Keep 3 - trying to pick last keeper: between dwade and dwill - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions

Keep 3 - trying to pick last keeper: between dwade and dwill

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Keep 3 - trying to pick last keeper: between dwade and dwill

Postby FCBtim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:05 am

sup yall

im in a keep 3 H2H keeper league with 9 cats (FG%, FT%, 3PM, PTS, REB, AST, STL, BLK, TO).

my first two unquestionable keepers are lebron james and stephen curry. im now trying to decide between dwyane wade and deron williams. what does everyone think? this is really tough for me, as i think both are borderline elite options, or at least, as a 3rd keeper, pretty damn good.

i like wade's defensive contributions but he has been on the decline for a while now... his FT% can eff me, and he just doesnt seem the same anymore with bron in miami. with that said, i like wade cus he'd be a bit of a legacy player and im interested in seeing how dominant miami can continue to be. i also like how wade can threaten for a triple double on any given night simply because he's playing with bron and bosh. with that said... 2 keepers from miami gives me a bit of a meh feeling. both him and bron sit out quite a bit for the latter half of the season and my league is officially introducing H2H playoffs starting next yr so thats a bit of a consideration.

dwill i like cus he shoots a good FT% and contributes in both 3's and ASTs. his start to the year gave me a serious scare as i had traded for him earlier on. i also know he's got a bit of an injury bug with his ankles and wrist or something lol. he chucks quite a bit and can dismantle my FG% on any given night, but i get this feeling that dwill means a lot to brooklyn... more so than wade to miami. only thing with brooklyn is that they play ISO WAYYYY too much so it can make dwill's AST stats a tad bit unpredictable some times. he closed out the season in fine form so im more leaning towards deron williams.

what do you think guys? i know either option is great and im picking from riches here and i really shouldnt be complaining... but its just such a tough decision.

THANKS ALL IN ADVANCE!
FCBtim
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Keep 3 - trying to pick last keeper: between dwade and d

Postby silentjim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:07 pm

I think I'd take Deron Williams. I like his fit a little better with Lebron and Curry and Wade's health is a huge concern obviously. I think Miami might start doing the Spurs thing where guys are just rested off and on down the line. Per game Wade put up better numbers, but not phenomenally better, and Williams put up better cumulative numbers. I don't think you can go wrong though.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby sn267537 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:46 pm

youre right by saying either as a 3rd keeper is an ideal situation

i am speaking based on stat lines here. i think dwill will definetly solidify your assits, 3pt, and add some steals. with 3 solid players to provide these stats, i think you can go into the draft targeting your REB and Blk guys.

dwill has inj questions i know, however, id take his inj questions over wades. who knows, maybe you could draft wade again anyways

after thought: who else do you have on your roster?
sn267537
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jphanned » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Wade easily -- he's still a top-7, top-8 player. Never been a big Deron Williams fan. Consistently overrated due to brand name and has never delivered first-round impact. Don't expect him to start now at this point of his career.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby silentjim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Rounders Block wrote:Wade easily -- he's still a top-7, top-8 player. Never been a big Deron Williams fan. Consistently overrated due to brand name and has never delivered first-round impact. Don't expect him to start now at this point of his career.

I'm not a fan of Williams really either, but I personally think the injury concern with Wade scares me off in a keeper league. He's two years older, plays like someone who's five years older than he really is, and is a different type of player with Lebron clearly being the number one there. If he plays well in the playoffs and shows some health improvement in the off season with his legs I could be convinced otherwise, but considering so much of his value in the 2011-2012 season was a much better FT%, its hard to think he's going to increase his threes or blocks again to push his value back to first round at this point.

It's hard since Williams hasn't been healthy either, but my gut says Wade's best seasons are behind him. I think he can get the FT% back up a bit, but the FG% might come down too. Wade's floor is probably higher, but his injury concern keeps nagging at me for some reason. Though I admit I don't have the numbers to support my thoughts.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby FCBtim » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:05 am

thanks for the input guys. really appreciate it.

@sn267537, since we are re-drafting next yr, the only guys on my roster would be bron, curry and whomever i choose. an interesting dilemma for me is that, well, for next season… let's just say I'm gonna have a bit of a rough time trying to draft because i only have 2 picks in the top 5 rounds… yeeesh (sacrificed for the championship). with quite a few bigs being kept by the other 11 teams in the league… i may not have a chance at getting block and rebound guys.

this means it is IMPERATIVE for me to build on my strengths. building around lebron is easy enough. curry adds the 3's and STLs and occasional AST upside so the natural inclination would be towards DWILL.

the interesting thing is that gauging opinions from my friends and on forums, it seems like preference is roughly split exactly in the middle with some favouring williams and some favouring wade.

i will revisit this thread some time down the road when we get more info on both guys' playoff performances as well as their recovery from their minor, but obviously impactful injuries.

thanks again all!
FCBtim
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 2)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:34 pm

silentjim wrote:
Rounders Block wrote:Wade easily -- he's still a top-7, top-8 player. Never been a big Deron Williams fan. Consistently overrated due to brand name and has never delivered first-round impact. Don't expect him to start now at this point of his career.

I'm not a fan of Williams really either, but I personally think the injury concern with Wade scares me off in a keeper league. He's two years older, plays like someone who's five years older than he really is, and is a different type of player with Lebron clearly being the number one there. If he plays well in the playoffs and shows some health improvement in the off season with his legs I could be convinced otherwise, but considering so much of his value in the 2011-2012 season was a much better FT%, its hard to think he's going to increase his threes or blocks again to push his value back to first round at this point.

It's hard since Williams hasn't been healthy either, but my gut says Wade's best seasons are behind him. I think he can get the FT% back up a bit, but the FG% might come down too. Wade's floor is probably higher, but his injury concern keeps nagging at me for some reason. Though I admit I don't have the numbers to support my thoughts.

+1

I'm with Jim. Had this been roto, Wade would have been the choice. However, each year, I'm reminded a little more and more how important it is to have performing guys come playoff time. Even though it's likely Williams will have less overall value, it's more valuable to have the guy who won't be missing random and very important games.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:44 am

Hmm. Even with those games in tow I'd still probably take Wade. Williams just doesn't have the overall line or track record to make me want to keep him over Wade, especially not when the keeper team in question has two studs already. Williams is no super stud, and he's missed enough time that I can't wager on his durability over the better stats from Wade.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions