2013-2014 Season Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Season Discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Season Discussion

Postby silentjim » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:59 pm

Can we straight buy out contracts in future years at any time? I don't see why not, I'm just not sure its ever been done before. I have Elton Brand for 1.63M next season waived, but have the cap spaced this season to buy him totally out? Can I just do that?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 726)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby So-Tex » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:28 pm

silentjim wrote:Can we straight buy out contracts in future years at any time? I don't see why not, I'm just not sure its ever been done before. I have Elton Brand for 1.63M next season waived, but have the cap spaced this season to buy him totally out? Can I just do that?

From what I've been told, yes you can. I just did it last week with Steve Nash.

As long as our season is still playing out, you can do whatever you need to clean house. That's the way I've always understood it. In fact, I've always understood it that as long as the NBA regular season is in effect, you can make any moves you need to and have them count for this season...although, that may need some clarification.

But I know for a fact as long as people are still playing games (i.e. playoffs), you can make any moves you need and they'll count for this year. ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 215)

Postby scully19 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:48 pm

I believe he means he was waived previously and has the cost against his cap next year but the player is not on his roster anymore.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 200)

Postby silentjim » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:55 pm

scully19 wrote:I believe he means he was waived previously and has the cost against his cap next year but the player is not on his roster anymore.

Yeah exactly. ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Da Ruhl » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:08 pm

This is just my opinion, and I agree the rules are not 100% clear on this, but I believe buyouts should have to be done at the time the player is waived. This is because you then have to carry the buyout cost against your payroll for the remainder of the season.

Otherwise, one would always choose to waive (not buyout) a multiseason contract intra-season and then decide whether to restructure into a buyout at the end of season - there would never be an incentive to buyout up front.

Even worse, you could waive a multiseason contract early in the season, and then near the end of the season, waive all your expiring contracts and use the space created by that (25% of the value of each waived deal) to transform the waiver of the multiseason contract into a buyout - essentially letting you transform a waiver to a buyout "for free".

So I think the waiver/buyout decision needs to be made at the time the player is released to avoid the potential for it to be overpowered/exploited.

Just my 2c.

-DR

PS I do think late season buyouts may be a bit exploitable anyways and, while I don't think it is fair to change the rule in-season, think we should take a look at it in the off-season.
Last edited by Da Ruhl on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 165)

Postby So-Tex » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:34 pm

silentjim wrote:
scully19 wrote:I believe he means he was waived previously and has the cost against his cap next year but the player is not on his roster anymore.

Yeah exactly. ;-D

Ahhh, gotcha. Now it would make more sense why you were asking.

Yeah, if you've already waived a player, it's done, you can't go back and restructure the buyout.

And I agree with DR on that point...the buyout decision should at least be made at the time of wavier. It's either one of the other. That was part of the reason for me taking on Nash's contract in that last trade I made with dasein. The idea was I would buyout Nash and get that cap space freed up for next season.

I, personally, am OK with late-season buyouts. But that's something we can discuss in the off-season if need be.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 215)

Postby dasein » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:52 am

Yeah, I think DR is right. Doing the type of thing Jim is proposing feels like an exploit.

Also agree that we should consider some kind of buyout deadline/roster lock prior to our playoffs. Whether or not this should be the same as our trade deadline, I'm not sure.

While I'm here, I also think that the minimum contract is too low currently, especially in relation to rookie contracts. I'd like to propose increasing the minimum to 0.5M (in line with 2nd round picks) from next season.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 430)

Postby silentjim » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:53 am

That makes sense. Thanks guys.
silentjim

Postby scully19 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:01 pm

I'm not entirely against waiving/buyouts at the end of the year. I have guys on my team that I was considering waiving at the end of the year, but if I hold onto him until the offseason I can then waive him for 25% next year instead of 50%. This saves me more money next year by holding onto to them longer. I like the penalties we have set up right now, and think that we don't want to penalize TOO much people for unwanted contracts, so that they will get some punishment for signing a player, but their team is not ruined for the next couple years and would take a long time to rebuild.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 200)

Postby capoltorta » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Sorry, I'm not following this debate too well, how much would it cost me to buy out LMA and Paul George's remaining 150M? :-D
capoltorta
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 174)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap