Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Re: 2013 NBA Draft - Fantasy Fallout

Postby silentjim » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:
jphanned wrote:Who drafted McLemore at 2? Joe Dumars? :-o

Close. It was silentjim. :-D

I drafted him to trade him. :-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 735)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:17 am

silentjim wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:
jphanned wrote:Who drafted McLemore at 2? Joe Dumars? :-o

Close. It was silentjim. :-D

I wasn't actually mocking. McLemore has a lot of value based on the rookie impact articles I've seen. His poor summer league showing sucks a little, but he's got a nice skill set and should get lots of minutes.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)

Postby silentjim » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:27 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:
silentjim wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:Close. It was silentjim. :-D

I wasn't actually mocking. McLemore has a lot of value based on the rookie impact articles I've seen. His poor summer league showing sucks a little, but he's got a nice skill set and should get lots of minutes.

From a fantasy standpoint in the short term, I think McLemore has some of the better value. In a redraft league I think Oladipo, McLemore, Trey Burke, MCW, Cody Zeller, and a few others will be the only ones even remotely considered in standard league. There's still quite a bit of time before the season starts and maybe the pre-season will shed some light on playing time though.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bujfan2030 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:36 am

Fenris the problem with MCW in my opinion is that almost any backup they sign has a chance of being a better player than him and hence any advantage in minutes played disappearing. Let's say he does start. We're talking about a guy who puts you at a severe disadvantage in FG% and TO's, and his assist upside is going to be limited if teams just sag off and play the pass. And generally I would rather have upside in a year where there's no clear dominant player.

I get the distrust of Bennett, but I do think he can be more effective than Williams getting to the paint and to the rim and the FT line. He just feels more athletic/stronger to me. And Cleveland does seem to intend to keep him at the 4.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:11 am

bujfan2030 wrote:. And generally I would rather have upside in a year where there's no clear dominant player.

Sheer folly sir. Folly I say! :-b Playing time is the rookie trump card, more than anything else. Some guys are great prospects but simply aren't going to play enough minutes to matter. MCW doesn't have that problem. Sure, he may flame out, but Philly is in full tank mode so he'll have a lot of leash and I'd rather draft a guy who is going to play and then hope he plays well than a guy who will play well but whom I doubt plays for whatever reason.

And yeah, we're talking about the non-dominant talent types. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby silentjim » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:35 am

Fenris-77 wrote:
bujfan2030 wrote:. And generally I would rather have upside in a year where there's no clear dominant player.

Sheer folly sir. Folly I say! :-b Playing time is the rookie trump card, more than anything else. Some guys are great prospects but simply aren't going to play enough minutes to matter. MCW doesn't have that problem. Sure, he may flame out, but Philly is in full tank mode so he'll have a lot of leash and I'd rather draft a guy who is going to play and then hope he plays well than a guy who will play well but whom I doubt plays for whatever reason.

And yeah, we're talking about the non-dominant talent types. ;-D

Agreed. Minutes can be the biggest determining factor in fantasy rookie value.
silentjim

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:38 pm

Feel like too many people are slamming Porter. There have been some very useful forwards that had less skills coming into the league but ended up being nice fantasy performers. I feel Otto will at least achieve that due to his 3/stl/blk potential.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Postby bujfan2030 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:21 am

I wrote
Fenris the problem with MCW in my opinion is that almost any backup they sign has a chance of being a better player than him

So, the Sixers traded for Tony Wroten, the one guard in the league who shoots as badly as MCW. And thus is my argument destroyed :-)
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:31 am

bujfan2030 wrote:
I wrote
Fenris the problem with MCW in my opinion is that almost any backup they sign has a chance of being a better player than him

So, the Sixers traded for Tony Wroten, the one guard in the league who shoots as badly as MCW. And thus is my argument destroyed :-)

Even if they signed a competent back-up they're still motivated to play MCW as much as he can handle. They aren't interested in winning games really, and stretching MCW out to see what he can do is the only logical route for them to go. Obviously he could flame out, but that's the risk you take drafting big minute rookies. I'm really not concerned about MCW's playing time, and even less so with Wroten on board. :-b
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:32 pm

I actually may like Wroten more than MCW. Wroten is younger and I am very curious to see how he pans out. I do not think it is beyond the realm of possibility to see him out perform MCW.
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 153)

PreviousNext

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers