2013-2014 Season Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Season Discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Season Discussion

Postby scully19 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:18 pm

I'm aware that you are kidding, but to illustrate my point:

If you did it NOW, it would be 75% this year, and 50% every year after that.
If you waited until the offseason, it would be 50% next year, and 25% for the final 2 years.

It would make more sense to wait to the offseason to get rid of a player like that than to do it during the season in a attempt to buyout early and use your remaining cap. Not many people have any remaining cap space, but if you do I think personally that it should be ok for you to use it now.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dasein » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:13 am

scully19 wrote:I'm not entirely against waiving/buyouts at the end of the year. I have guys on my team that I was considering waiving at the end of the year, but if I hold onto him until the offseason I can then waive him for 25% next year instead of 50%. This saves me more money next year by holding onto to them longer. I like the penalties we have set up right now, and think that we don't want to penalize TOO much people for unwanted contracts, so that they will get some punishment for signing a player, but their team is not ruined for the next couple years and would take a long time to rebuild.

Not sure what you're saying here. If you were to buy them out now, you'd have nothing on the books for next year. If you were to wait for the offseason, you would. Assuming you can, it would always be more beneficial to do an in-season buyout.

There does seem something fishy about doing buyouts after your season has ended. I'm not 100% convinced that it's a big deal, but think it would be worth having a discussion about a transaction deadline.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 443)

Postby Da Ruhl » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:51 am

I sort of agree w/dasein re: late season buyouts, but we'll see how people feel in the offseason. Perhaps some late season buyouts this year will change folks' minds (or not).

As a side note, in addition to the min bid, I think we should take another look at the min bid increment. It should be set at a level where people don't get snippity if you raise the bid by the minimum...

Thanks!!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 157)

Postby scully19 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:50 pm

I just meant it is another form of planning. I DON'T have room, which is why I was outlining this seperate planning and saying that i like the options as a strategy if one can afford it. Honestly I think if anyone still has a bunch of cap space at the end of the year they likely didn't have a super great year, and I wouldn't exactly want to keep them from any plans that may help them rebuild (seeing as how it is a minor plan to rid themselves of a few million dollars on the books next year).
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scully19 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:40 pm

I mean no disrespect as the two guys playing have done a good job putting their team together, but if anyone had any doubt left about increasing the cap limit need not look any further than the 2 guys in the finals.

Also, I can't remember if it was discussed, but if players do go over 30M in the first year, are we going to drop the length of the contract down to 3 years as we did in the opening season or keep it at 4?
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dasein » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:43 am

scully19 wrote:I mean no disrespect as the two guys playing have done a good job putting their team together, but if anyone had any doubt left about increasing the cap limit need not look any further than the 2 guys in the finals.

Also, I can't remember if it was discussed, but if players do go over 30M in the first year, are we going to drop the length of the contract down to 3 years as we did in the opening season or keep it at 4?

I don't think that was discussed. I think I'd be hesitant to do anything that tacitly approves going over 30M a year. Maybe it's justified for all time great fantasy players, but it certainly isn't something that should be happening enough to warrant a special rule.

I'm pretty gutted about loosing that semi-final by the way. I was watching the last couple of games on Sunday, where I had a bunch of my guys playing. I pretty much just needed to win 3s, and we were even at half time of the Por/Mem and LAL/Pho games. So I had a whole half to go with Batum, Frye, Gerald Green, Felton, Markieff. DC only had Dragic in play by that point, and he isn't really a big 3PM guy. What happens? Dragic hits 2 and I only get 1 from the rest of those guys combined. I only got 4 3s that day from a lineup that averages 7.5. I also lost pts by 9 or something, and ast by 3. Good times. :~(
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 443)

Postby Da Ruhl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:13 am

Agree w/dasein re: no special 30M rule.

It is interesting that the top 2 teams were KD and LBJ, but to be fair both managers did a lot right. And, while KD at $20 was a truly exceptional value LBJ at $20 was quite good but not necessarily more so than a handful of other players.

Just my 2c...

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby Da Ruhl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:12 pm

Congrats to TheRobSays on winning the championship!

Reasonably pleased with my first year in the league. Finished 3 spots higher (5th vs. 8th) vs. last year's team - the right direction although not anything like Cap's meteoric improvement! Was hoping to at least make the 2nd round, but got steamrolled in the first by The RobSays (watching him steamroll DC made me feel better!)

Meanwhile I still have all my draft picks going forward. My team entering next year is:

Marc Gasol (PG 10)
Mario Chalmers (PG 2.8)
Marcin Gortat (6.25 / PG 6.25)

A bit bare-bones, but last year I came in carrying Darren Collison (5), Manu Ginobili (7.5), Brandon Jennings (10, 10), and Kendall Marshall (1.5, TO 2) so I feel like I'm entering with a better team than last year (although last year I also carried in Kevin Martin (4.5), Bayless (0.75) and Marc Gasol (10, 10) so there are puts and takes).

Meanwhile hopefully I have the discipline to do less leagues next year (not thinking of cutting this one though!) and am not such a noob during the draft process... :-)

Thanks all for a good year!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby capoltorta » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:01 pm

Congrats Rob, and thanks everyone for making this such a competitive league, glad to be a part of it. Let the offseason begin!

Here's a few ideas I had that may or may not be plausible:

1. Cap hold trading, as previously discussed. I think the majority of us are fine with this rule change, so I personally would love to see it implemented next year.
2. Contract extensions. Just an idea, but how about giving teams the option to extend players in the last year of their contract? The way I see it working is, you would be able to re-sign a player at 2.5x their salary per year for up to 3 years, or something along those lines. For example, when MCW is expiring in 2015 at 3M I would have the option to re-sign him at 7.5M x 3 years if I wanted (or the equivalent of 22.5M over 1 or 2 years), otherwise he becomes a restricted FA as normal. Of course this isn't plausible for the more expensive players which mimics the real NBA anyway. The reason I like this idea is because I think if you draft a player, or win him in an auction, you should be able to retain his rights longer than 4 years with this being a dynasty league and all. As it stands what do you get for finding bargains in the draft or through FA? The ability to match someone else's bid, that's it. There's no loyalty.
capoltorta
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 169)

Postby scully19 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:13 pm

1. If you mean trading away waived contracts I'm in.

2. Nope, not a chance.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap