2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:51 am

Probably the most useful thing you can do is take a look at the current league wide salaries and get a feel for what guys go for at auction. Once you get a handle on what guys in various tier sell for everything else is gravy. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Da Ruhl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi all,

Two other quick questions as I've been getting up to speed:

- Is there any easy way for me to get a peak at last year's league on Yahoo? Not vital if it is really complicated to do, but can be helpful to see how teams finished, how much trading / add-dropping there was, etc. etc.

- Is there a league policy (formal or informal) on tanking? Both in terms of making trades that are obviously bad for the current season but should (hopefully!) help in future seasons and in terms of not going all out every week in an attempt to finish lower and get a better draft pick for the next year? I'm not trying to imply I'd consider the option this early, but (similar to the real NBA this year), if Mar rolls around and I'm in 14th with no real shot at the playoffs, and people still think the '14 draft class is all that... so feel like I should ask now just in case. I've seen this issue sort of destroy a multi-year league, unfortunately.

Thanks!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 153)

Postby dasein » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Da Ruhl wrote:
- Is there any easy way for me to get a peak at last year's league on Yahoo? Not vital if it is really complicated to do, but can be helpful to see how teams finished, how much trading / add-dropping there was, etc. etc.

don't know about looking at the team page, but you can see the finishing order by looking at the 2nd round of this year's rookie draft (first post in this thread). It runs in reverse order. I'd guess that there were about a dozen or less trades last year. I don't know how many add drops there were, but it would be much less than in a standard league. You have to start and win an auction before you can add a player during the season. At a guess, I'd say most teams wouldn't do it more than 2 or 3 times in a season.

Da Ruhl wrote:- Is there a league policy (formal or informal) on tanking? Both in terms of making trades that are obviously bad for the current season but should (hopefully!) help in future seasons and in terms of not going all out every week in an attempt to finish lower and get a better draft pick for the next year? I'm not trying to imply I'd consider the option this early, but (similar to the real NBA this year), if Mar rolls around and I'm in 14th with no real shot at the playoffs, and people still think the '14 draft class is all that... so feel like I should ask now just in case. I've seen this issue sort of destroy a multi-year league, unfortunately.

If by tanking you mean not setting lineups or sitting your stars to ensure you loose, then yes that would be a problem. Making trades with an eye to the future (like the Boston side of Celtics/Nets) would be ok if the perceived value proposition is clear. Making dumb trades that do nothing but make you worse this year would raise some eyebrows and some questions. We don't have clear rules on everything simply because we can't forsee everything, but there is a rules committee that judges dodgey stuff on a case by case basis and can apply penalties or veto if necessary. Thankfully, we haven't really had to do much of that. And the golden rule is: when in doubt, ask!. So you're off to a great start. ;-D
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby Da Ruhl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:17 am

Thanks, very helpful. Feel like I've got a decent handle on the setup. Look forward to getting started!

Best,

DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 153)

Postby nykos » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:28 am

Have you discussed in the past in giving the n°1 draft position to the 9th ranked manager in order to avoid tanking?
It's in place in some of my leagues and it's work perfectly well. Every Manager plays 100% till the end. So it's not like true NBA, but at least, everyone is motivated till the end.
nykos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 208)

Postby dasein » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:23 pm

No we haven't. We just use a lottery- same as the NBA. Tanking hasn't really been an issue before, so not something we've had to worry about.

I personally am not in love with the idea of giving the first pick to the 9th placed team. It feels like it creates a new problem for the sake of solving another that might not even exist. I feel like the rules committee can deal with managers who aren't playing in the spirit of the game well enough to act as a sufficient deterrent. We can do things that even Stern can't...mwahhhaaahhhaa }:-)
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby scully19 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:29 pm

We did balance out the lottery a bit though, so the teams that don't make the playoffs have a better chance of getting the top pick that the NBA actually has.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)

Postby silentjim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:41 pm

scully19 wrote:We did balance out the lottery a bit though, so the teams that don't make the playoffs have a better chance of getting the top pick that the NBA actually has.

Exactly. Not to mention in some instances having a worse pick might be a good thing depending on the draft class and salaries associated with the picks.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby nykos » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi Guys,

After my chinese trip, I can definitely say I'm yours. I dig day after day the rules & old threads to get used to the rules & all details that can make the difference.

1. Regarding taking over a team, I wanted to know if new owners can amnesty one/two contracts without impacting the cap. I saw some hot discussion with some new(old) owners (SoTex mainly 2years ago) around some contracts...
If I'm correct (I found some excel files of the teams for 2011 & 2012 seasons with Scully's skydrive : fbb2 & fbb3.xlsm), calderon was not in your cap anymore in 2012 file? all 3 teams have some not so sexy contracts...

2. Regarding the tie breaker n°2 for FA auctions, did someone already build the table with BBM data (data from last season right?)

3. Where you stand in the evolution of the tiebreaking system? it seems all new teams have 0 shot at the current top5 players....we need to tank for geting draft picks and draft picks? even if I understand the concept of a good player wanting to play with good teams, we saw James leave for Miami at the time where Miami had only one star in dwayne wade, so in reality, it can happen too, but no way in this league, right?

4. Bird Rights will be used only for max players right?
if a player in traded in the last season of his contract, does the new team gains the birds rights or should he play one full season for this team?

5. FA auctions timing: 12h may be short some days for me with my 6h time difference... (if I need to go to work with a day starting by meetings....)

looking forward to your comments ! ;-)
nykos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 208)

Postby barrec » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:08 pm

nykos wrote:4. Bird Rights will be used only for max players right?
if a player in traded in the last season of his contract, does the new team gains the birds rights or should he play one full season for this team?

Glad you are in! As I understand it, in order to hold Bird Rights on a player, the player must have been under contract for 2+ years. Bird rights come with the player, so even if I acquired the player mid season, I'd get his bird rights in the off season (as long as he was under contract for the requisite time). Based on salary structure, contracts can be 2 or more years starting at any amount (BYS), not just max. One of the benefits of bird rights is being able to match a contract offer without having to bid on a player (I learned that first hand last season).

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of that.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap