2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby nykos » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi Guys,

here is my 2nd / 1st post apparently, as my first post this morning was quoted as "too spammy for a 1st post" due to my yahoo profile link it seems....
so here we go again!

like I said to Dasein, I am very much interested in your league, and I have never played fantasy like that. I have already started digging into the rules & teams available :-D but it's hell of details to go through !!

As I'm travelling China this week, would you let me some days to decide which team to pick? I need to understand the rules, the teams values & possible strategies with FA.
When would FA auction start? I have daily access to internet in August, but I'll take 3weeks vacation in Australia (23/08 to 18/09) so I hope I could still play?
Besides that, last year, I played 9 leagues (8Y! & 1ESPN), good but too many leagues, so I'll rationalize... my worst raking was the auction roto league with Dasein ;-) where I screwed the draft and did not trade enough to correct my holes... I won 2 BBM leagues (including one with Durant...).

To finish this 1st post, I can tell you that I leave in France, I'm 33 and I work in business/marketing for a chesmistry company !!
Cheers all ;-)
nykos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 208)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Da Ruhl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 pm

All,

Joining the league. Looks like a good group of folks - glad to see a few familiar names from BBM. Very interesting rule set and quite curious to see how it works in practice. Definitely the most complex and realistic salary cap structure I've seen.

Last year played only two leagues - had wanted to play a few more, but had some issues with joining/drafts as superstorm Sandy knocked out my internet access for about a week and a half. Won one league and finished 5 of 12 in the other (my worst finish ever), which I'd note my co-newbie below won (apparently Durant-Harden is better than Wade-Pau). :-)

Off the internet, I'm a Bulls fan (lived in Chicago area during the Jordan era) and a KG (and hence recently converted Celtics -> Nets) fan. I'm 36, live in NYC, and work in finance.

Looking forward to the year!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 153)

Postby silentjim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Welcome both guys. ;-D

Definitely peak through the threads that are here to see how things are handled. Once we get a complete set of managers we should move forward with the rookie draft (IE players drafted in this year's draft) and they have pre-defined salaries based on where they are drafted. After that we'll move forward with the actual free agency period based on tiers. Seems like the bidding process is where we usually run into the most problems with guys over bidding, under bidding, doing bad math, etc, so that's where I'd pay attention to. :-)
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby So-Tex » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:19 pm

Welcome! :-)

Yes, Jim said it best - the fundamental day-to-day stuff is pretty much like any other league. It's the free agency bidding process which tends to trip everyone up, even some of us who have been here. :-b And the rules for bidding on FA players are usually the ones we discuss year round, mostly to simplify the process yet keep it engaging.

So definitely read up on bidding on FA players. And feel free to ask questions, especially those of the "what happened last time around" type. I've found that those examples are the best one's to use to get a grasp of how bidding is, and isn't, supposed to work. ;-D

Looking forward to it fellas! :-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:45 pm

dasein wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:I think we are on the right track but we do need to proceed with caution so we can have overwhelming continuity in the league (especially in this type of league structure). We have time to reach out to potential managers and don't need to rush it.

It's a fair point rockets. I think the two that have jumped on board will be fine though. Not that there are any guarantees with continuity.

Totally on board with the two new GM's. Thanks for reaching out to them dasein! ;-D

And welcome to the new managers ;-D
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

So-Tex wrote:Welcome! :-)

Yes, Jim said it best - the fundamental day-to-day stuff is pretty much like any other league. It's the free agency bidding process which tends to trip everyone up, even some of us who have been here. :-b And the rules for bidding on FA players are usually the ones we discuss year round, mostly to simplify the process yet keep it engaging.

So definitely read up on bidding on FA players. And feel free to ask questions, especially those of the "what happened last time around" type. I've found that those examples are the best one's to use to get a grasp of how bidding is, and isn't, supposed to work. ;-D

Looking forward to it fellas! :-D

Just about to write that. I still don't understand all of the rules. Luckily we have a fantastic admin team and scully is a trooper keeping the salary spreadsheet up-to-date.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nykos » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:55 am

Hey,

do you have archived posts links about last years FA auctions? it would help us see how it goes, as yes it is something special not to screw....

+ would you have the last excel sheet of salaries of last season so we could see how the league looked : who was capped, not capped.... salaries given per players & players values.....

it would definitely increase our learning curve !
thanks
nykos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 208)

Postby barrec » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:36 am

Indeed, welcome new GMs Nykos and Da Ruhl!

Let me echo what has already been mentioned - check the FA rules and don't be afraid to ask question that us vets might be timid to ask about. Any clarification does us all a favor.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby dasein » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:14 am

nykos wrote:
do you have archived posts links about last years FA auctions?

look at the 2012-13 Season Stuff thread, starting from page 10. It's actually a bit confusing as archiving has resulted in all posts being listed by time of post. When we do the auctions, each one has its own thread so it looks a bit different- you don't have 6 different players per page.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

Postby dasein » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:21 am

nykos wrote:When would FA auction start? I have daily access to internet in August, but I'll take 3weeks vacation in Australia (23/08 to 18/09) so I hope I could still play?

There is no set time for free agency to start. It will be whenever we have everyone checked in and ready to go. Last year we started early Oct, but it won't necessarily be then again this year. We'll kick off the rookie draft first, but this can actually be run at the same time as free agency if necessary.

As long as you can check in daily during free agency you can participate. You don't need to be in front of the computer the whole time.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap