Early season advice thread - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions

Early season advice thread

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Early season advice thread

Postby itskerem » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Thought it might be a good idea to start a general advice thread. I have a couple tips I rely on for getting things going after the draft.

Get your strategy straight
If you're going to punt a category, now is the time to solidify that commitment. Don't keep Kevin Martin all year if you're punting FTs — now is the time to move him. Take some time to analyze your team; the easiest tool to use is probably BasketballMonster's team analysis tool: http://basketballmonster.com/TeamAnalysis.aspx

Trade up
This strategy might not work for everyone, but I am personally a huge fan of trading quantity for quality. In another thread a couple days ago, I discussed trading Tyson Chandler and Anderson Varejao for Greg Monroe. This is a high price to pay, but it's probably worth it because of the flexibility that having that extra roster spot will give you. Every year there is a Ryan Anderson or Dorrell Wright (ie eventual top-30 guy) to be found on waivers. On that note...

Pick up FAs aggressively
Your league-mates might not like it, but being active on the waiver wire is always a good idea, and especially so this time of year. Pay attention to changing team rotations, and you're likely to find some very solid guys.

Please add to the list guys!
itskerem
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Response Team
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Early season advice thread

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:47 am

Good post and felt it was worthy of being stickied. :-)

I gave some advice for some real beginners already HERE.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask in this thread no matter how silly you may think it is. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Most Up-to-Date Rankings

Postby djerey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Where is the best place to find the most up to date player rankings?
Yahoo 12 Team H2H
G: Kyrie, Teague, OJ Mayo, Kevin Martin, Trey Burke
F/C: M. Gasol, P. Milsap, B. Griffin, Thaddeus, Spencer Hawes, S. Marion, J. Dudley, Luis Scola
djerey
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 7)

Re: Most Up-to-Date Rankings

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:34 pm

djerey wrote:Where is the best place to find the most up to date player rankings?

Basketball monster's projections prior to the start of the season.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

League rules?

Postby chowdog_20m » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:02 am

i Had someone ask if in my league you could change your roster with every game or not? i dont know how to set it up to do that. any help is appreciated
chowdog_20m
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Re: League rules?

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:25 am

chowdog_20m wrote:i Had someone ask if in my league you could change your roster with every game or not? i dont know how to set it up to do that. any help is appreciated

Are you referring to making your league daily instead of weekly? Ie. Where roster spots can be adjusted every day to maximize games played?

Also, who is your fantasy provider (Yahoo, ESPN, CBS)?
RedHopeful

Postby chowdog_20m » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:39 am

i am currently on ESPN fantasy and it is setup matchups by week. but can you change ur players by day to day games?
chowdog_20m
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:57 pm

chowdog_20m wrote:i am currently on ESPN fantasy and it is setup matchups by week. but can you change ur players by day to day games?

I'm personally not all that familiar with ESPN but have you checked their help section? I assume you should be able to change it to a daily league before the NBA season starts.
RedHopeful

Postby Dongmunch » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Great advice in the first post.

Something to think about, esp when punting a stat or two, is that the player's value totally changes when you hone in on certain stats, so keep that in mind.

To stay with the Kevin Martin example, O-Rank on Yahoo right now is 74 (just using that since this early on a lot of managers are focusing on that). If you're going to punt FTs, then to you, his value plummets from that. Don't be afraid to trade him for a guy ranked lower, since to you his value might be way higher than his overall ranked value and it would help your team out way more than having KevMart wasted on your roster. And if you're aiming for a guy ranked way lower who has much higher value on your team when you punt FTs, even better! You can try to trade KevMart for two lower ranked players who would actually be worth more on your team.

Hope that made sense.
LOD - Standard Yahoo 12team 9cat
Westbrook/Ellis/MoWill/LouWill
Thornton/Redick
Gay/DWright/Carter
Brand/Mullens
Cousins/BLopez
Dongmunch
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit