John Hollinger hired by Grizzlies - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

John Hollinger hired by Grizzlies

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

John Hollinger hired by Grizzlies

Postby baller crimson » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:40 am

According to the Commercial Appeal's Grizzlies blog Twitter feed (now that's a mouthful), the Grizzlies have hired ESPN analyst John Hollinger to a front office position.

He will apparently be their new VP of Basketball Operations. Seems like NBA teams are more open to hiring writers into their front office now...second one this year (that I know of), the other one being Sebastian Pruiti with OKC.

LINK
baller crimson
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: John Hollinger hired by Grizzlies

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Interesting. I would guess Hollinger is being hired more for his basketball analytics than his writing ability, but who knows for sure.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:47 pm

silentjim wrote:Interesting. I would guess Hollinger is being hired more for his basketball analytics than his writing ability, but who knows for sure.

:-b

Good for Hollinger. I'm happy guys with advanced metric backgrounds are gaining traction among NBA employment opportunities. It's about time former players and guys who have been around the game their entire lives solely relying on the "eye test" be replaced.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 703)

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:05 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
silentjim wrote:Interesting. I would guess Hollinger is being hired more for his basketball analytics than his writing ability, but who knows for sure.

:-b

Good for Hollinger. I'm happy guys with advanced metric backgrounds are gaining traction among NBA employment opportunities. It's about time former players and guys who have been around the game their entire lives solely relying on the "eye test" be replaced.

I have heard a lot of neat arguments of late about the difficulty in using basketball metrics compared to baseball. Basketball and football being true team sports where baseball is typically a 1 one 1 match-up of pitching vs hitting when using analytics. I'm sure basketball can use more stats, but I think it would require a lot more than saying Lebron is 4 of 13 on game ending shots. It would requite individual defender stats, shot type, defensive scheme, and insane number of other variables. Who knows maybe it'll happen some day.

Stumbling into a good team like Memphis can't hurt Hollinger for sure.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:08 pm

silentjim wrote:Stumbling into a good team like Memphis can't hurt Hollinger for sure.

Actually, I would have preferred to go to a cellar dweller like the Wizards or Bobcats. See if he could help immensely improve their personnel decisions. :-?
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 703)

Postby bujfan2030 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Even though Memphis is a good team, they've got a few areas where they could be better. For example, should Rudy Gay really have the highest usage rate on that team. They're still near the bottom of the league in 3's taken and eFG%. My guess is that having to pick so late all the time, they brought Hollinger to help with personnel as well.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 96)

Postby plonden » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:08 am

Isn't it funny how much of a difference a few years can make? Memphis is suddenly a very desirable destination for NBA players and personnel, whereas a few years back they would have been lumped into the same category as Washington and Charlotte.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers