Sports and Smarts - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Sports and Smarts

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Sports and Smarts

Postby silentjim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Had a conversation the other day with RedHopeful and The Thrill that started the conversation about Basketball IQ and so forth and some having to do with baseball woes and yips and such (Zimmerman having throwing problems, Hamilton forgot how many outs there were and got doubled off, etc).

Then I just posted about the wonderlic test and football. And I guess after all of this, I want to know what people think mentally are the hardest sports to play and why?

I think there's a lot having to do with position and such, with maybe QB being the overall most difficult position to play or something along those lines.

For some reason I felt initially that Basketball because of a quicker pace and "natural flow" seemed to mean you could have decent smarts and excel at it. Baseball for me seemed to be a thinking man's game where every scenario whether batting, pitching, or fielding seems to be some sort of chess match or scenarios unfolding. I do have more basketball knowledge though too, though I'm no baseball or football moron.

There's probably a lot based on level too. Pick-up basketball games vs professional could be totally different too.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Sports and Smarts

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:27 pm

silentjim wrote:There's probably a lot based on level too. Pick-up basketball games vs professional could be totally different too.

;-7 :-°

I'm in the boat that smarts are more important (and useful) in basketball than baseball. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Re: Sports and Smarts

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:50 am

RedHopeful wrote:
silentjim wrote:There's probably a lot based on level too. Pick-up basketball games vs professional could be totally different too.

;-7 :-°

I'm in the boat that smarts are more important (and useful) in basketball than baseball. ;-D

Factually correct. Baseball is a game of individual occurances while basketball is a more free-flowing team-oriented game. It's way easier in baseball to hide an idiot savant than it is in basketaball. If that weren't true Jason Kapono would be an allstar and Adam Dunn would be playing in Nigeria.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers