Amare's knee - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Amare's knee

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Amare's knee

Postby deadshot11 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Amar’e Stoudemire left the Knicks on Sunday to get an MRI that revealed a ruptured cyst on the back of his left knee. The affliction is known as a Baker’s cyst or popiteal.

Stoudemire will be out two to three weeks and miss the season opener in Brooklyn on Nov. 1.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=11224#ixzz29xb3MxU2

I've never heard of a ruptured cyst, but I'd actually be concerned if they're not going to surgery. As I understand it, a cyst is an extra growth, and the fact that they're leaving it in there leaves the potential for it to cause future problems.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Amare's knee

Postby silentjim » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Not a good start for Amare.

Should be interesting to see how NY shakes out.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 633)

Postby deadshot11 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:54 pm

It looks like based on this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002202/

that it's just a build up of fluid, but that his cyst ruptured (burst). So it doesn't sound like they'd be lingering effects. Though the article says that if the cause of the cyst isn't dealt with, it can return. And that last part doesn't sound good to me.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Kind of feel for fantasy owners who have already taken the plunge but they should have already been aware of his declining game and, at best, questionable fit alongside Melo. At this point, owners should be happy if he puts up something close to last year's averages.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:48 am

Amare has not been on my fantasy radar for years. I have a hard time drafting any player whose contract is not insurable.
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 155)

Postby ggs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:28 pm

only a few seasons removed from a no doubt first-rounder!
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 144)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:31 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Kind of feel for fantasy owners who have already taken the plunge but they should have already been aware of his declining game and, at best, questionable fit alongside Melo. At this point, owners should be happy if he puts up something close to last year's averages.

He seems to have been going in the 5th round or later in well informed leagues, so I think the discount is already there. I'm down to owing him on just the one team personally, and that number should shrink to none next year (barring a trade or miracle resurgence).
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Kind of feel for fantasy owners who have already taken the plunge but they should have already been aware of his declining game and, at best, questionable fit alongside Melo. At this point, owners should be happy if he puts up something close to last year's averages.

He seems to have been going in the 5th round or later in well informed leagues, so I think the discount is already there. I'm down to owing him on just the one team personally, and that number should shrink to none next year (barring a trade or miracle resurgence).

See, I don't consider the 5th round any discount. Taking him in this range, owners will be lucky to break even. Would much rather have Pekovic, Lopez and a slew of other bigs before him.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:53 pm

RedHopeful wrote:See, I don't consider the 5th round any discount. Taking him in this range, owners will be lucky to break even. Would much rather have Pekovic, Lopez and a slew of other bigs before him.

I'd agree with you (and I haven't drafted him there) but that's where the injury issues and name value index him. Plus he was ranked 8th two years ago, which doesn't convince me, but does lots of folks. Given that I think the 5th is actually kind of reasonable for a GM who's actually bullish on him. I just avoided the whole mess.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:51 am

Amare Stoudemire to miss at least 1st 6 weeks of season with knee injury, according to league sources. Knicks expected to announce tomorrow

Chris Broussard Twitter
RedHopeful

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates