2013 - 2014 Draft Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Heroes Keeper

2013 - 2014 Draft Discussion

Moderator: Lilstinkylynx

Re: 2013 - 2014 Draft Discussion

Postby mac-unit » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:41 am

Cody Zeller is my personal pick for ROTY and another player who I think could be keeper consideration next year. He has a great situation in Charlotte with the low post pressure having to be focused on Jefferson.
Harkless showed some of what he was capable of the last month of last season, I think he'll get plenty of minutes in Orlando and I hope that he can continue to improve on his late season run.
mac-unit
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby barrec » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:32 am

Lilstinkylynx wrote:
barrec wrote:Nelson and Gallinari may have been reaches, but those were 'my guys' and I wanted to make sure and have them. I'm willing to wait a month or so on Gallinari if his stats come through. Nelson has a chance to put up strong fantasy stats on a weaker team. I doubt he'll be efficient but I am sure to gather some counting stats.

Don't feel Nelson is a reach at all. On my board of PG's left, it was between him and Greivis. My only concern with Nelson is that I don't know how much Oladipo will eat into his playtime and whether he can actually stay on the court. I don't know if he is really in their long term plans, but someone has to play PG so he is fine as long as he is playing.

Gallo on the other hand is more a stash and see scenario. You have a pretty solid team as it stands and are among my top 4 currently so I guess you can have that luxury.

Any thoughts on G. Vasquez? I feel with no elite PG's left, it is hard to pass on a guy who just last season averaged 9+ assists. Not to mention, all my PG's are a bit injury prone. I also noticed he has SG eligibility which is a huge plus. I don't need his threes and he doesn't give much in that cat anyways. Just hoping he can up his defensive stats (steals especially) and efficiency... %'s at least. Shaping up to being a very good draft.

Agreed that Nelson wasn't too much of a reach, especially given the dearth of PG talent. My Gallo pick has mostly to do with me not having a pick in the next round and didn't think he'd be there. As the saying going, it's only a reach if the player would be there the next time you pick, so I am fin e taking him here. Would rather have him than not.

Also like the Vazquez pick. Hard not to take a PG with upside at any point, especially now.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby wesbaedke » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:59 am

After a couple value/team-fit picks, it was time to go young and upside.

There's a lot to like about the rook MCW. Has fantastic size 6'6" and solid PG instincts/vision/ability. I think he has a good chance to avg 7+ assists a game if he can find teammates to score...which is going to be tough at times this season. His steals/blocks #s should be solid and he's a decent finisher around the rim but his outside shot is a major problem. I think he could also really struggle with TOs as well so there is definitely some liability that comes with him. It'll be on the job training for the youngin' and he will no doubt take some lumps along the way but he's also a near lock for 30+ mins a night and at this point, I'll take it.
wesbaedke
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 50)

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:16 pm

wesbaedke wrote:After a couple value/team-fit picks, it was time to go young and upside.

There's a lot to like about the rook MCW. Has fantastic size 6'6" and solid PG instincts/vision/ability. I think he has a good chance to avg 7+ assists a game if he can find teammates to score...which is going to be tough at times this season. His steals/blocks #s should be solid and he's a decent finisher around the rim but his outside shot is a major problem. I think he could also really struggle with TOs as well so there is definitely some liability that comes with him. It'll be on the job training for the youngin' and he will no doubt take some lumps along the way but he's also a near lock for 30+ mins a night and at this point, I'll take it.

Personally I would have preferred to pass on Vasquez and take MCW, but his shooting is so putrid. when you combine that with his high to's that will come with his usage and trying to adjust to playing in the NBA, those were two cats that I couldn't take another hit in. You had build a super efficient team so you could take all the hits I mentioned earlier without completing decapitating your team. Not to mention... I do think his steals number will be a big +++.
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 171)

Postby wesbaedke » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Lilstinkylynx wrote:
wesbaedke wrote:After a couple value/team-fit picks, it was time to go young and upside.

Personally I would have preferred to pass on Vasquez and take MCW, but his shooting is so putrid. when you combine that with his high to's that will come with his usage and trying to adjust to playing in the NBA, those were two cats that I couldn't take another hit in. You had build a super efficient team so you could take all the hits I mentioned earlier without completing decapitating your team. Not to mention... I do think his steals number will be a big +++.

Yeah, hopefully I don't have to rely on him too much and he can sit on my bench...and appreciate in value. :-) Will have to see how the rest of the draft goes tho...

I grabbed Vasquez late in the draft last year in one of my competitive leagues. Sneaky good player. I really enjoyed owning him...had some fantastic games and contributed in several categories. Will be curious how he fits with his new team. Training camp will be very interesting in Sac-town, to say the least.
wesbaedke
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 50)

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Damn, love these offline drafts where you can actually make meaningful moves. So, I basically went all in on Calderon and his efficiency. My bench will be super thin and I have yet to round out my starting 10. Regardless, I'm gunning for you Saldogg. Hoping this will be my season to say 'The Champ is HERE!!!'
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Lilstinkylynx wrote:Damn, love these offline drafts where you can actually make meaningful moves. So, I basically went all in on Calderon and his efficiency. My bench will be super thin and I have yet to round out my starting 10. Regardless, I'm gunning for you Saldogg. Hoping this will be my season to say 'The Champ is HERE!!!'

I like the trade for both of us. I have no illusions as to what and where my team is at present.

That being said, I am pretty high on MKG and think his numbers across the board can be pretty good for roto, especially with an increase in PT and no competition for his position. I like Calderon lot, but I got to move up pretty far with 2 picks and hope Vasquez gets the starters role and improves as he has done the last few seasons.
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 152)

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:10 am

Had a bunch of players I like at 6.10. However, being Canadian I felt it my duty to represent with the hopes that the first overall pick actually lives up to, or close to that level of billing in a crowded front court. Basically, I am praying for a miracle.

Shit. Buyers remorse. Already regretting it... eh.
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 152)

Postby Lilstinkylynx » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:01 pm

What a steal w/ Marion. Was it wishful thinking for me to think that I would still have him available to pick in the 8th. Felt the same about Morris. Sigh...
Lilstinkylynx
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby TekOPP » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 pm

Total unsexy selection but I needed FG% and rebounds and given 30 mins per, Marion is a sneaky choice to potentially give 6th round value.
TekOPP
College Captain
College Captain

Response Team
(Past Year: 27)

PreviousNext

Return to Heroes Keeper