Time to eliminate the C? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Time to eliminate the C?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Time to eliminate the C?

Postby geodbear » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:34 pm

Interesting item that the NBA will eliminate the center position from the all-star ballot, and will have 3 "front-court" positions to vote for instead of 2 forwards and 1 center.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/10/23/all-star-centers-ballot/index.html

Is it time to rethink the C in fantasy basketball? I've disliked Yahoo's default of having two C's to begin with. I remember when nba.com ran fantasy, they had the F/C position to go with 1 C as the default.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 219)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Time to eliminate the C?

Postby The Thrill » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Or better yet....

1 PG
1 SG
1 SF
1 PF
1 C

You know, your standard starting lineup? :-B

And then have 5 Util each day as well.

I've never been a big fan of "G" or "F" personally. Though I can tolerate them much better than the 2nd "C" position.

And for that matter, I like the "G" and "F" positions more than "CI" or "MI" on the Fantasy Baseball side.

[/rant]
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 252)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:53 pm

I'm with you guys. Two center notations in std leagues are overkill and I like the idea one of them morphs into a F/C slot. Perhaps we should revisit this next off season in many of our leagues...
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby silentjim » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:16 pm

It's interesting to me that teams that don't have good centers talk about not needing them and using combo guys and rotating them in.

Teams with good centers of course utilize them and talk about how important having a legit center is.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

Postby deadshot11 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:18 pm

My main league's been running 1 C and 3 Util slots for years now.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:57 am

Why not 3 guard and 4 forward slots? Or 2/3 and two utilities? The positional eligibility is the most contrived part of fantasy sports, and while it flies OK in baseball, it looks a little sketchy in basketball. Let people roam free positionally and have some space to really work he stats instead of worrying about finding a PG eligible player for their Ast punt team.

I'd even be OK just dropping C and calling both PF and C just PF's, or big mothering dudes, or whatever.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby GRIN » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:05 pm

I don't believe Yahoo or ESPN currently allow for a combo PF/C position. Maybe next year?
GRIN
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:06 pm

GRIN wrote:I don't believe Yahoo or ESPN currently allow for a combo PF/C position. Maybe next year?

Yahoo used to. :-C They also used to allow game limit settings for Head to Head play, which is something I would dearly love to be able to use again.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby bujfan2030 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:53 am

Based on the multiple formats I see in my leagues, it is pretty arbitrary. Never could understand why ESPN so rigid on position eligibility.
I'm guessing besides tradition, there might be concerns about newbies ending up with unbalanced teams :-o
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers