2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe


Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby dasein » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:54 am

And I forgot to point out. If you want to get rid of Scola Cap, you can just buy him out for 25% of his salary because he's on the last year of his deal. This is a new rule btw (we didn't have this option when I started)

So you just post the buy out, 3M comes of your cap 1M stays on it. Simple. Certainly not worth stirring up this hornets nest to save 1M.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 918
(Past Year: 435)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby capoltorta » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:12 am

Again, I don't know what happened before I got here, and I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything, just offer my opinion. Sure, my team is not horrible, but what are we even talking about here, letting replacement teams drop their worst player? It's not exactly rigging the lottery, right? In the grand scheme of things these will be meaningless moves. All it does is give new managers a tiny bit more freedom to start building their team the way they want a little sooner. I understand league history sets precedents, and rule changing is difficult, but I do think this one makes sense, and if I'm being bias then why not implement it next year. Replacement teams are usually bottom feeders as it is, which is not their fault, so giving them such a slight improvement is justified in my opinion.
Last edited by capoltorta on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
capoltorta
College Captain
College Captain


Posts: 396
(Past Year: 168)
Joined: 2 Feb 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby capoltorta » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:20 am

In that case I would want to amnesty Austin Rivers and buy out Scola, which would save me 5.5M this year, right? Not trying to stir anything up, just improve my team. Either way I'm good.
capoltorta
College Captain
College Captain


Posts: 396
(Past Year: 168)
Joined: 2 Feb 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby Da Ruhl » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:38 am

All,

Lots of good discussion on this amnesty question. Several different options mentioned but in my opinion it feels like we've exhausted the discussion and it is time for whatever mechanism we use (and apologies, I really should know this) - be it a commissioner, league vote, tribunal, etc. to make the final call and let's move on.

Meanwhile, I know we're all anxious to get going with the rookie draft, but as the newbies just got our teams today, could I ask that we hold off til the weekend or Monday to allow us a little time to figure out our next moves and explore trades?

Thanks!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster


Posts: 162
(Past Year: 153)
Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby dasein » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:47 am

Da Ruhl wrote: it feels like we've exhausted the discussion and it is time for whatever mechanism we use (and apologies, I really should know this) - be it a commissioner, league vote, tribunal, etc. to make the final call and let's move on.


Agreed, and from my perspective this discussion has been just that- discussion. This question has already been voted on in league history and the decision was no amnesty. Nothing has happened that would change the rational behind that earlier decision.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 918
(Past Year: 435)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby So-Tex » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:14 am

I'm in agreement, that we've pretty much cleaned up the "albatross" contracts that were running ram-pet in the league a few years back. Pretty much everything that's happened these last few years, has happened under the new version of the rules. So to amnesty now, even for the noobs, is really just fixing the current groups "mistakes". So I'd probably vote no on that front.

And with regards to my team's history with this whole amnesty issue: It's one thing to amnesty a player who's on your current roster. It's something toooootally different when you have to amnesty a waived player's contract because it's costing you more than most free agents in the pool! I inherited Jose Calderon...at roughly 18M...and I say "roughly" because I don't even WANT to remember what his contract went for! %-6

I know that one wasn't the only bad contract floating around out there at the time...but that one was BAAAAAAAD. Trust me, Cap, you guys have it good, when your worse deals are Austin Rivers and Luis Scola. ;-)
Image
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1039
(Past Year: 217)
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: South Texas, USA

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby nykos » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:11 am

Can you (re)explain me the FA auction groups? I found the excel table. Are we gonna bid "vertically" (one stud & couple of no studs ;-)) or "horizontally" (groups by ~value levels)?
If I'm correct, the groups orders are randomized in addition, right?
Have you discussed in the past few years how to make FA biddings clearer? using a global thread is hard to follow which FA stands where....
nykos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster


Posts: 221
(Past Year: 208)
Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby dasein » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:07 pm

nykos wrote:Can you (re)explain me the FA auction groups? I found the excel table. Are we gonna bid "vertically" (one stud & couple of no studs ;-)) or "horizontally" (groups by ~value levels)?
If I'm correct, the groups orders are randomized in addition, right?
Have you discussed in the past few years how to make FA biddings clearer? using a global thread is hard to follow which FA stands where....


Last question first. We don't use a global thread- it just looks that way in the archive. Each available player will have has it's own thread.

The groups (columns) are randomised yes. Auctions for all players in the first column (whatever that may be) start at the same time. Once a player is won, the player of the same tier from the next column (as decided by the randomised order) is put up for auction. We keep going until the whole table is done. When it slows down a bit towards the end, managers can ask for players that aren't currently in the table to be nominated.

Make sense?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 918
(Past Year: 435)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2013-2014 Draft Order and Check-in

Postby silentjim » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:14 pm

dasein wrote:
nykos wrote:Can you (re)explain me the FA auction groups? I found the excel table. Are we gonna bid "vertically" (one stud & couple of no studs ;-)) or "horizontally" (groups by ~value levels)?
If I'm correct, the groups orders are randomized in addition, right?
Have you discussed in the past few years how to make FA biddings clearer? using a global thread is hard to follow which FA stands where....


Last question first. We don't use a global thread- it just looks that way in the archive. Each available player will have has it's own thread.

The groups (columns) are randomised yes. Auctions for all players in the first column (whatever that may be) start at the same time. Once a player is won, the player of the same tier from the next column (as decided by the randomised order) is put up for auction. We keep going until the whole table is done. When it slows down a bit towards the end, managers can ask for players that aren't currently in the table to be nominated.

Make sense?


I think vertically is your answer. When we start the draft, Group 1 will all be nominated and put up for bid, which should give you a bit of an idea of who's available when. It also was implemented in trying to helps the salary situation out a bit so 10 max deals weren't floating out there at once (keep in mind that every leading bid you place is a salary hold, which means if you have 10M in cap space bid 10M, and then feel like bidding on someone else, you would either need to waiver a player, or hope you get outbid to free up some of that 10M). Because you win a bid in the off-season when your bid is the leading bid for 12 hours, you can see that Aldridge could be won in 36 hours, where if bidding for Dragic draws out, it could technically take weeks. So, once a player is won from a grouping, the next player to the right in the same row can be nominated.

So as an example, LMA, Iggy, Dragic, and everyone in group 1 is nominated. I offer a max bid on LMA and no one matches and I win him 13 hours. Derrick Rose is then nominated since he's in the same row but in a different grouping. Once Iggy is won, then Cousins gets nominated. Anyone on the committee should be able to nominate the next player and you should see a winning bids thread and a losing bids thread shortly once the auction starts.

As others have mentioned each player will have his own thread with his name in the title to start.
Image
silentjim
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11486
(Past Year: 794)
Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless.

Previous

Return to FBC Salary Cap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues




  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact