Calderon and the Raptors - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Calderon and the Raptors

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Calderon and the Raptors

Postby silentjim » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:49 pm

Anyone watching the Raptors? Noticed that Calderon is 6-6 as a starter while Lowry is 2-13. And yet they keep talking about moving him. I know they aren't going to win this season, but it just seems odd for sure. Anyone got some good information on how they look? Who's making them better, etc?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 735)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Calderon and the Raptors

Postby bujfan2030 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:52 pm

I think part of that 6-6 can be attributed to the absense of Bargnani and the subsequent line-up changes. Calderon still has his issues primarily on defense. But really all the trade talk comes down to him being in the last year of his deal and so many teams needing point guard help. Raptors realistically need to get what they can for him.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby cnote23 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:26 am

Calderon has really impressed me his Turnovers is down one thing is everyone on the raptors have better chemistry with calderon plus he hands out dime better then lowry I almost feel they should play lowry at the 2 spot and keep calderon at the pg spot.
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)

Postby ggs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:34 pm

i think we can all agree AA has been the impetus to the change we see.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 146)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:31 am

This shizz happens with Calderon all the time. Pay it no never mind, this is just the latest in a seemingly endless string of Raptors point guard 'controversies' involving Jose. As a full time starter his defense is beyond putrid and the team suffers for it, and that, IMO anyway, trumps his hugely efficient offense. If he weren't such a conservative passer I might feel differently, but his ability to set up his team mates is more limited than it seems at first blush. He's great passing to perimeter jump shooters, and he works the pick and roll really well, but beyond that I find him lacking. His huge reservations about making higher risk passes kills me - and here I'm talking about those risky passes that leave team mates looking at wide open drives or a trip to the line.

The win-loss has way more to do with Bargnani and some other team issues than it does with Calderon. For fantasy I'd ride him until the wheel fall off (and I am in a bunch of leagues, but get ready for the platoon (at best) once Lowry gets healthy.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)

Postby smitty42 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:27 pm

Since Kyle Lowry injured his triceps, Calderon has averaged 14.4 ppg, 11.0 apg, 4.8 rpg and has shot 40 per cent from downtown.

One of the reasons that the Raptors have had success of late with Calderon in the starting five is that all Calderon is really worried about doing is making sure that his teammates get the best looks possible on offense while trying not to be a negative at the defensive end of the floor. Lowry, while a capable passer, is not in Calderon's class as a playmaker.

Calderon's passing is making everyone else more effective by keeping them involved and the ball moving whenever he's out on the court.

This problem is even further exacerbated by the fact that the other four starters on the club are terrible passers. It was no accident that Landry Fields was brought in to start alongside Lowry because he is actually quite good at acting as a facilitator and as a guy that keeps the ball moving, but of course he started the year terribly and hasn't played since having elbow surgery back in November.

Simply put, Lowry doesn't fit as well with these starters as Calderon does, and that's less a question of mindset than it is of skill set; it just so happens that Lowry's attempts to compensate have proven less than ideal so far this season.

Help me with advice :)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=73255
10 Team non-keeper: FG% FT% 3PT PTS REB AST STL BLK TO
PG: Jennings, Jack, Rondo
SG: Ellis, Leonard
SF: T Evans, George Hill
PF: Nowitzki, kirilenko, Amir Johnson
C: B Lopez, Noah, A Davis
(2 utility, 3 bench spots)
smitty42 Beginner
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:19 pm

bujfan2030 wrote:I think part of that 6-6 can be attributed to the absense of Bargnani and the subsequent line-up changes. Calderon still has his issues primarily on defense. But really all the trade talk comes down to him being in the last year of his deal and so many teams needing point guard help. Raptors realistically need to get what they can for him.

I'm not sure what Toronto would gain by trading him unless they can package him with Bargnani. Toronto definitely shouldn't take on any additional long term salary and they need to tank hard again next year for a better draft when hopefully OKC does not own their pick. They should just use Jose to help them win enough games this year to get themselves picking in the middle of this year's draft so OKC can take their pick in the weaker draft. I think Jose will stick around for the whole year.

As a Lowry owner, I was ecstatic when the Calderon owner dropped him after Lowry came back the first time, immediately swooped in and grabbed him, now reaping the rewards of that short sighted move. :-D
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silentjim » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:06 pm

Toronto still playing great with Calderon at the helm and Lowry coming off the bench. Even if Calderon doesn't fill the stat sheet he seems to be managing the game well.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 735)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:27 am

silentjim wrote:Toronto still playing great with Calderon at the helm and Lowry coming off the bench. Even if Calderon doesn't fill the stat sheet he seems to be managing the game well.

I think that record has at least as much to do with subtracting Bargnani as it does adding Calderon as a starter. Calderon's ability (or lack thereof) to pilot the team to sustained success is well documented. At least with Bargnani out of the picture Jose's massive defensive shortcomings aren't further exaggerated.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)

Postby big.d57 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:31 am

weird game tonight by both Lowry and Calderon, a combined 0 points and 23 assist I think.
Courtesy of Blamer
big.d57
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Next

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers