2013-2014 Season Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Season Discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Season Discussion

Postby dasein » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:48 am

What I'm questioning is whether there really is a need to wait for someone.

Of course it would be ok, the sun will still come up and all that. But if there's no need, why do it.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:57 am

dasein wrote:What I'm questioning is whether there really is a need to wait for someone.

Of course it would be ok, the sun will still come up and all that. But if there's no need, why do it.

He asked if we could. :-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby Da Ruhl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:22 am

I did.

It's not the end of the world either way, but from 10/2-10/10 I'll be flying NYC->London->Dubai->London->NYC (blech!) with full day meetings 3+ days, so... it'd be nice if we can wait a bit, or maybe make the timing a bit more relaxed for a bit (like 24 hrs or something for the extra auctions).

That said, my team is pretty full and I've been the slowest bidder, so I'm ok with whatever y'all decide. I should in theory have internet access via laptop + wifi, but... who knows.

Thanks!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 153)

Postby So-Tex » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:59 pm

The way I see it, we should continue on with the auction process for the next group of players as they come up. I really don't think anyone needs that much time to update rosters and salaries and such. Even those who are maintaining the league pages seem to be keeping them pretty current. If the pace was too much for them, I'm sure they would have said something by now.

I would suggest DR look through the list of upcoming players, and if there's anyone he wants to try and bid for, he can simply forward instructions to another manager to bid on his behalf, preferably someone who has little cap space remaining, or someone who won't be targeting that player (or players). There might be one or two guys on that list that everyone would want, but I'm sure DR could find a manager who wouldn't be able to bid on those players simply because they no longer have enough funds. And it's as simple as posting "On behalf of Da Ruhl...[bid]".

I mean, the only other alternative I would be satisfied with would be going to a 24hr clock, as DR himself mentioned. At least then, we could keep the auctions going, and still give DR a fighting chance to get internet access and place a bid or two.

Otherwise, stopping the auctions completely makes no sense to me. And honestly, you do it once, then you have to do if for everybody. "Hey, I can't do league business this week, I'm going on a family vacation", or "Hey, I'll be taking the weekend off to work at a charity event...can you suspend all the auctions until I get back?" I'm not trying to single DR, or anyone else, out - but it's a dangerous precedent to set, once we start doing stuff like this. As it is, we're already "bending" the rules to accommodate the newbie's inexperience in league bidding and such. And we've already stalled league business once before this season because of someone's travel time. It just so happened to be convenient that the timing worked out perfect. But what if it had been three weeks later? Or worse yet, coming up here in October?

And the more scarier question should be what's next for us to break or bend? Oh, someone "accidentally" went over the hard cap, but we're going to just ignore it, fix it, and let it slide this time?

Oh wait, that's happened too, right? }:-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby silentjim » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:25 pm

To be honest I'm not sure how we ever got to a 12 hour time limit. I was fairly certain it was 24 hours before.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scully19 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:31 pm

silentjim wrote:To be honest I'm not sure how we ever got to a 12 hour time limit. I was fairly certain it was 24 hours before.

Me too.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 198)

Postby silentjim » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:53 pm

scully19 wrote:
silentjim wrote:To be honest I'm not sure how we ever got to a 12 hour time limit. I was fairly certain it was 24 hours before.

Me too.

I saw some discussion on it in 2011 being 12 hours (which I don't remember to be honest), but then 24 hour discussion before that. Not that it matters, it's just confusing me for some reason.
silentjim

Postby Da Ruhl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Thought about it some more.

It'd be nice if we could do a slower time limit for the extras like 18 or 24 hrs - between the 12 hrs for these hours and the 48 hours in season I guess.

That said, given where my team is, if I miss a few people (which I probably will with 12 hrs), I can deal with it.

So I appreciate the consideration, would prefer a big longer time limit for these, but understand that argument of not holding off (again) and can roll along with it no matter what is decided.

Thanks!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 153)

Postby silentjim » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm cool with whatever, so obviously its up to everyone else.
silentjim

Postby dasein » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Yo, how long was the cafe down yesterday? Worth extending all auctions to 24hrs like last time?

It appears I've lost the auction on KG even though I thought I had made a bid last night. Must have happened at the same time the cafe crashed because now I see the bid never registered.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap