2013 NBA Draft - Fantasy Fallout - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

2013 NBA Draft - Fantasy Fallout

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

2013 NBA Draft - Fantasy Fallout

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:08 pm

Slow times in the cafe, so I thought we could talk rookies. ;-D

Obviously this all very theoretical since the actual draft hasn't taken place yet, but let's not let that get in our way. I'll just toss some names out (not in order of preference).

1. Nerlens Noel. He's out until Christmas so he's really only draftable in Dynasty formats. Long term he could be really good, but I'm not going anywhere near him in redraft formats, and probably later than most in keeper formats other than dynasty. I actually like the fantasy prospects of Otto Porter a bit more if he ends up going number one to Cleveland.

2. Anthony Bennett. I think he might be draft worthy in mixed leagues if the Bobcats grab him at 4. There's a lot of playing time available in the 'Cats front court, and Bennett has a nice rounded skill set. He's a bench pick for redraft leagues (probably last pick or two in standard leagues) but could show solid returns there.

3. Victor Oladipo. I think he could be a solid ROY candidate if he goes to Charlotte or Phoenix (and to a lesser extent Orlando). I like the threes/Stl/Reb potential on the wings there a lot. Oladipo is a pretty polished player, plus he plays D, so he shouldn't have too much trouble gobbling up court time on a team with needs on the wing. I think he ends up starting at some point if he goes to the 'Cats or Suns.

4. Whichever decent wing player Atlanta drafts at 17/18. If I like the guy they draft I'd be tempted to take a late flyer on him since Atlanta needs something outside of Louis Williams on the wing and Korver may or may not get resigned. A lot obviously depends on what Atlanta does in free agency of course, but if they draft a nice wing and don't fill in front with a name brand starter I think I'm interested. Jamaal Franklin or Caldwell-Pope could both look decent there.

That's not an exhaustive list of who I like, but it should get us started.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2013 NBA Draft - Fantasy Fallout

Postby vik90 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:41 am

Obviously where the team and situation the rookie is drafted to plays pivotal role, but still fun to discuss:

The rookie with the most fantasy value this season will be Trey Burke. I could very easily see a team in the top-10 giving him the keys to their offense from day 1. He possesses a great blend of scoring and passing which I think will translate nicely (the passing more so than the scoring). He has range and can dish the rock, and that's a nice recipe for a fantasy point guard.

My other favorite guard is CJ McCollum. He's a proven shooter, and his offensive skill-set will get minutes at both the 1 and the 2 (albeit undersized for the 2, he can drain). I really hope a team drafts him and develops him as a point guard; his NBA comparison fits somewhere between Steph Curry and Damian Lillard.
vik90
Towel Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby silentjim » Fri May 31, 2013 3:20 pm

I'm intrigued, but also scared by Oladipo. Raw talent with lots of upside, but defensive minded guys sometimes struggle to learn offense. I'll be curious where he ends up for sure.

On an IU note, I'm also curious about Zeller and where he goes. He's small for a big guy in the NBA, but with where things are going I could see his quickness being a good thing in the NBA.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:02 pm

Yeah, especially if he goes somewhere with real minutes off the bench available. Which is true of the three teams picking the range I expect him to go, so good for his fantasy prospects I guess. I can see him clawing back some value in workouts though, so I we'll see on that front.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned Porter here. I think he is a real ROY candidate especially if he gets snagged by Washington. Also wondering if Hardwaway Jr. is this year's Marshon Brooks insofar as a player that will get drafted in the 20's and who can make an impact on the score sheet from day 1.
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 158)

Postby silentjim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:23 pm

Phil O'Pastry wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned Porter here. I think he is a real ROY candidate especially if he gets snagged by Washington. Also wondering if Hardwaway Jr. is this year's Marshon Brooks insofar as a player that will get drafted in the 20's and who can make an impact on the score sheet from day 1.

Good calls, though Brooks was all but gone this season. I think as most realize, player value is going to be hugely based on what team drafts them and what situation they find themselves in. I don't think there's necessarily a players in this draft who no matter positional need you draft and know will dominant, though I admit I don't follow college ball as much as a lot of people.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spud_webb_04 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 pm

Do any of you guys think Shabazz will be a fantasy contributor outside of scoring cats ? He was highly praised out of highschool but disappointed at ucla.
Noel could be nice for rebounds and blocks but i dont see him do anything more in the first season, I think porter will one of the better prospects of the draft
spud_webb_04
College Captain
College Captain

Response Team
(Past Year: 142)

Postby silentjim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:57 pm

spud_webb_04 wrote:Do any of you guys think Shabazz will be a fantasy contributor outside of scoring cats ? He was highly praised out of highschool but disappointed at ucla.
Noel could be nice for rebounds and blocks but i dont see him do anything more in the first season, I think porter will one of the better prospects of the draft

Articles/reviews on Shabazz seem mixed. Some like him as a scorer others mention his lack of athleticism, defense, and going right. He seems to have slid quite a bit after just one season in college, which can't bode well. That being said, he's young and could learn, but there's also some sentiment that his Tourette's syndrome might hinder him a bit, but who knows.

Anyone watch enough Gonzaga to speak on Kelly Olynyk? From the little I saw from him I kind of liked the skills he brought.
silentjim

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:53 pm

silentjim wrote:Anyone watch enough Gonzaga to speak on Kelly Olynyk? From the little I saw from him I kind of liked the skills he brought.

The kid certainly has skills, that's for sure. Great handle for a big and solid fundamentals in general on the offensive end, plus he's a dab hand passing the ball. What worried me is his mediocre rebounding, even at the NCAA level, and an almost complete lack of upside on the defensive end. The rebounding numbers don't look quite as bad as I'm making out, but I think it's unlikely that he maintains his OReb numbers in the pros given his lack of lift and inability to coral a lot of rebounds outside his zone. Those things are real roadblocks to starting at the NBA level IMO, and I think his upside right now is more in the way of career back-up than career starter. That said, there's nothing wrong with his work ethic or motor, so he's got a chance to prove me wrong (kinda like Roy Hibbert). Not that Olynyk will ever be a defensive beast like Roy, but bigs who can actually play in the post and pass out of the post aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

For fantasy, I'd like Olynyk's chances more if he went at 16 to the Celts, or 19 to the Cavs, and a little less if he goes to the Hawks, although that depends on what they end up doing with Josh Smith. The only other fantasy bright spot I see if he somehow drops all the way to 22 and goes to the Nets. I think he'll have trouble getting minutes on any of the other teams in that 15-25 area of the draft.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby spud_webb_04 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:46 pm

I guy i like alot too is Adams, he is raw but has a huge body and has a better shot than advertised.
He sets solid screens and is a very hard worker. I think in a year or three he can be a very good player
spud_webb_04
College Captain
College Captain

Response Team
(Past Year: 142)

Next

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers