Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Season Discussion

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Season Discussion

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:45 am

Da Ruhl wrote:Rules question:

Rules state:

During the season, a team without open roster spots may still bid on free agents. If such a team wins an auction, it will have 24hrs from the close of the auction to drop a player from it’s roster and claim the newly won player. If this does not occur within this time limit, the auction may be deemed void, and the player returned to the FA pool. Note that a team may not place a bid that puts it over the Salary C, even if it would be under the cap after the subsequent drop of a player currently on the roster.

What about during the offseason? I'm guessing I can go over 16 players as long as I'm down to 16 by the start of the season - but not sure.

Thanks!

-Dennis

Yes, you can.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 129)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:42 am

Yup. There are essentially no roster limits during the offseason.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 388)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Da Ruhl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:23 pm

I think silentjim mentioned this, but I'd be in favor of posting all the remaining guys at this point (by my count, there are only 12 with the a few of those to come off shortly if there are no more bids).

In part admittedly I'm saying this b/c I have some int'l travel coming up about 60 hrs from now and am hoping we'll be largely done by then. Although I will be able to access periodically so not a disaster if we aren't.

And yes, I admit that I probably haven't been a huge contributor to us getting done quickly!! :-)

Thanks!

-DR

PS I think perhaps we could open up to nominated auctions fairly shortly as well - say within the next 24 hrs or so...
Last edited by Da Ruhl on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 149)

Postby silentjim » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Da Ruhl wrote:I think silentjim mentioned this, but I'd be in favor of posting all the remaining guys at this point (by my count, there are only 12 with the a few of those to come off shortly if there are no more bids).

In part admittedly I'm saying this b/c I have some int'l travel coming up about 60 hrs from now and am hoping we'll be largely done by then. Although I will be able to access periodically so not a disaster if we aren't.

And yes, I admit that I probably haven't been a huge contributor to us getting done quickly!! :-)

Thanks!

-DR

I'm posting them all right now. From my count there were 11 left, and we had posted up to 11 at points anyway. Happy Bidding! ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 633)

Postby silentjim » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:03 pm

In seasons past, we of course let managers nominate their own players that are left from the FA pool. Let's let the last groupings here complete. Then make sure we're all good Salary Cap wise and then you can nominate one player at a time from the free agent pool if you so choose. Thanks. ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Da Ruhl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:28 pm

Ok.

Are those nominated auctions 48 hrs like in season or 12 hrs like preseason?

Would be great if we could hold off opening them until 10/10 if they are only 12 hours, but I fully understand that is a selfish and possible unreasonable request.

Thanks!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 149)

Postby silentjim » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:33 pm

Da Ruhl wrote:Ok.

Are those nominated auctions 48 hrs like in season or 12 hrs like preseason?

Would be great if we could hold off opening them until 10/10 if they are only 12 hours, but I fully understand that is a selfish and possible unreasonable request.

Thanks!

-DR

Since it would still be the off season they would be 12 hours. We could probably wait till 10/10. We already held the draft back because of travels and I see no reason not to wait if it helps someone else out here.
silentjim

Postby silentjim » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Additionally guys, if you notice an illegal bid, make it known ASAP.

Waiting until 12 hours has passed and then going oh that bid was illegal so I'm the winner isn't a legit strategy. If it keeps happening, we'll simply make the auction/bidding restart at 12 or 48 hours from when the infraction or illegal bid was noticed.
silentjim

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:30 pm

silentjim wrote:Additionally guys, if you notice an illegal bid, make it known ASAP.

Waiting until 12 hours has passed and then going oh that bid was illegal so I'm the winner isn't a legit strategy. If it keeps happening, we'll simply make the auction/bidding restart at 12 or 48 hours from when the infraction or illegal bid was noticed.

I'll disagree. If you make a bid, you have to police yourself and make sure it is a legal bid. As your opponent, it is a competitive advantage not to point it out.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silentjim » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:46 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
silentjim wrote:Additionally guys, if you notice an illegal bid, make it known ASAP.

I'll disagree. If you make a bid, you have to police yourself and make sure it is a legal bid. As your opponent, it is a competitive advantage not to point it out.

No that's not true. The point is to police yourself and others. Realizing someone did something wrong and not pointing it out to make yourself get a better deal is worse than making an illegal bid in my opinion. Not to mention by not pointing out the infraction you're penalizing every team except yourself, which isn't the point of this league. One manager could have 1M in cap space, but the illegal bid could be for 1.25M and they would think they were out of it even though they weren't.

I've said it a hundred times before, but the point of this leagues isn't to manipulate the rules to benefit your team. It's to be competitive and have fun. Let's not abuse things to benefit ourselves. We need to do what's best for everyone and even if it hurts me personally, I'll make sure things stay as unbiased and fair as possible.
silentjim

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap