2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby dasein » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:19 pm

I was thinking more along the lines that there aren't any max players in free agency this year, so there won't be any tie breakers applied, so the star list used for them won't be needed.

Increasing the max is an interesting idea, in that increasing the cost of owning Durant somewhat levels the playing field by reducing the available money for the rest of his roster. Not saying we should apply it retroactivly, but am interested to hear what others think about that idea.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby capoltorta » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Hey guys, I'm in for sure for the last spot, taking over c-note I believe. I've been so busy lately, but I will read through all the rules and such as soon as can ok. Looks like a great league with some regulars I recognize, and don't worry, I will try to keep the homerism to a minimum. Cheers!

-Cap.
capoltorta
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 168)

Postby So-Tex » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Welcome aboard, Cap! Great to have you!!! ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby barrec » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:52 pm

dasein wrote:I was thinking more along the lines that there aren't any max players in free agency this year, so there won't be any tie breakers applied, so the star list used for them won't be needed.

Increasing the max is an interesting idea, in that increasing the cost of owning Durant somewhat levels the playing field by reducing the available money for the rest of his roster. Not saying we should apply it retroactivly, but am interested to hear what others think about that idea.

This thought also crossed my mind. It wouldn't too unlike the current NBA structure where a player can make more money staying with a team than leaving, but of course the team loses some cap space exercising the privilege.

capoltorta wrote:Hey guys, I'm in for sure for the last spot, taking over c-note I believe. I've been so busy lately, but I will read through all the rules and such as soon as can ok. Looks like a great league with some regulars I recognize, and don't worry, I will try to keep the homerism to a minimum. Cheers!

-Cap.

Welcome to the league!
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:25 pm

All for new managers having the ability to amnesty a player.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nykos » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Some comments:
- I'm in favor of possibily merging tie breaker 2 & 3.

- I think the bird's rights should give a point like other quality players but not 2.

- I'm in favor of making pay the best players a little bit more, so maybe we link the player's value in BBM for the past Y (?) year when he hits FA and if his value is more than XX (0,8?), then he can be extendend for more than 20M (25/30M?)

- I was wondering if we could link the tiebreaking formula to some usage % of the different players. I was thinking in reality, if I'm correct, one star like to be with max another star and not 3 other.... but they like quality players. Maybe the usage stats could be interesting? I have no formula to propose however...

- For possible amnesty, I think every new manager could possibly amnesty 1/2 players for free or little cost, so helping him rebuild and not carry over too many fat/bad contracts from the previous manager. I must say Red & Raffrox teams are not so bad in terms of heavy contracts, but anyway, it would boost new managers a little bit. For DC, I guess every manager would swallow Amare contract for one year and starting a dynasty with Durant :-D.

For DR & Capoltorta, if you don't mind, I would like us to settle on possible leagues rules adaptation before picking a team, even if I'm hesitating mostly between Red & Raffrox teams. It shoud not change much the preparation of the draft & FA periods.

Nico
nykos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 208)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:27 pm

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I think that the teams need to be taken over pretty much as-is. Everyone has big contracts to deal with, it's the nature of the league, and rebuilding a team is a long term commitment. I wouldn't be upset about, say, a single waive that covers maybe 15-25% more of a contract, but outright amnesty? I don't support it. Mostly because it changes the nature of free agency more than I'd like.

I've taken over dynasty teams, and even started one as an expansion franchise, and it's more than possible to build a winner without it taking half a decade. I promise. ;-D

@nykos - the BBM thing has been brought up before (by me actually, more than once). The truth is it's a lot of paperwork and no one's really interested in taking it on. I don't mind the idea of designated franchise guys, but I'd want a different bidding system than the one we use if we were going to implement that idea.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby Da Ruhl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:42 am

dasein wrote:I was thinking more along the lines that there aren't any max players in free agency this year, so there won't be any tie breakers applied, so the star list used for them won't be needed.

That too - good point. :-) Agreed.

I like it (obviously), definitely not retroactive.

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 153)

Postby dasein » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:52 am

Just to clarify, there is no referendum going on about whether the new guys get an amnesty. A guy asked the question, which is more than fine, buuut for a whole raft of reasons it aint happening. End of story.

@niko- not sure exactly what these rule changes that you're thinking off are. We're throwing around a few ideas but at the end of the day, there's a pretty good chance nothing changes and even if it does it will be a minor tweak round the edges. Certainly won't be anything that will impact which team you should choose.

Oh, and Cap from BBM was considering joining. But I guess you know that already. Welcome Cap! :-)
So baring any more unforeseen pike outs, we're up to capacity again. This thing is in danger of becoming the BBM SCL though. O:-)
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:14 am

It'll be the BBM SCL when Buser joins and not before. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap