Is it time to ditch Yahoo ? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Is it time to ditch Yahoo ?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Re: Is it time to ditch Yahoo ?

Postby The Thrill » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks for the response and taking the time to visit the cafe! ;-D

I agree with others that I really like Yahoo's format and layout. I have bit and pieces I'd prefer to be different when scouring the FA pool, but it's better than other tools I've played in the past.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:09 pm

The Thrill wrote:Thanks for the response and taking the time to visit the cafe! ;-D

I agree with others that I really like Yahoo's format and layout. I have bit and pieces I'd prefer to be different when scouring the FA pool, but it's better than other tools I've played in the past.

And as always, we like to hear that sort of feedback and advice. We may not agree, or we may agree but not have the time/resources to do something, but much of why I come here is because we're curious what you guys like and don't like.
Fantasy Sports Genie
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 4ndrew » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:02 am

Genie, thanks for posting here and responding to people's concerns :)

FWIW the one league I'm still involved with has taken to running offline drafts using a google spreadsheet that everyone can write to. The draft takes place over several weeks as we're spread around the world, there's running jokes, trash talk & pictures posted - basically its a lot of fun - and then the commish enters it all into yahoo once its finished. Its a pretty good way to get around any outage problems at draft time.
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby lacunacoiler » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:00 am

I'm glad that yahoo is finally adding more features for commissioners to make managing keeper/dynasty leagues much easier... Been using espn as my main fantasy sports league for keepers/dynasty leagues since it has more "features" that makes fantasy experience in a keeper/dynasty league or any unique-styled league(survivor themed leagues) a good experience IMHO..

I love the new feature of the ability to set keepers.. As a commish I no longer have to write the keepers of each team & hopefully I don't lose it.. Now there is one place where I can just check it, & I also got the ability to edit their keepers in case they are violating one of my keeper rules...

Also love the ability to trade draft picks.. Been wanting this one for years on yahoo in my dynasty & keeper leagues..

Also I love the new setting in the commish tools regarding transfering team ownership.. Now I no longer have to wait for a day or 2 for yahoo to do it for me..

Also loved it since a year ago the redesigned messageboards.. I hate the ones you guys had before, its so much clutter & trying to figure out the thread that a new post is replying to is a pain in the rear... Love the ability to have polls in it.. Also loved the fact that you can finally link images or url links, & it also got some nice basic settings like bold/italcs/bullet-list... Any chance you increase the amout of threads you can pin? Why limit to 3? Also why 5k chars limit for commish note? I have to make a seperate thread for my league rules & keeper rules, and I just use the commish notes to write Hi to everyone...

Also when will you guys add in custom leagues the aiblity to have widgets/custom-urls in league front page? I'm sure some don't like it, but I do believe custom urls(especially from those who can make a good one) adds a unique identity to the private league you are playing...

Also when will you guys have a league live-chat section? Like the ones in espn custom leagues.. I know in my espn leagues I use a chatango-like widget for league chatboxes regarding league matters or anything else... I do believe its a good idea for yahoo to add a chatbox for people to hangout & talk about anything else... I hate it when I have to use an external program like skype or yahoo messenger to just talk with a manager regarding an issue or trade proposals...

Also I would love to see yahoo give commisioners the ability to PAUSE LIVE DRAFTS & REVERSE PICK SELECTIONS during live draft like in espn.. Sometimes a manager gets disconnected, & when that happens it autopicks for them.. If they don't have a player on queue, it will autodraft the highest o-rank available that they might not like...

Also I wish yahoo would somewhat reduce total powers that a commish can do with their private leagues: specifically remove the commish's ability to lock someone's ability to post in the league or email league members..
The commish can already delete topics/posts if they deem it too offensive, so why give them too much power to mute someone who constructively criticize them? Happened to me before in a custom league where I defended a manager for how he was treated fairly on a trade based on the commish's reason for vetoing it, & the tyrant muted me completely after I gave my opinion in a non-angry & constructive way.. I have to look in my yahoo inbox to find the email adress of the other gm's & email them to stand up to him and post their opinions on the trade he got & the trade he vetoed..

Also I would like yahoo to add a "note section" in the trading block area if a manager has a certain condition on a trade he is looking for...

I know that it seems I'm trying to make yahoo be like espn, so don't take it as an insult to yahoo.. Even with the recent addition of new features in yahoo fantasy sports, I still find some places to be miles ahead when it comes to features IMHO... Yahoo is simple & very intuitive for any manager, but I know they can be even so much better by adding more features that will make managing teams much easier & custom leagues ahving a unique experience...
lacunacoiler Beginner
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:16 pm

This is why these threads often end up being interesting...
Any chance you increase the amout of threads you can pin? Why limit to 3? Also why 5k chars limit for commish note?

Not sure on the pinned threads. I can ask the message board guy. Re: the commish note, it is probably because it gets displayed in-line on the league home. You specifically want this for your league rules? We've talked about adding a more formal way for a commish to input league rules. Sounds like that might be what you really want. That way it doesn't get pasted in-line in the league home every time, and you can post timely commish notes without bumping your rules off.

Also when will you guys add in custom leagues the aiblity to have widgets/custom-urls in league front page?

If I understand what you mean by 'widgets', I honestly wouldn't hold your breath on that one. I think it is something we see as taking a huge amount of work, being very risky in terms of security holes, and having little demand from users. As for a custom URL, at least to some extent that exists today and has for years. Your commish has the ability to set a URL of the form
http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.c ... cafeisking
and as long as you renew your league through us as expected, it works from season to season.

Also when will you guys have a league live-chat section?

That one is on "the list".

Also I would love to see yahoo give commisioners the ability to PAUSE LIVE DRAFTS & REVERSE PICK SELECTIONS during live draft

Not only do we have that, we've had it for like 3 years now.

Also I wish yahoo would somewhat reduce total powers that a commish can do with their private leagues: specifically remove the commish's ability to lock someone's ability to post in the league or email league members.

That isn't likely to change, to be honest. There is a fundamental philosophical decision that if you play in a private league, you trust the commish. If the commish does things that might make you distrust them, we try to make sure those are visible (through league transactions, for instance). But I don't quite get the use case where you trust a commish to edit your lineup, drop your players, etc. etc., but not to control message board posts. For private leagues to work, the commish has to be trustworthy.

add a "note section" in the trading block area

I like that, and it wouldn't be very difficult. It probably couldn't be very long, but adding a short note should be pretty simple, actually.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully it helps to know that a few of the things you want have already existed for years.
Fantasy Sports Genie
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby GRIN » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Also I would love to see yahoo give commisioners the ability to PAUSE LIVE DRAFTS & REVERSE PICK SELECTIONS during live draft

I was thinking the same thing. I saw the tab up there at the top of the draft application during my draft Sunday night. ;-D
GRIN
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 4)

Postby deadshot11 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:

Our commish said when he tried it, it had a limited number of times. I don't know how long ago this was. He said that's the main reason he uses the ESPN draft interface. (and then enters the results into yahoo)
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:21 pm

deadshot11 wrote:

Our commish said when he tried it, it had a limited number of times. I don't know how long ago this was. He said that's the main reason he uses the ESPN draft interface. (and then enters the results into yahoo)

That is correct. We limit the number of times/duration of time you can pause, and how many picks you can undo. The presence of limits aren't going to go away; to maintain sanity around our draft scheduling, we need to be able to have some idea how long drafts are going to last. If you could repeatedly just reset your draft to pick #1 and draft for days, that would cause us problems. If you find that the current limits are too restrictive, that would be good feedback, but with the limits we have now I think we hear that feedback on the order of once or twice a year among millions of leagues.

What sort of pauses/pause time/undone picks does your commish feel he needs?
Fantasy Sports Genie
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby deadshot11 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:That is correct. We limit the number of times/duration of time you can pause, and how many picks you can undo. The presence of limits aren't going to go away; to maintain sanity around our draft scheduling, we need to be able to have some idea how long drafts are going to last. If you could repeatedly just reset your draft to pick #1 and draft for days, that would cause us problems. If you find that the current limits are too restrictive, that would be good feedback, but with the limits we have now I think we hear that feedback on the order of once or twice a year among millions of leagues.

He likes having it unlimited because we used to draft in person at his house. Now everyone's in different cities, so if someone's internet connection drops or computer crashes, he wants to not lose everything and have it ruined. So we're used to a slow draft and he wants to make sure everything is done fairly with regards to everyone picking who they wanted (instead of autopick having to take over). We've had long stretches where the commish has had to pick for someone who's only on the phone and not at a computer, so the ability to pause the draft, give the manager his two minutes, make sure the pick is entered correctly, is what I think he's looking for.

I don't think drafts would last forever without limits, because the other managers aren't going to sit around all day and keep redoing the draft. Yes, in theory it's possible, but I don't see how that would ever happen.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:47 pm

deadshot11 wrote:

That is correct. We limit the number of times/duration of time you can pause, and how many picks you can undo. The presence of limits aren't going to go away; to maintain sanity around our draft scheduling, we need to be able to have some idea how long drafts are going to last. If you could repeatedly just reset your draft to pick #1 and draft for days, that would cause us problems. If you find that the current limits are too restrictive, that would be good feedback, but with the limits we have now I think we hear that feedback on the order of once or twice a year among millions of leagues.

Couldn't you simply cap the drafts at something reasonable say 8 hours?
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)

PreviousNext

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers