2013 NBA Draft - Fantasy Fallout - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

2013 NBA Draft - Fantasy Fallout

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Re: 2013 NBA Draft - Fantasy Fallout

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:55 pm

bujfan2030 wrote:I'm starting to hate summer league. Schreoder and Olnyk much tougher gets in dynasty leagues now

You should have trusted the force and traded for Schroeder before summer league. :-b
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bujfan2030 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:07 am

I'm thinking Otto Porter might be a bit over-rated for Dynasty at least with respect to where he's likely drafted. I might be wrong but his upside to me seems to be a Kirilenko type player, which can be valuable, but for a top 3 pick seems like you'd want higher upside there.
I know some people like him as a Kawhi Leonard type, but Kawhi seems a little more athletic to me.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 96)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:48 am

bujfan2030 wrote:I'm thinking Otto Porter might be a bit over-rated for Dynasty at least with respect to where he's likely drafted. I might be wrong but his upside to me seems to be a Kirilenko type player, which can be valuable, but for a top 3 pick seems like you'd want higher upside there.
I know some people like him as a Kawhi Leonard type, but Kawhi seems a little more athletic to me.

I'm with you, I don't think his fantasy upside is huge. I seriously doubt he goes top three in a lot of fantasy drafts though. I think he's more like a 5-10 type guy, and given his likely playing time that's probably about right.

Just to generate some discussion, here's the in progress rookie draft from the salary cap league hosted here on the cafe:

1. Victor Oladipo
2. Ben McLemore
3. Trey Burke
4. Nerlens Noel
5. Kelly Olynyk
6. Anthony Bennett
7. Otto Porter
8. Michael Carter-Williams
9. CJ McCollum
10 . Dennis Schroder
11. Cody Zeller
12. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
13. Alex Len
14. Steven Adams

Just to highlight the Porter issue, he got selected here over MCW, which I can't see myself doing no matter what my dynasty team looked like positionally. (no offense So-Tex, I'm sure you have rationale there :-b ). In other news I like Zeller and KCP a lot in the later stages there - both guys should produce almost immediately and be of at least some help fantasy-wise. I think Olynyk is going to be a divisive player come dynasty draft day too. He's obviously in line for some playing time, but I'm still not quite sure I like him that high as a dynasty pick. The trick is that other than MCW the rest of the first round is mostly long shots and short minute type guys.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jphanned » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:49 am

Who drafted McLemore at 2? Joe Dumars? :-o
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:03 am

jphanned wrote:Who drafted McLemore at 2? Joe Dumars? :-o

Close. It was silentjim. :-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bujfan2030 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:35 am

It appears, at least somewhat hopefully to me, summer league wasn't a huge impact on people's thinking.
Personally I thought dynasty drafts this year might go

Bennett
Oladipo
Olynyk
Noel
Burke
McCollum
Schreoder
It really feels like a Bizarro Draft year, In so far as playing time/upside impact people's decisions. Bennett falling to six surprises me a bit.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 96)

Postby jphanned » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:43 am

bujfan2030 wrote:It really feels like a Bizarro Draft year, In so far as playing time/upside impact people's decisions. Bennett falling to six surprises me a bit.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Prototypical tweener talent that teams just can't figure out how to use. I have very little faith in his pro prospects, a la Derrick Williams.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:58 am

jphanned wrote:
bujfan2030 wrote:It really feels like a Bizarro Draft year, In so far as playing time/upside impact people's decisions. Bennett falling to six surprises me a bit.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Prototypical tweener talent that teams just can't figure out how to use. I have very little faith in his pro prospects, a la Derrick Williams.

I agree. I really don't see massive fantasy upside there, and I continue to question the Cavs overall draft strategy. Meh.

@bujafan - how do you not have MCW on that list? He's walking into a starting gig with no competition at all. That sounds like better fantasy business than maybe half the guys on your list. I'm not really taking long-term prospects into account mind you, but none of the guys listed are so good in that regard that it makes much difference to me. Mostly this year's rookie crop seems like one where you grab the best immediate fantasy value and don't worry too much beyond that.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hi chi » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Bennett is a tough guy to pick. The Cavs are very deep at the 4 and I don't see Bennett being quick enough to guard 3s. I watched some of his games leading up to March Madness and he doesn't go up strong. He fades away in the paint instead of going to basket (maybe his shoulder was already bothering him?). He may have got away with that in high school and against less physical players in college, but he won't be able to do that in the NBA. In my opinion his skill set and the Cavs depth move him down the rookie ladder a fair bit.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)

Postby geodbear » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:31 pm

hi chi wrote:Bennett is a tough guy to pick. The Cavs are very deep at the 4 and I don't see Bennett being quick enough to guard 3s. I watched some of his games leading up to March Madness and he doesn't go up strong. He fades away in the paint instead of going to basket (maybe his shoulder was already bothering him?). He may have got away with that in high school and against less physical players in college, but he won't be able to do that in the NBA. In my opinion his skill set and the Cavs depth move him down the rookie ladder a fair bit.

Apparently, he can't palm a basketball, not that it should be used to judge his potential:

http://youtu.be/8JZr_GKwmtY

But it does look like he needs to work on his conditioning, though it is the off season.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 278)

PreviousNext

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers