Return to Heroes Keeper

2013 - 2014 Draft Discussion

Moderator: Lilstinkylynx

Re: 2013 - 2014 Draft Discussion

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Phil O'Pastry wrote:
Lilstinkylynx wrote:
wesbaedke wrote:
Quite a fall for Thornton. Probably a round or two lower than he should've gone. The guy is young and has proven that he can provide a useful fantasy line. Curious if he gets traded this season. I've gotta believe there will be a lot of interest based on all the teams that are weak at SG. Great stash at this point in the draft.

I didn't understand it either. I don't see how a guy like Frye would be picked ahead when at this point of the draft we are strictly looking for that potential blow up. Oh, well, just me being hard on Baller again.

I would have taken a flier on a the guy if he would have any use on my team. Unfortunately, I'm already stacked at the stats he would provide me.

Great stash GGS.

Thornton has good upside, however, McLemore will be getting a lot of minutes. Frye is in a similar situation with a time share with Morris. I think they are both astute picks. Take a good look at Frye's last season of playing and what Thornton did last year - they are eerily similar, except Frye brings more blocks and rebounds to the dance.

I know what you are saying. But a year off for health issues never means a productive return. I guess I'm not a gambling man.
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 154)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Lilstinkylynx wrote:
wesbaedke wrote:8.11 Reggie Jackson (OKC - PG)

You lucky bastard!!! Lucky you got the news today and lucky you have baller picking in front of you.

I was going to draft him with my last pick, or my next one if he was still available. Damn it. Thank god I traded for him a month or so ago in a dynasty league I'm in. Woo Hoo!!!
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 156)

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Gauging the value of pick 9.3... Send offers via PM.
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:22 am

Keeper Core Thoughts

Tier 1 - Ridiculous

1. Saldogg - Kevin Durant, Lebron James, LaMarcus Aldridge, Serge Ibaka, Tony Parker

In a league of its own. It's actaully scary to think that one point last season he also owned Rose and George. I guess that we can all say he's done quite well for himself since the inception of this league in building his core as is reflected in his raising the banner 3 times out of 6. I think that besides the obvious that he statistically owns the two most dominant players that puts himself at such an advantage, the other huge factor I have noticed on Saldogg's team is how durable his core is. Not losing any of those guys for an extended period of time puts him at such an advantage.

Tier 2 - Damn Sexy

2. Lilstinkylynx - Stephen Curry, James Harden, Kevin Love, Kawhi Leonard, Larry Sanders

Not even close to Saldogg's caliber, but I can safely say that everyone who takes a quick look at this core would have 'SEXY' on their lips. In a keeper league you always look for productive players that are young enough to carry you from season in and season out without having to worry about a rebuild too soon. That's exactly what I got. Not to mention, I own an elite player at every position. This gives me a lot of freedom in drafts by not having to reach for any one player based on position eligibility. My issue, the exact opposite of Saldogg's, is that my team is made of glass (especially when it comes to my big dogs). Oh well, makes me work even order to draft better and make moves to take down the big empire.

3. Tekopp - Deron Williams, Kyrie Irving, Paul Millsap, Rudy Gay, JaVale McGee

Another one of those cores of young guns that have shown productivity and glimmers of being productive for many season to come. One of top managers in this league, Tek has built quite a team. four out of his 5 players have at one point in their careers posted top 15 Value. That's quite a core no matter how you look at it. Add to that... I love that he has two elite PG's in a time where elite fantasy PG's are far and few between IMO. A consistent stud in Millsap that has been placed in a wonderful position to succeed. I like a nice bounce back season for Gay and his across the board contributions are what we all look for in a roto league. My biggest concern and his biggest concern is mr JaVale (too imature) Mcgee. With that said, not many guys can have the potential to lead the league in blocks and even with that kind of immaturity, the gamble is well worth it IMO.

Tier 3 - Compete Now

4. Wesbaedke - Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Brandon Jennings, Al Jefferson, Eric Bledsoe

I like to look at this team and think 'Oldies but Goodies.' That obviously goes for Dirk and Pau and in some respects Al. I'm sure that part is self explanatory so I won't go into too much detail. What I like about this core is that Wes has already started the process of transitioning and adding some young blood to his keeper core to get ready for when the oldies are no longer good. Dirk and Pau IMO both had a little bad luck last season and I see a nice bounce back. Al has always been Al and will continue to be Al on his new team. I think that this team, when looking at cores only, will go as far as Jennings and Bledsoe takes them. Both players are placed into somehat unknown situations and whether they reach their fantasy potential is anyone's guess.

5. Barrec - Dwayne Wade, Kemba Walker, Ryan Anderson, Anthony Davis, Al Horford

Two guys who have consistently posted top 15 value in their careers in Wade and Horford. A young stud in Davis who should only build on his fantasy production for the rest of his NBA career. A stalwart and consistent guy in Anderson who produces even when not a starter. A player who took a giant and I mean giant leap last season in Kemba. Oh yeah, this team is built to compete now and I know Barrec wants to take down Sal as bad as I do and will do what it takes to make it happen.

6. Ddomrow - Russell Westbrook, John Wall, Nicolas Batum, Damien Lillard, Brook Lopez

Unfortunately for D, he has now lost Westbrook for quite a significant amount of time. He also entered the draft late. With that said, I would have no problem taking over a team with these pieces as its core. He has two guys that showed they can or have produced top 15 value and another guy in Wall who should take that leap this season. Lopez and Lillard to me fall into the same boat. Guys who peaked too early. I know some people may disagree with me, but I don;t see either guys making massive leaps the rest of their fantasy career.

Tier 4 - Good On Paper, but Where Do You Take Them

7. TonyM - Chris Paul, Goran Dragic, Josh Smith, Anderson Varejao, Chris Bosh

Tony took over a team that won the other 3 seasons in the league that was dominated by Sal. That tells you how good this core is and can still be. with that said, even the previous manager saw that it may be time to break it up and move forward. Will Tony do the same... hard to say.

8. Baller7037 - Rajon Rondo, Ricky Rubio, Dwight Howard, Joakim Noah, Carmelo Anthony

Baller at some point will realize that having Dwight and Rondo on his team means he will never get any more than 1 point in ft% and the fact he has 4 out of 5 guys that will plummit him in the TO cat as well, his draft selection and managerial skills will dictate if he ever joins the top managers/teams in this league. As I have said multiple times in seasons past and again this season, he hasn't quite made the right moves yet. Waiting for him to prove me wrong though. With that said, by having the top two assists and steals guys in the league, he has and can dominate two of the hardest CATs IMO. Quite a coup I would say. I have never been a big fan of Melo in fantasy terms but the past two years have shown me that he can up his game and make himself an elite fantasy player so I give Baller mad props for sticking it through with him. I gave Baller props in my analysis in past for his core and I don;t mind doing it again... just wish he would actually do something with that decent core.

Tier 5 - Good, but Great? Possibly...

9. Jasonuoft - Marc Gasol, Mike Conley, Greg Monroe, Jeff Green, Jeff Teague

One thing about this tier and all the teams in this category is that we got some up-and-comers. It's always hard to determine whether or not these guys will pan out or not. In Jason's case, he went in rebuild mode last season when both Dirk and Pau plummeted. In there place, he has added Green and Teague. Hard to imagine that any of those guys will ever be able to put up value similar to Dirk or Pau. With that said, Jason has been the most consistent manager in this league. Always finishing top 3 except for last season I believe. Definitely won't be counting him out.

10. GGS - Jrue Holiday, Paul George, Chandler Parsons, Blake Griffin, Tim Duncan

I acutally really like where GGS took his team in respect from last year to this year. He got young real quick and a stud in George. Duncan is at the end of his fantasy greatness and I'm sure GGs will look into replacing him as a keeper come season's end, but he is more than a great option for now. We saw Blake and Jrue take a step forward and back last season. Both players had phenomenal starts and less that spectacular finishes. His team will go where these two guys take him since you can't win this league with only one stud. Parsons is on of those glue guys that every team should have.

Tier 6 - You Got Work

11. Mac-Unit - Derrick Rose, Ty Lawson, Ersan Ilyasova, Nikola Vucevic, Jonas Valanciunas

Another young team with so many question marks. Rose - will he be back to form and can he take the next step. Even at his best, Rose has never shown that he is a top 15 guy. Can Ty and Ersan finally put in one full season of consistency. Will Nikola's production change once the team finally adds consistent pieces and a star? This team has no sure studs and Mac will have to decide if any of these guys can become that or if he will need to trade 2 for 1 to get a stud like GGS did last season to nab George.

12. Phil O'Pastry - Monta Ellis, Klay Thompson, Andre Igoudala, Derrick Favors, DeMarcus Cousins

I think the major issue with this core is that you don't know what player will show up. Every single player on this list has so much talent. Problem is, in fantasy terms, talent doesn't always result in fantasy production and wins.

* Just a fun read and my two cents. Comments and responses appreciated. Write ups would be even better.
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:18 pm

Lilstinkylynx wrote:
Tier 5 - You Got Work

12. Phil O'Pastry - Monta Ellis, Klay Thompson, Andre Igoudala, Derrick Favors, DeMarcus Cousins

I think the major issue with this core is that you don't know what player will show up. Every single player on this list has so much talent. Problem is, in fantasy terms, talent doesn't always result in fantasy production and wins.

Pretty accurate. When I took over this team, I thought to myself: This might be a challenge. Needless to say, I have little attachment to any of my players. If the offer is good I'll take it.

That and.... come on Wiggins, or Randle, or Exum or Parker!
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team

Postby wesbaedke » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Ugh...tough luck for me since my last pick. Was hoping Jordan, Bargs or Len (in that order) would be available when it came back around to me at 9.4. All three were grabbed so I had to go with Asik. Hard to predict what will happen in the Houston front court this season other than a minutes drop for Asik. He really performed well in his first full season as a C anchor so the addition of Howard obviously takes a hit to his development....which is why I preferred the upside of the other three guys.
wesbaedke
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks everyone for being prompt on your picks and not using the entire 24 hours. I have entered all the rosters up to this point and there is only one manager left who needs to register for yahoo. Looks like the draft will be completed with plenty of time for us to see all the preseason fun.

If anyone is interested in being co-commish with me, please pm me and let me know. It's a lot of work for one person to handle and I would like to spread the wealth going into next season. ;-)
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby wesbaedke » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:49 am

jasonuoft wrote:10.2 - Alec Burks

Another tough pick to see go right before me. That hurts...really wanted to take a chance at Burks' upside. He's got a great opportunity to get a nice bump this season if Gordon H plays primarily at SF, which he should. I feel Jenkins is the next best option to take a gamble on. Well done jasonuoft.
wesbaedke
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Phil O'Pastry wrote:
Lilstinkylynx wrote:
wesbaedke wrote:8.11 Reggie Jackson (OKC - PG)

You lucky bastard!!! Lucky you got the news today and lucky you have baller picking in front of you.

I was going to draft him with my last pick, or my next one if he was still available. Damn it. Thank god I traded for him a month or so ago in a dynasty league I'm in. Woo Hoo!!!

Nice Handcuff with Lamb.
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby wesbaedke » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:19 pm

[/quote]Nice Handcuff with Lamb.[/quote]

A handcuff for the handcuff? Haha. Not really what I was thinking...certainly wanted another young lottery ticket that might break out this season. I really like his game and his opportunity in OKC.
wesbaedke
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

PreviousNext

Return to Heroes Keeper