Where will players be drafted? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Where will players be drafted?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Where will players be drafted?

Postby silentjim » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:21 am

Just browsing through some things and thought I'd toss some guys out there and hear some opinions.

Deron Williams has been top 10 over the last month+ of the season and was able to turn down an ankle injection because he was feeling better. Typically a guy close to being a first rounder, but never quite making that push. Anyone think next season will be his first?

Duncan had some of the best stats in his life, but played 30 minutes and sat critical games. Where's the happy medium?

Varejao clearly an injury risk because of his style of play, but how far does he fall to make it worthwhile? Joakim Noah similarly. Plantar fascia sucks. Anthony Davis too?

Tobias Harris? Big sleeper, but some efficiency issues down the stretch.

There's quite a few others, but I'll start there. Feel free to toss out more. ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 727)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Where will players be drafted?

Postby silentjim » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Kobe makes for an interesting discussion as well.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 727)

Postby geodbear » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:16 pm

silentjim wrote:Kobe makes for an interesting discussion as well.

Depends on what the reports on his recovery are at the time of your draft. Right now, it's at least 6-9 months so missing most of next season is a possibility. At least, he'll be taking his time recuperating from all his injuries. I'd probably avoid him, and think he'll be a late round pick up by someone like Derrick Rose was for this season's draft.

Harris is a good question. Probably a fringe 5th or 6th keeper in 12-team leagues, which places him in mid-round value. Where he gets drafted will depend a lot on what Orlando does in the off season. Right now, they are not a good team, and the values of some of their players like Harris, Harkless, and Vucevic are all skewed up over the last of couple months because of that.

Deron Williams I've never felt good about drafting 1st round. I don't think this is the first time he's finished a finish a season strong and he hasn't shown yet to be consistent 1st rounder, but someone will look at him in the first round, and I'd probably feel better taking him as an early second.

My question is whether Carmelo Anthony has proven that he should be a first rounder. He's come close before, but I may still slot him as an early second.

Varejao and a whole bunch of bigs will be interesting to see how they rank. From injuries to down years to potential breakouts, there are a lot of big men to evaluate and decide on where you want to draft.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 262)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:22 pm

geodbear wrote:My question is whether Carmelo Anthony has proven that he should be a first rounder. He's come close before, but I may still slot him as an early second.

This could just be the bitterness of all my stars taking a seat during fantasy playoffs but I'm definitely warming up to Melo at the end of the 1st round. He should be a safe bet to put up top 20 numbers at worse and the Knicks will need him to play all year long as in he'll push 82 games unless he actually gets hurt.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yilun » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:31 pm

I am a bit bias towards Carmelo as well, considering he single handily won my the finals week in one of my keeper H2H leagues. 167 points and 14 treys scored in the final week on 60% FG is simply amazing LOL.

I would think that he gets a bump this coming season just purely based off his performance down the stretch this year. I won't be surprised if he gets picked in late 1st round right at the turn or with the 1st pick of the 2nd round in most drafts next year.

Kobe will be avoided for the most part... but Kobe is such a recognizable name/figure that despite his absence, I won't be surprised if people still reach for him very high in the draft to stash him. This is inevitably just going to be the nature of having a reputation like Kobe does ;-)

I think Tobias Harris is going to be very interesting. His last 1.5 months of play in Orlando has me looking at his stats and thinking he's a Kevin Love prototype with block capability. That is a very, very unique skill-set provided he can continue getting the minutes. He's able to score, rebound, and block with 3 point range as well. Thinking of that just has me salivating at the moment. But I also take his high PT down the stretch with a heavy grain of salt considering the Magic were mostly without Afflalo, Big Baby and Nelson. I'm sure that by next season's draft, most people may have forgotten about him and that he would be a great mid-to-late round flyer to take a gamble on.
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers