2013-2014 1st Round - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

2013-2014 1st Round

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Re: 2013-2014 1st Round

Postby jay_00 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Im still not sold on either George, Batum, or LMA going in the first round, and I definitely wont be taking them ahead of Melo, Kobe, Love, Rose, or even Horford. George reminds me alot of Rudy Gay the year he put up 1st round value before he went down with his shoulder injury. We know he had Gasol and Zach to compete with on offense the following season, and now we know George has to compete with an improving Hibbert and a returning Granger on offense.

There hasn't been 1 month in which George has averaged 20 ppg, and theres only been 1 month where hes had at least 45 fg%. I like his supporting stats of course, but if im going to be getting a SG/SF in the first round, i would also like him to average a little more than 20 a game. I dont think George will be able to do that.

I see him putting up similar stats as this season, with the only bump to be nearly 20 ppg with around 44 fg%.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 74)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:02 am

Rounders Block wrote:Marc falls into the spot Pau has occupied for the last 5+ years. Solid and reliable late-first, early-second round pick. 5 is a bit high, even for my liking.

Maybe but Westbrook really fits that description since he stays healthy but never returns first round value but will always get pushed as a top 5 pick. Gasol does pretty much everything well apart from not scoring 25 PPG. I'm predicting he'll get more touches next year and get up to the 17 ppg area. From the limited opinions I've seen so far, I'm just surprised no one is pushing Gasol into the first round tier.

RedHopeful wrote:
Rounders Block wrote:One thing I'll struggle with: how big of an injury risk is Steph? He's made it through a full year without incident, but just 5-6 months ago I wanted very little to do with him because of his ankle. I'm still a bit uneasy going all in on him.

Yep, but the way I'm feeling right now, I don't expect him on any of my teams in redraft leagues. ;-7

Ditto, I owned him in his rookie year, then took him in the first round for the lockout season and completely burned for it. I love Steph Curry, I know he's top 5 without question when healthy, just don't see myself jumping back on the bandwagon just because he happened to be healthy this year. I'll take less upside early and work on making it up in rounds 3 and 4.

jay_00 wrote:Im still not sold on either George, Batum, or LMA going in the first round, and I definitely wont be taking them ahead of Melo, Kobe, Love, Rose, or even Horford.

I think Horford will end up in my first round also when it's October but why are you willing to take Kobe in the first round next year when you assumingly wouldn't do it last year? He hasn't gotten better as a basketball player, don't see why a one year spike suddenly pushes him back to the first round again, just feels like it's a case of disregarding a lengthy track record and only looking at last year's numbers.

Is there anything in Melo's stat line that suggests he's a lock to maintain his 2012-2013 production? He still has tons of turnovers and shoots poorly, not like he picked up his efficiency and put up the extra points per game on the same amount of shots. He could easily drop back to another 3rd-4th round type season to me.

If Paul George repeats this year with 20 PPG, sign me up in the first round. George is much safer than Rudy Gay to me because he makes so many 3's, superb rebounder, and Roy Hibbert is abysmal on offense.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby smitdawg » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Great discussion folks and looking forward to next year's draft already. Given the discussion on Steph and Love, and their respective injury histories (not that Love's is a "history"), who would you rather have in the 1st round as a keeper next year (9-cat roto), as a pairing with Harden?

Out of curiosity, why does Love not return back to the 3 or 4 spot or at worst the 5 spot next year as he was projected (and drafted in many cases) prior to this year and his resultant wrist injury? Assuming his wrist heals fully, should this not be considered an isolated injury event and he returns to his normal levels of production next year, in particular with a full summer to heal?
smitdawg
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:09 am

smitdawg wrote:Great discussion folks and looking forward to next year's draft already. Given the discussion on Steph and Love, and their respective injury histories (not that Love's is a "history"), who would you rather have in the 1st round as a keeper next year (9-cat roto), as a pairing with Harden?

Out of curiosity, why does Love not return back to the 3 or 4 spot or at worst the 5 spot next year as he was projected (and drafted in many cases) prior to this year and his resultant wrist injury? Assuming his wrist heals fully, should this not be considered an isolated injury event and he returns to his normal levels of production next year, in particular with a full summer to heal?

Being conservative with a April list, a good training camp would push Love right back to the top 5 for me, want to see how the wrist heals since it's especially important to a shooter like Love.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dutch » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:58 pm

This all sounds mighty interesting. I am considering a comeback next year..... :-D
Third place Octagon 07-08
Third place Battle of the Sports Forums 07-08
Winner of the Battle of the Sports Forums 06-07
Runner up Fantasykings vs Rotokingdom 06-07
Runner up of Battle of the Sports Forums 05-06
Dutch
College Captain
College Captain

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:47 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
smitdawg wrote:Great discussion folks and looking forward to next year's draft already. Given the discussion on Steph and Love, and their respective injury histories (not that Love's is a "history"), who would you rather have in the 1st round as a keeper next year (9-cat roto), as a pairing with Harden?

Being conservative with a April list, a good training camp would push Love right back to the top 5 for me, want to see how the wrist heals since it's especially important to a shooter like Love.

I'm think he's already top 5 for me. Freak accident that didn't heal well. Unless his wrist healed at an incorrect angle, I expect his shot to mostly be there.

Dutch, you're all talk... :-B
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 703)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Oh and GP, I'm a fan of MARC Gasol being mentioned as a first rounder. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 703)

Postby ggs » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:53 pm

^agreed but 5 is too high for him. I do think George is legit and makes a strong case for top 12. I'm not touching Rose in the first, which is fine as some poor soul will probably take him 3rd or 4th (in public leagues anyways). I think Kobe and Melo fall to the 2nd which is pretty ridiculous. Will be plenty of talent left even at the 2-3 turn. Guys like Sideshow Bob and Brow might be paired up with a Lebron / KD combo. Devastating if all stay healthy...
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 152)

Previous

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers