Keeper League: Salary Question-Dropped Drafted Players - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper League: Salary Question-Dropped Drafted Players

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Keeper League: Salary Question-Dropped Drafted Players

Postby JDyna$ty » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:09 am

I'm in a keeper league. Drafted players are given salaries based on their winning draft auction bid.

Free agent pickups are automatically assigned a $5/salary.

There is no in season cap.

The problem is this, drafted players who are then dropped were not taken into consideration when establishing the $5/salary for free agent pickups. Here is the scenario: Player A was drafted for $14, Player A has been dropped. Should whoever picks up player A be held to the $14 salary, or should whoever picks up player A get him for the $5/FA contract that is in the rules.

Additional note: FA pickups are 3 times a week, and always done by Auction Bidding. So everyone has access to this player(just varying amounts of money to spend depending on what they have spent thus far)
JDyna$ty
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Keeper League: Salary Question-Dropped Drafted Players

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:15 am

Since you guys didn't decide on the matter before the season, you've gotta go with option B ($5).
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)

Postby JDyna$ty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:04 am

Thanks for the response. In general I agree that holding to the league rules is the way to go(even if it applies to unforeseen issues). However, I think rules can be amended by a 10/12 count, so I'm just trying to do what is right. I'm not too keen on changing it at this point and having to determine what to do with the player already picked up.

However, I am interested in "league construction" and am just curious to know what the RIGHT way to handle this should have been from the jump. So if anyone has some hindsight advice, i'd be interested in hearing it. Thanks.
JDyna$ty
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 7)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:41 pm

JDyna$ty wrote:Thanks for the response. In general I agree that holding to the league rules is the way to go(even if it applies to unforeseen issues). However, I think rules can be amended by a 10/12 count, so I'm just trying to do what is right. I'm not too keen on changing it at this point and having to determine what to do with the player already picked up.

However, I am interested in "league construction" and am just curious to know what the RIGHT way to handle this should have been from the jump. So if anyone has some hindsight advice, i'd be interested in hearing it. Thanks.

In every applicable league I've played, rules would only be allowed to be changed in-season if every single member gave their blessing.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:58 pm

So agreed you shouldn't change rules mid-season.

As for the "right" thing to do going forward in future years. What my keeper (baseball) league used to do was to say: if a player is dropped and clears waivers, then their cost resets. In your case, that would probably be analogous to setting their cost to $5 if they clear waivers. On the other hand, if a player is claimed off of waivers, then the new owner would take on their existing cost. Now. In your case I'm not sure what that means if a player could be bought at auction for $3 then dropped. If they clear waivers, their value would actually go *up* to $5, which seems odd.

The other thing I can note is that my league no longer does this heh... it led to a strange dynamic at times. An "unprotectable" expensive player is dropped. But that player would be really interesting the next year if their cost was reset. So it becomes a game of chicken. Either somebody claims that player off waivers just to stop the madness, or it becomes the "who can stay up late" contest to see who nabs the player when they become a free agent and their value suddenly skyrockets. I don't think I could point to any case where someone got a really valuable player in this way, but it was stressing people out.
Fantasy Sports Genie
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner