seven keepers, eight options, tight budget - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions

seven keepers, eight options, tight budget

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

seven keepers, eight options, tight budget

Postby meiklwhite » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:01 am

Normally, I'm pretty sure about my keepers, but in this case, I really don't know what to do.
It is a 20-team H2H league with 9 standard cats plus OReb and 3% and with auction drafts with a budget of 250.

Rosters contain 12 players, 7 are keepers, one of which has to be a rookie or sophomore.

My options are:
M. Gasol $57
S. Curry $40
D. Lillard $36
E. Ilyasova $25
B. Lopez $22
T. Parker $20
D. Green $10
L. Sanders $10

Eight options for seven keeper spots, so I have to drop one of those.
In my opinion, Curry, Lopez, Parker and Sanders are locks because of cost effectiveness.
Lillard has to stay because he's the only rookie/sophomore and simply because he'll be awesome next year.
That leaves three options among which I really have a hard time deciding... Gasol is clearly the best player but he also leaves me with very little money to spend on the last five roster spots in next year's draft. Green is quietly putting together a top50 season at a very low cost in this format because of his 3% and synergizes very well with Curry's 3point-shooting practically meaning an automatic win in two cats every week. And Ilyasova is very versatile at a reasonable price as well...

Who would you keep?
meiklwhite
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 68)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: seven keepers, eight options, tight budget

Postby jphanned » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:53 pm

M. Gasol $57 $47
S. Curry $40 $73
D. Lillard $36 $24
E. Ilyasova $25 $37
B. Lopez $22 $46
T. Parker $20 $36
D. Green $10 $40
L. Sanders $10 $47

I've included the actual dollar values of each player above, next to his listed price.

Love Marc, but looks like he's the guy you should cut here. It's really down to him and Ilyasova for me, and Ilyasova has been HUGE since the Bucks let Skiles go.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby meiklwhite » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:22 pm

I was leaning in that direction as well at first.
However, the main reason for sacrificing Gasol would be to get additional budget for next years draft.
The question is, with 7x20=140 keepers, how much talent will be left to draft? I think not much, and there are other teams with way more budget than me.
So I'll have to settle for late-round-fliers anyway for my 5 remaining spots...

Wouldn't it be better to keep Gasol who is better than Ilyasova and also more of a safe bet (Ilyasovas first half of the season was REALLY bad after all)?
meiklwhite
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 68)

Postby jphanned » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Ilyasova's first half seems like the fluke in the sample to me. What we've seen from him as of late is more of what we should expect moving forward when he gets consistent PT. I get what you're saying with regards to keeping Marc, and I'd absolutely agree if the question involved keeping an overpriced Durant, Kyrie, or Westbrook, but Marc isn't good enough to justify a $10 overpay given your other options.

You do bring up a good point though. There will be inflation in the re-draft auction too since teams usually have extra money leftover, so it jacks up the prices of players by a few bucks at least. I'd still keep Ilyasova though. The current incarnation of Ilyasova, which I buy, isn't far off from Gasol in actual $ value. They're within $5, at worst. But there's a $32 difference in their listed price.

Going into the re-draft auction with extra money isn't a bad thing, even with a thinner player pool. I'd imagine you'd be among the teams with the most cap space if you let Marc go, which means you could dictate things and price enforce when necessary. I've done re-draft auctions in keepers before, and the player pool shouldn't be THAT thin. Also a shot you could buy Marc back at $60.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby silentjim » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:05 pm

Rounders Block wrote:Ilyasova's first half seems like the fluke in the sample to me. What we've seen from him as of late is more of what we should expect moving forward when he gets consistent PT. I get what you're saying with regards to keeping Marc, and I'd absolutely agree if the question involved keeping an overpriced Durant, Kyrie, or Westbrook, but Marc isn't good enough to justify a $10 overpay given your other options.

You do bring up a good point though. There will be inflation in the re-draft auction too since teams usually have extra money leftover, so it jacks up the prices of players by a few bucks at least. I'd still keep Ilyasova though. The current incarnation of Ilyasova, which I buy, isn't far off from Gasol in actual $ value. They're within $5, at worst. But there's a $32 difference in their listed price.

Going into the re-draft auction with extra money isn't a bad thing, even with a thinner player pool. I'd imagine you'd be among the teams with the most cap space if you let Marc go, which means you could dictate things and price enforce when necessary. I've done re-draft auctions in keepers before, and the player pool shouldn't be THAT thin. Also a shot you could buy Marc back at $60.

Yeah drop Marc Gasol and hope to get him back cheaper or make someone else with lots of cash overspend and overpay on some nice depth moving forward. ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions