Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Season Discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Season Discussion

Postby So-Tex » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:01 pm

silentjim wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
silentjim wrote:Additionally guys, if you notice an illegal bid, make it known ASAP.

Waiting until 12 hours has passed and then going oh that bid was illegal so I'm the winner isn't a legit strategy. If it keeps happening, we'll simply make the auction/bidding restart at 12 or 48 hours from when the infraction or illegal bid was noticed.

I'll disagree. If you make a bid, you have to police yourself and make sure it is a legal bid. As your opponent, it is a competitive advantage not to point it out.

No that's not true. The point is to police yourself and others. Realizing someone did something wrong and not pointing it out to make yourself get a better deal is worse than making an illegal bid in my opinion. Not to mention by not pointing out the infraction you're penalizing every team except yourself, which isn't the point of this league. One manager could have 1M in cap space, but the illegal bid could be for 1.25M and they would think they were out of it even though they weren't.

I've said it a hundred times before, but the point of this leagues isn't to manipulate the rules to benefit your team. It's to be competitive and have fun. Let's not abuse things to benefit ourselves. We need to do what's best for everyone and even if it hurts me personally, I'll make sure things stay as unbiased and fair as possible.

Let me preface what I'm about to say with the fact that I agree 100% with everything that Jim says here...

But I must also stress that if we're going to be 100% "fair" this way, we also need to hold the rookie manager's feet to the fire. This business of giving noobs "chances", simply because they are new and are just getting a hold of the rules is all fine and stuff, I can appreciate that.

But not at the expense of being told that I also need to police every single auction detail for illegal activity. If I'm going to hold everyone accountable for stuff, then I'm going to call into question those previous auctions which were won through illegal means, yet rewarded with nothing but a simple slap on the wrist.

I'll shut up now... :-X
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby nykos » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:09 pm

I agree with Jim too. Even if we need to make sure our bids are correct (I always have my contract calculator opened....), we need to stay fair and say when we see a mistake! ;-D
nykos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 216)

Postby Da Ruhl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:55 pm

If there is a guy who was on our roster last year, but is not in the normal auction, do Bird Rights work on nominated auctions too?

If so, only during preseason or during the regular season as well?

Personally, I think they should count during preseason, even for nominated, but expire at the beginning of the season. Just my 2c.

Thanks!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 159)

Postby silentjim » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:57 pm

Da Ruhl wrote:If there is a guy who was on our roster last year, but is not in the normal auction, do Bird Rights work on nominated auctions too?

If so, only during preseason or during the regular season as well?

Personally, I think they should count during preseason, even for nominated, but expire at the beginning of the season. Just my 2c.

Thanks!

-DR

You are exactly correct. ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 735)

Postby dasein » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:45 pm

I've added another column of FAs that I think will be of interest. We can add them as needed.

Check em out here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 1T3c#gid=0
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 443)

Postby silentjim » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:50 pm

dasein wrote:I've added another column of FAs that I think will be of interest. We can add them as needed.

Check em out here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 1T3c#gid=0

Let's not add these guys until the grouping are 100% finished and ready to go. There's been a few requests to wait until Mid-October to bring more free agents into the pool, which I think is a good idea. I'd like to see everyone get their caps up to date, picks, rosters, etc since some teams will be down to the pennies and monitoring the cap will be crucial.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dasein » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:01 am

Ok, no worries. Although I think mid October is a bit much. It shouldn't take long to do all that stuff. If you can't work out your cap situation in half an hour I think something's wrong. ;-)
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby silentjim » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:06 am

dasein wrote:Ok, no worries. Although I think mid October is a bit much. It shouldn't take long to do all that stuff. If you can't work out your cap situation in half an hour I think something's wrong. ;-)

Had at least one guy who will be out of town until the 11th. ;-D
silentjim

Postby dasein » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:27 am

What, DR? That's no big deal. He can correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding was he is still able to check in within a 12hr period. It's not like he'll be on the moon. Not seeing a good reason for a big freeze here.

I'd think doing a stop-start thing is more likely to cause problems then anything else. People will get confused and miss auctions entirely.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby silentjim » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:43 am

dasein wrote:What, DR? That's no big deal. He can correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding was he is still able to check in within a 12hr period. It's not like he'll be on the moon. Not seeing a good reason for a big freeze here.

I'd think doing a stop-start thing is more likely to cause problems then anything else. People will get confused and miss auctions entirely.

I don't think there's any need to hurry up and then slow down, so waiting for someone like we originally did in the first place should be ok.
silentjim

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap