means Brandon Roy is the number one option for a while on this team. I haven't seen too much speculation on his fantasy value.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1494
(Past Year: 27)
Joined: 26 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Let's Give Kevin Love a hand...

Postby lastemp3ror » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:10 pm

The Thrill wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
The Thrill wrote:http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/174638131.html

I'd go with Budinger and Cunningham as short term targets for now. Cunningham might come off the bench, but I think he's going to get the minutes. And Adelman loves Budinger. Williams gets the leftovers for now. Williams may have a future, but Glen Taylor really really wants this team to do well now. He needs investors into this team and wanted that to happen this season. I don't think they put Williams out there if they feel they can stay more competitive and win more games with veterans such as Budinger or Amundson while they await the return of Rubio and Love to really kick it in gear for a playoff chance.

This seems a bit backwards to me. Give the guy with the highest ceiling the leftovers? Is that sound strategy regarding a second overall pick? A guy who either is going to be a big part of their future or have his value pushed up to entice teams on the trade market? I'm not saying Adelman pencils Williams in for 30+ a night but he's going to see if there is some shine in him. Just as much as Taylor wants the team to do well, the season isn't lost. Love is going to miss like what, 16 games? If Williams doesn't fall on his face, I don't see how Cunningham ends up with more time.


I just haven't read Adelman giving Williams as much praise as what I see in blurbs here and there like he does other players. I get a sense they are willing to bring Williams along slowly or, be cautious in how they use him. But, you know, I could totally be wrong there. That's just my "in between the lines" of what I read here and there when I sit on the crapper in the office restroom. :-D


Really? I have read that Adelman had nothing but praises for him over the summer for the work he put in.
lastemp3ror
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1385
Joined: 2 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: The District

Re: Let's Give Kevin Love a hand...

Postby bujfan2030 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:34 pm

Love's timetable has been shortened a bit to 5-6 weeks out http://www.awolfamongwolves.com/2012/10/injury-update-kevin-love-is-probably-out-more-like-5-6-weeks/

Whenever I see an Adelman interview and a reporter asks him how he thought Williams played it just seems like he's really reluctant to praise Williams. and somewhere in his answer you will always hear the phrase, "needs to work hard". I think last season just left the Wolves with a lot of doubts and Williams has a tough road ahead of him to dis-spell those impressions.
Image
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1420
(Past Year: 96)
Joined: 1 Dec 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Let's Give Kevin Love a hand...

Postby jphanned » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Wolves still saying the timetable remains 6-8 weeks.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7577
(Past Year: 426)
Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: The Bay to LA

Re: Let's Give Kevin Love a hand...

Postby The Thrill » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:11 pm

lastemp3ror wrote:Really? I have read that Adelman had nothing but praises for him over the summer for the work he put in.


Yes, they are saying he worked harder(er) over this past summer. But in terms of whether that amounts to anything or plans on how they are going to use him, the comments seem to get vague and then the praise gets blurred on whether his hard work will really amount to anything this season. With other players, it feels like they are praising something more specific and you read it thinking, "ok, they just might use him in such-and-such situation."

I certainly don't read everything, so I'm just basing comments on what I have read. Again, maybe my in between the lines is bull. LOL. But that's my take on it.

Hey! I found the article I was looking for when I referenced the Glen Taylor sale. It is below. To me, 16 games for a team that is fringe/borderline playoff worthy actually is kind of a big deal. :-?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/171862611.html?refer=y

Oh, and public leagues may want to take note. Land Kirilenko in your draft (normal draft slot if possible) and sell him high after month 1. True, Kirilenko's value is in some of the side stats (steals, blocks), but I suspect his value will be at its peak after month 1 (in terms of pts/rebs) and if you can land good value for that, you may want to take advantage of a plan like that.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9989
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 19 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: At the line

Re: Let's Give Kevin Love a hand...

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:15 pm

The Thrill wrote:Oh, and public leagues may want to take note. Land Kirilenko in your draft (normal draft slot if possible) and sell him high after month 1. True, Kirilenko's value is in some of the side stats (steals, blocks), but I suspect his value will be at its peak after month 1 (in terms of pts/rebs) and if you can land good value for that, you may want to take advantage of a plan like that.

Especially when one also factors in the guy isn't made of steel. :-b
Image
RedHopeful
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18233
(Past Year: 706)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: http://twitter.com/Redhopeful

Re: Let's Give Kevin Love a hand...

Postby bujfan2030 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:32 am

Via twitter
Bradford Doolittle ‏@bbdoolittle
Per Rick Adelman, Dante Cunningham and Derrick Williams are competing to replace Kevin Love in 1st unit. DC starts vs #Bulls #Timberwolves

And for some reason Stiemsma gets the start at center tonight.
Image
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1420
(Past Year: 96)
Joined: 1 Dec 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Let's Give Kevin Love a hand...

Postby plonden » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:21 am

Kevin Love is back! Shockingly, we have some surprise news that isn't bad.

Kevin Love is a surprise activation tonight for Twolves vs. Nuggets. He will start the game.

Source: Associated Press
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4056
(Past Year: 81)
Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues




  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact