2013-2014 Season Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Season Discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Season Discussion

Postby So-Tex » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:58 am

Yeah it's a calculated gamble on both sides. I really do like Parker as a PG1 this season, and not because I'm a Spurs homer. And he should be fantastic value at that price. But I just couldn't pass on a potential top five like Westbrook.

I feel honestly feel the x-factor here for me is of all people, Dwight Howard. The way I see this move working is one of two:

1. I get Westbrook, get stuck with Howard, and hope he goes bonkers in H-town. Which means I'd be set up solid at those two positions.

or 2. I get Westbrook, move Howard for cap relief, then go bonkers in free agency to replace the big man stats.

In each scenario, going bonkers is a big deal...I'd just have to hope that the worst case doesn't happen. The one where D12 pulls another disappearing act. :-o

But needless to say, it's going to be a very interesting and fun season! :-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby hi chi » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Wow!! Monster trade!! Love it!!
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 129)

Postby Da Ruhl » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:44 pm

All,

Two quick questions - sorry if these have been asked before.

a) For partially guaranteed buyouts and team options, the "offseason" lasts until the first game of the regular season tips off? I see this noted explicitly in the rules for TO's, wondering if it is the same for buyouts.

b) If you have a second rounder who an international player that you buy out during the season to clear his roster spot, is the cost 75% * $0.5M (assumes further TO years would be declined so are not included) or is it 75% * $0M (since he is not costing you anything) or something else entirely?

Thanks and sorry for the questions!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 152)

Postby silentjim » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Da Ruhl wrote:All,

Two quick questions - sorry if these have been asked before.

a) For partially guaranteed buyouts and team options, the "offseason" lasts until the first game of the regular season tips off? I see this noted explicitly in the rules for TO's, wondering if it is the same for buyouts.

b) If you have a second rounder who an international player that you buy out during the season to clear his roster spot, is the cost 75% * $0.5M (assumes further TO years would be declined so are not included) or is it 75% * $0M (since he is not costing you anything) or something else entirely?

Thanks and sorry for the questions!

-DR

a) yes
b) I don't think we have a definitive answer on this to be honest. I always assumed that you would pay 75% of his salary though, otherwise there would be no difference between the regular season and off season. However, you'd never have actually paid his salary in the first place, which means technically speaking if you were close to the cap or at it, you'd have to potentially waive a second player to create enough cap space to pay for a player that wasn't on the books in the first place. Hmmm. I don't want to say you should be forced to keep an international player on your roster until the off season, but I'm kind of thinking that would be the simplest solution. I think 75% times zero salary is also easy, but just seems to skirt the entire issue in the first place.

Open to discussion obviously, since I have no idea.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby nsink » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:04 am

.75 times 0 works for me.
Being forced to use a roster spot on a guy cause you'd have to drop someone else to be able to afford a waived salary doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)

Postby capoltorta » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:53 pm

Hey guys, now that we're almost done the rookie draft, and I believe the free agent auctions will he starting soon, is it possible we could all get together in a chat room tonight and talk about the rule changes, etc? I am still a little confused as to how these auctuons work so I would really appreciate it if one of you, or some of you could answer some questions I have. I will be in the Basketball Monster chat room at 8:00pm EST tonight, so I hope some of you can make it.

Thanks,
Cap.
capoltorta
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 168)

Postby nykos » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:55 pm

2.am. not a good time for me.... :-D
as I said earlier, I'm leaving for Australia next friday ~10am ET US, till the 19th of September, so unless we freeze the auctions, it would be better waiting for the 19th, unless you don't want me ;-) I have a big week on a tradeshow from the 23rd till the 27th of sept, but I should be able to get online once /12h.
nykos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 206)

Postby So-Tex » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:12 pm

I might be able to jump in with you Cap...but I've got something scheduled for 7:30pm my time (which would be 8:30 Eastern). So I might not be able to be there too long.

But I'll see. If not, feel free to keep asking questions. We'll help as best we can! ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby nykos » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:15 pm

OK Guys, time to leave, so see you in ~4weeks.
I'll try catch a few hotspots to be updated on where the league stands, but I'll be back only on the 19th for the auctions.
nykos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 206)

Postby dasein » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:11 pm

nykos wrote:OK Guys, time to leave, so see you in ~4weeks.
I'll try catch a few hotspots to be updated on where the league stands, but I'll be back only on the 19th for the auctions.

Where you gonna be exactly? Will you have daily access? If so we could start before the 19th.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 431)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap