Amending the traditional H2H playoff system? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Amending the traditional H2H playoff system?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Re: Amending the traditional H2H playoff system?

Postby GRIN » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:11 pm

silentjim wrote:
Rounders Block wrote:
silentjim wrote:Just spurring conversation here, but would you guys not want to see playoffs in the real NBA? You'd just want the regular season to count for everything? That doesn't seem like much fun. Isn't fantasy basketball to some extent supposed to mirror or imitate real life basketball? The answer might be no.

You're not comparing a best-of-7 NBA series with a weekly fantasy NBA matchup are you? :-?

I'm more describing the mentality a playoff system creates. Its just a mental euphoria that I think most are accustomed too and would be hard to give up. Its a mental stigma they'd have to get over, which I don't think is easily overcome. Its the same reason why March Madness is just insane and people love it. Underdogs, and so forth. 6 seeds upsetting things, whatever.

I couldn't agree more. H2H playoffs = a lot of fun!
GRIN
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Markos » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:00 am

deadshot11 wrote:
geodbear wrote:Though this should be saved for BOSF discussion, I do like having the individual playoffs, just for fun, but I think we might want to consider maybe a two-week four team playoff, and extend the regular season, since that's how we evaluate the forums.

I like this idea of a four team playoff where each round is 2 weeks. Because the 3rd and 4th to last weeks of the season, you don't get as much resting/younger player dynamics. And then when it finally does happen in the last two weeks of the season, you should only have the championship match up in the fantasy league, which at least hopefully gets you the two best teams.

bump ;-D

Starting to gear up for the new season and saw this, thought I'd make a contribution.

We use a two week format for the last two rounds of our H2H playoffs, after a 1 week wildcard round where the top 4 teams get byes followed by a 1 week second round matchup. So our playoffs are 6 weeks long!!! It encourages teams 9th through 12th to stay active and try to play spoiler rather than tank. We also have a consolation playoff series for minor lottery bonuses for the 4 teams that lost in the wildcard round plus the other teams that didn't qualify.

We also decline to use the last week (ten days week?) of the season as there are too many teams resting star players and tanking etc. This means we kick off the playoffs very early, starting from round 18 a few days after the NBA trade deadline, just after the all-star game. This is about a month before anyone else. Our trade deadline is the last day of our regular season, with teams able to pick up free agents through till the end of the wildcard (1st) round.

Works pretty well, eliminates some of the dumb luck scenarios in regular H2H and the 17 round regular season means everyone faces each other once during the regular season (18 team league), but the downside is the season ends early unless you can get through to the final 4.

geodbear wrote:Or what about running regular H2H up til the end of the NBA regular season, and then taking the two top teams (BCS style) into a special round during the actual NBA playoffs. Maybe a snake redraft between the two managers at the beginning of the playoffs, and then and snaked signing of FA's in between rounds.

Just a random thought that popped into my head. At least that way, you'd get every real life player trying their hardest, and every NBA coach using predictable rotations.

I really like this idea, although it would be kinda strange in keeper or dynasty leagues to suddenly through everyone back in the pool and be drafting guys for your playoffs before returning to your team next season. Might work as a complimentary series after the playoffs to keep people active and engaged through the actual NBA playoffs
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby roygbiv » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Markos, Which platform to you play on that allows you this flexibility?
roygbiv
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Charles Oakley » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:15 pm

The best way to resolve the H2H playoff scenario is with two week matchups . I always felt the first week of the playoffs could be 1 week ( kinda like the old 5 game first round series in the NBA ) with the two best teams getting byes . Then the semis and the finals would be two weeks. Two weeks is enough time to allow the cream to rise to the top . It baffles me why ESPN , Yahoo and CBS don't give you that option . I agree scheduling and quitters don't make the non-playoff system perfect either .

This year in our redraft league (14 teams) we have two divisions of 7 and our Commish found a way to manipulate our schedule to play every team once and divisional opponents twice . Looking forward to this season .
Charles Oakley
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Response Team
(Past Year: 38)

Previous

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers