Selecting Keepers - Read if you have lots of time - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

Selecting Keepers - Read if you have lots of time

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Selecting Keepers - Read if you have lots of time

Postby Floor Burns » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the site, so I'll probably be way too detailed in this post, but I love the site so far.

I'm in an ESPN dynasty league with an 18 man roster. In a few months I'm going to have to pick 13 keepers. Unless you can tell me another reason to keep them (besides being injury prone) I have ten guys I have already tagged with a K in my mind:

Westbrook – PG
Teague – PG
Beal – SG
Kawhi Leonard – SG/SF
Batum – SG/SF
Tyreke Evans – PG/SG/SF
Hickson – PF/C
Ibaka – PF/C
Taj Gibson – PF/C
Blatche – PF/C

This gives me a rotation of:

PG: 3
SG: 4
SF: 3
PF: 4
C: 4

These are the guys I'm sorting out for the final 3 spots. I’m going to post all the info I have on the guys so you so you don't have to search for it as you can help me sort out the best of the rest and give me your reasons. Let me know if you read any of the research I provided.

Meyers Leonard – C
Kyle O'Quinn – PF
Will Bynum – PG
Martell Webster – SF
Garrett Temple – SG
Kendrick Perkins – C
Trevor Booker – PF
Jannero Pargo – PG

Here’s what I have on all the guys.

Meyers Leonard – C

Leonard is a young guy with potential. He is very raw on defense and right now he's on the bench behind Hickson and Aldridge, but he's getting over 2 million to be there. Portland was shopping Hickson and he'll be an unrestricted free agent. It sounds like Leonard could at center start and have a decent sophomore season if things fall my way this summer. Roto says this about him:

"Despite a disappointing rookie year, Leonard has looked solid when given the chance to start, averaging 13.3 points, 5.8 rebounds and 0.8 blocks over six starts this season...Leonard's brief run gives us hope for next season."

"Leonard had a career night Saturday, scoring 22 points and grabbing 10 rebounds...the rookie logged 41 minutes and played the best game of his career."

"Leonard put himself in preferred positions in the block that resulted in easy buckets, while similarly finding open teammates for his two dimes on the night. While he has a long way to go in terms of general defensive positioning -- and that's putting it kindly -- he'll more than likely knock down more than 50 percent of his shots on a nightly basis. Owners in very deep leagues are benefiting at the moment, and those in dynasty formats must salivate at the potential the 21-year-old center showcases offensively more often than not."

Kyle O'Quinn – PF

This is another young guy with some pretty serious potential at age 23, but he is sitting behind Vucevic and Harris. They are great young guys who are playing well and the situation looks like it won't change any time soon. This is what Roto says about him:

“O'Quinn had a career-high 23 points (11-14 FG, 1-2 FT) to go along with 11 rebounds and six assists in 42 minutes Wednesday night against the Bobcats.”

That is an insane shooting percentage. He attacks the glass and is a great passer. He is just stuck. He just needs to start. The kid shoots over 50%.

Will Bynum – PG

Bynum is jammed behind Knight (who is too inconsistent for my taste) and battles for playing time with Stuckey. But when he gets the chance to start, he tends to go off and his value jumps. He will be an unrestricted free agent after this season.

“Bynum had 18 points, six assists and five rebounds in Monday's loss to the Nets.”

“Bynum scored 23 points (10-of-14 FG, 3-of-3 FT) in a loss to Portland.”

“Bynum had 16 points, two rebounds, four assists, and three steals in 28 minutes Wednesday against the Warriors.”

Martell Webster – SF

Webster is in a pillow fight with Ariza for minutes in D.C., but he is at least getting minutes and started a majority of the games. He had a productive March and can go off from time to time. Beal and Wall are the future of with Wiz, but Martell is playing more than he ever has and his points, rebounds, and assists are all up. He too will be an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Garrett Temple – SG

While were are in the capital, let’s take a look at Mr. Temple. I picked him up when Beal started battling injuries and handcuffed the two of them together. He pleasantly surprised me by scoring in double digits 6 out of ten times. Wall can make anyone look good. He too will be an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Kendrick Perkins – C

Perkins is 28 and isn’t as flashy as Westbrook, Durant, or Ibaka. But he is a consistent role player who gets 20 + minutes. I know what I’m getting with him, even if it isn’t much. He still has a few years on his contract.

Trevor Booker – PF

Booker really let me down this year. The 25 year old battled injuries and never got into the rhythm he seemed to have last season. He has a “great motor” and competes every time he’s on the court but it just isn’t for very long. He can go off sometimes, but I’m wondering what I should do with him. He will be behind an injury prone 30 year old Nene. He could break out for all I know. Roto sums it up well by saying, “Booker has been on the radar in very deep leagues but we've seen enough that owners can safely leave him on the wire in most formats.”

Jannero Pargo – PG

I had a spot on my roster that I liked to gamble with players and I gambled on Pargo. He got a 10 day contract and I figured he might play to keep it and he did well. He did well enough to get another 10 day contract and eventually sign with the team for what is left of the season. He will probably fade into obscurity as the Bobcats suck and will probably draft someone with too my hype and stay at the bottom of the league.

If you made it to the bottom of this post…you are my hero.
Floor Burns
Towel Boy

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Selecting Keepers - Read if you have lots of time

Postby TekOPP » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:23 am

First things, Yes you were way too detailed.

I know it's a lot to keep track of in your head but I suggest for future posts that you try to make an effort to be more concise.

Your audience doesn't need a description of every player, we're a pretty exp bunch.
If you wanted to, you could provide details some simple stats that would work just as effectively in less space.

Secondly, we need to know what type of league it is...
H2H or Roto ?
Which Cats ?

Even without that knowledge I would recommend based on 9cats:

M. Webster
Will Bynum
Perkins or Leonard
TekOPP
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 27)

Re: Selecting Keepers - Read if you have lots of time

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:54 am

If you post the league details I'll have something useful to say. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Return to Roster Ratings