Is it time to ditch Yahoo ? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Is it time to ditch Yahoo ?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Is it time to ditch Yahoo ?

Postby Rizzo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Am I the only one who just realized there is an iPhone app for Yahoo fantasy basketball? Definitely makes my life a little easier.
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Is it time to ditch Yahoo ?

Postby silentjim » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Rizzo wrote:Am I the only one who just realized there is an iPhone app for Yahoo fantasy basketball? Definitely makes my life a little easier.

Should have read this thread earlier. :-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 735)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:22 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
deadshot11 wrote:
Our commish said when he tried it, it had a limited number of times. I don't know how long ago this was. He said that's the main reason he uses the ESPN draft interface. (and then enters the results into yahoo)

That is correct. We limit the number of times/duration of time you can pause, and how many picks you can undo. The presence of limits aren't going to go away; to maintain sanity around our draft scheduling, we need to be able to have some idea how long drafts are going to last. If you could repeatedly just reset your draft to pick #1 and draft for days, that would cause us problems. If you find that the current limits are too restrictive, that would be good feedback, but with the limits we have now I think we hear that feedback on the order of once or twice a year among millions of leagues.

What sort of pauses/pause time/undone picks does your commish feel he needs?

Couldn't you simply cap the drafts at something reasonable say 8 hours?

There are several things we could simply do :-). One was limit the number/duration of pauses/undone picks, and that is what we did. It actually was simpler than limiting the overall duration (and an 8 hour draft would be problematic for us), and has lead to almost no complaints.
Fantasy Sports Genie
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby geodbear » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 am

So does Yahoo! plan on having any regular articles/content on Fantasy Basketball this year? I find it funny to see on my fantasy basketball page that latest expert articles are Buser's from last season.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 266)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:47 pm

geodbear wrote:So does Yahoo! plan on having any regular articles/content on Fantasy Basketball this year? I find it funny to see on my fantasy basketball page that latest expert articles are Buser's from last season.

Yeah... there is a bug on that. When Buser left, things didn't get adjusted. So the page is still trying to show Buser's articles (there are none), and not showing the new author's.
Fantasy Sports Genie
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:25 pm

Everyone read their apology emails? :-b

Dear Yahoo! Fantasy Users,

As I mentioned in my earlier email, Yahoo! works hard to provide great experiences for our users every day. For you, we understand that Fantasy is a core part of your daily routine during this time of year. On Sunday we experienced technical issues which caused the Fantasy experience to be inaccessible. We're sorry. Our entire team worked tirelessly to re-establish the service - however, we had a significant outage. We know this created inconvenience and frustration for millions of our fans, and we feel we owe you an explanation.

So what happened? At Yahoo!, we have giant machines called "filers" that process a lot of the real-time data and stats for us and for you. We do millions of calculations every hour for our games, and normally our machines can handle this with no problem. Recently, we discovered a hardware issue in one of the filers that caused the other one to overload. We replaced some hardware, re-configured the setup, and did some testing. However this Sunday - at approximately 12:15 p.m. Eastern - the new configuration failed. This created an overload on storage capacity and took the Fantasy part of our site down.

We had dozens of engineers from various teams working together to try to determine the cause and fix it. One option was to fall back on another data center, but that would have meant shutting the game down and losing scoring data. We wanted to avoid that at all costs. Ultimately, we were able to move our mobile apps to a back-up data center, free up storage to get the PC version of the game working, and get the mobile apps up in a "read-only" state - meaning you could see scores and data, but you still couldn't set lineups and interact.

We spent Sunday night and most of Monday looking at dozens of potential causes. Monday afternoon, we stress-tested our system. Everything seemed to be in working order, so we turned on all our mobile app functions in time for Monday Night Football. Everything performed as expected and continues to do so. We'll have all hands on deck this coming Sunday to closely monitor performance and ensure we can respond quickly in case of any abnormal activity.

We know many of you have questions about your leagues and games, so we've also set up a FAQ here that will explain how we are going to handle various scenarios.

Finally, we know we failed you this weekend, and there's no way to fix that. As a token of our appreciation for your patience and continued support, we wanted to give something back. First, we're offering a complimentary football weekly Scouting Report for the remainder of the year. Hopefully this will help you down the stretch. The report includes weekly expert analysis, rankings and news to help you make smart decisions. Second, we are offering all our users a 20% discount for the rest the year at the Yahoo! Sports Store.

For any updates, we will keep you informed on @YahooSports and facebook.com/yahoosports.

We won't stop working to provide you with new and improved features that help you enjoy your Sundays.

Thanks again for playing and for your patience.

Best,

Ken Fuchs
Head of Yahoo! Sports

Did this past Sunday screw up anyone in basketball leagues?
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Postby deadshot11 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:58 am

StatTracker being $10 seems a little high to me. The last time they charged for it, wasn't it like $3-4?
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:31 am

I find the lack of content startling. But I still like their interface.
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 153)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:14 pm

deadshot11 wrote:StatTracker being $10 seems a little high to me. The last time they charged for it, wasn't it like $3-4?

Not sure what this is referring to. When we last charged for live stats, I believe they were $10, and were definitely more than $3-4. But we stopped, and are not charging for live stats now. Where did this come from?
Fantasy Sports Genie
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby deadshot11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:02 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
deadshot11 wrote:StatTracker being $10 seems a little high to me. The last time they charged for it, wasn't it like $3-4?

Not sure what this is referring to. When we last charged for live stats, I believe they were $10, and were definitely more than $3-4. But we stopped, and are not charging for live stats now. Where did this come from?

It was weird. The day I posted that, I hit the stat tracker button, and the pop up window asked for me to sign up and pay $10. It showed the box scores for the current games, but didn't show my team's stats or how the league standings were changing. I assumed that it was a change for the season. The next day when I clicked it, everything was functioning as normal.

Weird glitch?
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Previous

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers