Planning my 6 keepers for next season - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions

Planning my 6 keepers for next season

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Planning my 6 keepers for next season

Postby sn267537 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:52 pm

I know it's early to ask about who I should keep, however, would like to have an idea planned out now then have this to look back too next season.

12 teams
Roto
Standard yahoo roster, settings, and categories(5x5)

Keeper rules: 6 keepers

1) players are kept based on round drafted
2) if because of trade there are two keepers in the same round, the player traded for will be kept in the next available round(open spot) after the player of same round drafted by the team.
3) free agent keepers will start at round 10. And fill so on as needed (round 11+) if round 10 is already taken by drafted or traded for player

PG: Kyle Lowry (round 5)
SG: Klay Thompson (round 7)*
G: Goran Dragic (round 3)*
SF: Lebron James (round 1)*
PF: Rudy gay (round 2)
F: Evan turner (round 8 (trade))*
C: joakim Noah (round 4)*
C: pau gasol (round 2 (trade))
Utl: Andre Iguodala (round 4 (trade))*
Utl: isaiah Thomas (round 9)

BN: Jeff green (round 10 (FA))

Keeper 1: Lebron James (round 1)
Keeper 2: Goran dragic (round 3)
Keeper 3: joakim Noah (round 4)
Keeper 4: Andre Iguodala (round 5)
Keeper 5: Klay thompson (round 7)
Keeper 6: Evan turner (round 8)

My reasoning behind the keepers is based on the round I drafted them, and I think next season they'll be a more expensive round (turner, noah, Thompson, Iguodala). Also keeping james and dragic for their solidness based on round kept and ADP.

1) I would have really liked to keep Rudy gay, but I think there is a chance I can draft him again in the second round. However, if there is a C available Should I draft a C instead (of course depends on the C, but logically position wise, based on my keepers and what I'll need, Center > gay?)

2) I would have also really like to keep Isaiah Thomas round 9, so I think it's between him and Evan turner if I were to fit thomas in as a keeper, should I just go by ADP rankings for next season? I view Evan turner as a potential cheaper version of Iguodala or gay (stat stuffer).

3) Jeff green I like, but not keeping because I think I should be able to draft him next season. Even though I could keep him round 10.

4) So posting this to see of there is agreement with the keepers I'm planning on and my reasoning. Or if I should plan to keep someone else? I know it's early, but want to think about it now then compare next season.
sn267537
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Planning my 6 keepers for next season

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Lebron
Dragic
Klay
Noah
Green
Gay

W/o a doubt, I'm not keeping Iggy and Turner. Thomas scares me because SAC is such a volatile situation. I'd be tempted to substitute in Pau Gasol for Gay if it looks like Kobe is going to miss a ton of games next season.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 663)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby sn267537 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:17 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Lebron
Dragic
Klay
Noah
Green
Gay

W/o a doubt, I'm not keeping Iggy and Turner. Thomas scares me because SAC is such a volatile situation. I'd be tempted to substitute in Pau Gasol for Gay if it looks like Kobe is going to miss a ton of games next season.

Someone else on another forum said he wouldnt keep Iggy either. May I ask why? I think he is a stat stuffer. sure he hurts percentages and TO, but every other category is covered with him.

J. Green: the same person as mentioned above said I should watch and see if Green will be a starter next season, and if he is i should seriously consider keeping him. Serious producer for 10th round value

I understand the I. Thomas situation. he was frustrating this season, but glad I never dropped him becuase he sort of came through second half for the most part.

Turner I was wanting to keep because of his 8th round value. I predict his ADP will be higher than 8th round for this season.

I would like to keep Gay. However, I think it would be smarter if I were to draft a C 2nd round if i could. I will have the 11th pick out of 12 for the first round, so i will in turn get to have the 14th pick. I am sure that the guy with the 12th and 13th pick will keep KD as his 12th pick. conley was his second round pick, so idk if he will keep him. but i could possibly get to draft Gay again. thats why i am passing on keeping him, or if i could potentially draft a C. All season i only had noah as my solid C. would like to have 2 this season, especially, with noahs inj concerns.

lebron, dragic, noah and klay i will keep. green, gay, turner, iggy, now pau, and maybe IT i am on the fence about as my last two keepers.

thank you for your reply, i hope to get a follow up from you. if not its ok. i appreciate the input, i need mult views. and please no i am not trying to challenge or disprove your points/suggestions. just trying to discuss the options and provide my opinion and see what you think about it. thanks
sn267537
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Iggy - For a 4th rounder, I'd expect a player to offer good potential on this perceived value. You call him a stat stuffer, but I see a guy trending the wrong way (age, confidence, shot), who in his first season in DEN, amid plenty of injury, was the 85th best player in 9 category leagues. :-P

Turner - why do you expect Evan to have a turnaround? Hate to say it, but he's got enough games under his belt that largely what you see now is what you're going to get. Moreover, he isn't going to be playing for a coach whose strategy suited him as well as Collins did. Smallball where he was allowed to run the offense as much as he did? A crappy roster that deeply relied on his rebounding? Likely a thing of the past.

Green - completely agree a lot hinges on where he ends up on the depth chart. However, if you can't wait, you've got to gamble and I find him much more enviable than Iggy/Turner. Pro's - BOS has committed a large sum of cash his way, he brokeout in the 2nd half, Garnett/Pierce a year older (will they even be there?), Doc giving him a ton of offensive freedom.

Thomas - ultimate gamble and in your case, you DON'T need to take the risk on him. If you're a fan, you'll be able to draft him again.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 663)

Postby sn267537 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:13 am

Well I call iffy a stat stuffer because he manages all cats. He can make a 3, get steals. Pitch in blocks. He averaged well in PTS, REB, and assists all season esspecially during the playoff times for h2h. Started slow finished strong.... That's why I liked him and I can keep him in the 5th round. I really feel that he helped carry my team last half of the season. Especially in assists and steals. Then 3Pt.

I see ur option on turner, his situation. His stats did die off, but he did contribute to my ending success.

Green I am a huge fan and am glad to be told to look to keep him. Hopefully he is a starter next year.

IT I am a fan, he went to the college I am attending.

So I think I'm between iggy, gay, and pau as a final keeper. I was wanting to keep my 2nd round pick open especially since I'd be the 14th pick. But I am a gay fan and was happy he was traded. But his FG% was painful and I think a C will suit my roster better. I don't want to go through relying on guys like turner, Lowry, gay, green, Thompson, and such to get me rebounds even though I scored 7 points. Could do better. And I think 5th round is pretty decent for iggy. Or he I could try to keep him for a center.

I think ADP and who isnt kept will decide my 6th keeper. Thank u so much for ur conversation
sn267537
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:35 am

RedHopeful wrote:Lebron
Dragic
Klay
Noah
Green
Gay

I'm on board with this list, with the possible exception of Green. Green does have some future in Boston with guys retiring and having played well over the stretch, but I'd still probably keep Iggy or Thomas over him, and that's after putting up with meh seasons from both those guys on various teams this year. Iggy was iffy this year, but he bcame on strong late and I have some faith that he's got his shizz in Denver figured out, at leats to the point where I'm not even thinking about a a guy like Green instead, not when the discount isn't more than six rounds.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions