2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby silentjim » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:54 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Still think new managers should get one amnesty. We all did before. Every bit helps when you are trying to put your stamp on the team.

I could get on board with this as well. Helps a newbie and gives them some flexibility depending on what they want to do with a new direction for a team. Technically the players that's waived could be a benefit to other teams as well who would be interested in him at a better deal. So to me its a bit of a win win. I think we should just include a new rule that says a new manager has the right to amnesty one player at no penalty and the player must have already been on the inherited team. Give them 2-3 weeks to decided and then be done.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby capoltorta » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:03 pm

I would certainly appreciate it, especially if everyone else had the same opportunity.
capoltorta
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 168)

Postby barrec » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:13 pm

silentjim wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Still think new managers should get one amnesty. We all did before. Every bit helps when you are trying to put your stamp on the team.

I could get on board with this as well. Helps a newbie and gives them some flexibility depending on what they want to do with a new direction for a team. Technically the players that's waived could be a benefit to other teams as well who would be interested in him at a better deal. So to me its a bit of a win win. I think we should just include a new rule that says a new manager has the right to amnesty one player at no penalty and the player must have already been on the inherited team. Give them 2-3 weeks to decided and then be done.

Sounds logical to me and I think it's fair enough.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:21 pm

capoltorta wrote:I would certainly appreciate it, especially if everyone else had the same opportunity.

Not everyone, just people who have taken over teams. Some of us have to live with our mistakes. :-b
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby capoltorta » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:41 pm

I would like to amnesty Luis Scola's 4 million this year if I can, not sure where to post it.
capoltorta
College Captain
College Captain

Postby dcdoorknob » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:02 am

Fenris-77 wrote:
capoltorta wrote:I would certainly appreciate it, especially if everyone else had the same opportunity.

Not everyone, just people who have taken over teams. Some of us have to live with our mistakes. :-b

Not all people who have taken over teams either. There was no amnesty for new owners last year.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 125)

Postby dasein » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:13 am

Yes, every team already had one a couple years ago. Not every manager has had one- see dc's comment above. For this reason alone it would be unfair to let these guys have one now.

Also, the driving reason we decided on a one-off league-wide amnesty a couple years ago was that there were a lot of poor decisions made in the first couple of years of this league and some of the newer owners had inherited complete disasters. For those who don't remember, at that time the league was unwilling to let only the new incoming guys have an amnesty- hence we ended up with everyone getting one. Reversing this now when the new guys are inheriting serviceable, competitive rosters with pretty clean cap makes no sense to me.

When the worst of them (roster wise) is asking to amnesty Scola for a crummy 4M, I think that tells you all you need to know about how completely unnecessary any amnesty is.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:26 am

dasein wrote:

Yes, every team already had one a couple years ago. Not every manager has had one- see dc's comment above. For this reason alone it would be unfair to let these guys have one now.

Also, the driving reason we decided on a one-off league-wide amnesty a couple years ago was that there were a lot of poor decisions made in the first couple of years of this league and some of the newer owners had inherited complete disasters. For those who don't remember, at that time the league was unwilling to let only the new incoming guys have an amnesty- hence we ended up with everyone getting one. Reversing this now when the new guys are inheriting serviceable, competitive rosters with pretty clean cap makes no sense to me.

When the worst of them (roster wise) is asking to amnesty Scola for a crummy 4M, I think that tells you all you need to know about how completely unnecessary any amnesty is.

Ah, didn't know the back story.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby capoltorta » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:52 am

I don't know the back story either, and I am fine with whatever the league decides but I will say this, it does kind of suck when you take over a team you didn't build yourself, and you have to live with other people's poor decisions. I'm glad to be a part of this league now, but I never would have built my team the way it is, and I really don't think allowing the three of us to drop one player is going to shake up the league too much. I know 4 million doesn't seem like a lot, but when it's the difference between a 15 million dollar cap space and say a 20 million dollar cap space it could mean the difference in me getting a free agent I want or not, so we're not only talking about this year being affected, but future years as well. So honestly, what's the harm, give us newbies a break, I'm already stuck with a bunch of guys I don't want, and it sounds like most people are fine with it.
capoltorta
College Captain
College Captain

Postby dasein » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:26 am

Cap, as I said above, the same arguments you've given applied to all the other incoming managers over the last 4 years. They often had much worse situations than you and they weren't "given a break" either.

Take me for example. I finished dead last my first year, with a squad headlined by a washed up Caron Butler who was locked in to 13M for 3 years. I had to give up a top 3 pick as the price for someone taking A-Dolph (10M over multiple years) off my hands. You don't want the entire oral history of my team, but you get the picture. Most new incoming managers had to do similar things (SoTex's team was even worse than mine). Like I said before, the squads you guys have now look like the 96 Bulls by comparison. So why should playing the sympathy card work for you guys when it's never flown before?

I understand the point of view of you new guys- I was once in your shoes. Try and understand it from our viewpoint.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap