2013 - 2014 Draft Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Heroes Keeper

2013 - 2014 Draft Discussion

Moderator: Lilstinkylynx

Re: 2013 - 2014 Draft Discussion

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:56 am

Great DRAFT!!!

Rosters entered. Waivers set. Please double check teams and make sure I entered your roster correctly. Good luck.

Looking forward to the write-ups.
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 157)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby wesbaedke » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Excellent draft guys. That was my first message board draft and there's certainly a lot to like about it. Not being rushed and having the extra time to do some analysis and make deals was really a major benefit. I'm a big fan of an auction draft but if I have to do a snake, this is the best way to go about it.

I think the contender list is short and there is a big cluster from the middle on down. I'm only going to cover the contenders...

1) Evil Empire -- Team is aptly named and shouldn't be beaten. Dominate advantage in FG% and points. Has a little more competition in blocks and rebounds but not much. Also top five in FT% (impressive w/ Drummond) and will be in the top half of most every other category as well. Turnovers the only obvious deficiency. Never pull for an injury but the rest of us will need a KD and/or LBJ injury to take him down.

2) Ka-Whi Jelly -- If EE slips, KWJ will jump at the opportunity to overthrow the dark side. Where EE isn't as strong (Assts, FT%, steals) KWJ should be able to top the league or at least be in the top two. A little more risk with this team with a couple injury prone guys. Points are projected low (no scorers outside of the top three) as well as FG% will be a challenge. Health is really the only thing that can slow this team down...I can't see him falling lower than third or maybe fourth.

3) Batmen -- Excellent blend of youth and experience with Batmen. I'm a big fan of the Horford/Davis combo (I own them in my $$ roto league). Should battle KWJ for steals. Also should be solid in pts, 3s, ft% and tos. In a league where there would be much more balance across all managers, this is team would be the team to beat. Very well constructed and fantastic balance. Will be a tough challenge to beat the two above him but if things break right, it's quite possible.

4) Gunslinger -- Biggest question mark for gunslinger is what he will get from Kobe this year. If he can get 70 games and 80% of last years numbers, he will be in great shape. As we're getting closer to the season, I'm feeling less confident about him though. The Kyrie/DWill PG combo is lethal despite some health concerns. Assists should be his strongest cat and points will be solid too if Kobe can get back. Turnovers will be brutal and FT% will definitely be a challenge. I don't see him cracking the top two but getting into third is definitely a possibility.

I feel all of the other teams have too many deficiencies across the 9 categories to compete with these four teams. Balance is important but you win leagues with the superstars and there is just too much talent at the top.
wesbaedke
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 46)

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Wesbaedke did an amazing write-up and I agree with every point made. I have my top 4 as The Evil Empire, Ka-Whi Jelly, Batmen, and Sima Hoops (Wes is just too humble to add himself to the list). I decided to do a best of and worst of analysis instead.

Round 1

Best: [1.7 Barrec - Thaddeus Young] Since Barrec isn't in rebuild mode by any means, I think he will end up with the most value in this first round CUM. That means that he made out like a bandit and is setting himself up to compete this season.
Worst: [1.8 Ddomrow - Paul Pierce [AutoPick]] It was an autopick and unfortunately for Ddomrow, put him way behind the ball this season.
Honorable Mention: [1.1 TekOpp - Kobe Bryant] Wonderful pick only if Kobe can play a good number of games and from what we know about Kobe, I do expect him to defy the odds.

Round 2

Best: [2.4 Tonym - Gordon Hayward] IMO, and maybe I am a bit biased, I expect Hayward to make a giant leap this season and I would make a huge bet that he will be the highest CUM value among all the players picked in this round. Nice Keeper in the making.
Worst: [2.5 Ddomrow - JR Smith [AutoPick]] Again, another autopick and a bit of a cop out by me to pick it, but it is by far the worst pick. Combine the missed games and JR's attitude and the fact that he just got paid, I expect a regression to the norm.
Honorable Mention: [2.1 Saldogg - Andre Drummond] I'm sure Sal didn't even care about Drummond's horrendous FT% since he has Kevin 'Freaking' Durant and his beastly +++ in that CAT. With that said, eliminate that CAT and Drummond will just be a complete monster.

Round 3

Best: [3.7 Barrec - Danny Green] Ummmm, PLAYOFFS!!! Older San Antonio core means this guy is the future. I would take him over Korver on that alone.
Worst: [3.4 Saldogg [Acquired Via Trade] - Danny Granger] His days are long past and the team knows it.
Honorable Mention: [3.9 Tonym - DeMar DeRozan] I was surprised how well he did once Gay came over and I only see him maintaining that. If he adds some more 3's... watch out.

Round 4

Best: [4.4 Tonym - Jimmy Butler] Across the board production without being hurt from any one cat. Plus he will get minutes, minutes, and more minutes. My kind of pick.
Worst: [4.9 Baller7037 - Andrew Bynum] He's Bynum.
Honorable Mention: [4.8 Lilstinkylynx [Acquired Via Trade] - Andrew Bogut] All he needs to be is healthy and I have a huge steal here. We already know what he can do because he has done it before and has shown glimpses of it (playoffs). Now, hopefully the news of his health is for real.

Round 5

Best: [5.3 Phil O'Pastry - Nene Hilario] Look at the Bogut analysis above.
Worst: [5.12 Saldogg - Iman Shumpert] Filler and nothing more. He'll have some use, but just not on this NY team.
Honorable Mention: [5.11 Tonym [Acquired Via Trade] - John Henson] This goes from honorable mention to CRAZY BEST PICK if Ersan's injury is bad.

Round 6

Best: [6.12 TekOpp - Shawn Marion] His production throughout the years and his production last year says that this is only a safe or win pick. Add in the fact he has played with Calderon and has flourished with him before... I will side with WIN for this one.
Worst: NONE. Great round all around. Every player here was taken where they should be taken and with plenty of upside to crack a starting roster.

Round 7

Best: [7.2 Mac-unit - Brandan Wright] The player you want to own.
Worst and Honorable Mention: [7.10 Phil O'Pastry [Acquired Via Trade] - Samuel Dalembert] The player you don't want to own but always are itching to own. LOL

Round 8

Best: [8.11 Wesbaedke [Acquired Via Trade] - Reggie Jackson] Damn, he will see a huge spike in production while WEst is out and as West is eased back in, I expect he has a nice run. Even when West is back at full strength, his minutes as a sixth man are locked down. What a steal.
Worst: [8.10 Baller7037 [Acquired Via Trade] - Greg Oden] Ummmmm, he could have picked Reggie.
Honorable Mention: [8.3 Lilstinkylynx [Acquired Via Trade] - Patrick Beverley] Kid just has too much talent and is such a better fit compared to Lin that I don't see how he won't be Eric Bledsoe of last season.

Round 9

Best: [9.1 TekOpp - DeAndre Jordan] You know what you are getting from this kid and at this late in the draft, that is something you want. Now, what makes this a great pick is that there are intangibles that can't be measured yet on what Doc can do with him. Pre-season indications look very good.
Worst: [9.11 Lilstinkylynx [Acquired Via Trade] - Greg Stiemsma] - Goodness gracious, I was hoping for DeAndre type upside but he is disappointinng big time during the preseason.
Honorable Mention: [9.8 Ddomrow - Taj Gibson] Man, this guy is going to be a massive keeper. What a great stash.

Round 10

Best: [10.6 Barrec - Elton Brand]
Worst: Can there really be a worst pick this late? I don;t think so. It is all a gamble at this point and WW fodder anyways.
Honorable Mention: [10.4 Lilstinkylynx [Acquired Via Trade] - PJ Tucker]
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 157)

Previous

Return to Heroes Keeper