Pick up Thaddeus Young? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions

Pick up Thaddeus Young?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Pick up Thaddeus Young?

Postby alexhopes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:40 am

I love this guy because he produces all across the board. I'm in a 12 man league and have a 10.5 game lead on second place in my division. I'm 6-2 right now for the weekly matchup and am facing 4th place next week. The guy who is 2nd in my division is 8-0 right now, and faces #1 over all next week. I have Andrew Bynum in my IR roster spot and have 100% owned players with everyone except Byron Mullens (89%), Nick Young (25%), and World Peace (70%). I don't know whether to drop Nick Young or World peace and take a hit with a T Young being out for the next 2 weeks, or drop Bynum and put T Young in my IR spot.

The most enticing thing about Young is his ability to get steals and his FG%. I have D12 on my team so I am not concerned about his low FT%. Dropping World Peace would help my FG% but I would lose 3's and Steals. Nick Young looks like he's going to be getting a ton of minutes going forward, and Bynum's future is COMPLETELY up in the air. If he plays, I'm set. If he doesn't I'm screwed for hanging on to him for the last 3 months....

My Waiver Wire priority is 5/12, so I could drop Nick Young, to get Bynum off my IR spot so I could drop him. Then add T Young, and hopefully use that waiver wire priority to get Nick Young back. But I don't know if I want to waste my Waiver Wire priority on Nick Young because I'm not sure how valuable he will be down the road...

Thoughts?

Obviously I have thought this through, over.... and over.... and over again... Looking for some outside help!
alexhopes
Towel Boy

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Pick up Thaddeus Young?

Postby Mephacles » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:00 am

I would say to drop Nick Young and pick up Thad.

Reasoning:

Nick Young is an extremely streaky player. He is strictly a 2-cat player (3s, PTS). In addition, his minutes went up b/c Thad has been injured. Once Thad returns, it is most likely that Nick Young's minutes will be reduced, which directly correlates to his production (or lack thereof). As you noted, Thad is a great 4-cat player (PTS, REBS, STLS, BLKS). Since you also have D12 (FT% category killer), Thad's horrendous FT% won't be anything different for your team.

Further, I would not drop Bynum. If you want to get rid of him, I would try to offer him up for a trade at the very least. Bynum has a good chance of playing this season, and there might be some people in your league that would love to have him.

Oh and using your waiver for Nick Young would be a teeeeeerrible move.
Mephacles
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby alexhopes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:45 am

Mephacles wrote:I would say to drop Nick Young and pick up Thad.

Reasoning:

Nick Young is an extremely streaky player. He is strictly a 2-cat player (3s, PTS). In addition, his minutes went up b/c Thad has been injured. Once Thad returns, it is most likely that Nick Young's minutes will be reduced, which directly correlates to his production (or lack thereof). As you noted, Thad is a great 4-cat player (PTS, REBS, STLS, BLKS). Since you also have D12 (FT% category killer), Thad's horrendous FT% won't be anything different for your team.

Further, I would not drop Bynum. If you want to get rid of him, I would try to offer him up for a trade at the very least. Bynum has a good chance of playing this season, and there might be some people in your league that would love to have him.

Oh and using your waiver for Nick Young would be a teeeeeerrible move.

Nick Young is picking up minutes because J Rich is out for the season. Lavoy Allen is playing in T Young's place.

You do bring up a good point, but I almost feel like dropping World Peace because of his terrible FG% and it seems he's on the decline. Granted, Gasol is out for the season, so he should be helping to pick up the slack. It just seems like he's throwing up more attempts but only making 30% of them. I just wish I knew more about Bynums return........
alexhopes
Towel Boy

Postby Mephacles » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:16 am

Ah yah J Rich, but regardless, N. Young is a streaky player that is only good for 3s and PTS. At least MWP gives you STLS and some BLKS though. As for Bynum... I'd trade to sell him as high as possible, especially b/c it's not a keeper league and, as you mentioned, Bynum's availability is up in the air.

Hope your decision helps you win though !!!
Mephacles
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions