2013-2014 Season Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Season Discussion

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Season Discussion

Postby Da Ruhl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:59 pm

I'll admit I don't really like trading cap holds. My reasoning is that once you waive a player, he should stay waived, and it feels a bit like an undo button on the waiver (i.e. undoing and trading the player and the the new manager waives). I'd be more ok with just being able to trade cash for this season i.e. I give you a player and $5M of cash which would mean for this season only my cap goes down by 5 and yours goes up. I'm not going to push for it though and can really go either way on the whole thing, to be fair.

I would like to see something stronger with free agent preference, but I do feel like we (I) beat that to death last offseason! :-)

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby capoltorta » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:27 pm

I don't see it that way at all DR. If you waive a player there is a penalty for it. If you trade that penalty it's not undoing the penalty, it's just transferring that penalty to another team at a cost. It's not as though these cap holds don't have a negative value associated with them. If I want to trade a cap hold I have to make it worthwhile for the other team taking it on by including another player or draft pick so it's not like you are getting relief for nothing. Also, I don't like the idea of trading cash, then you are potentially allowing people to go above 75M. Everyone should have the same cap limit all the time.
capoltorta
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 194)

Postby dasein » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Well, the 75M limit is always there regardless of what you can trade, so going over wouldn't be an issue. I do think trading cap holds is much neater than cash though. I think there were a couple of other things we can vote on at the same time. Will go back through the threads to pull em out when I get some time.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 369)

Postby Da Ruhl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:05 pm

I see your point cap.

I guess what I mean is that right now, with a lousy contract, you have can either waive them or trade them, but you have to make the decision before you waive. With this suggestion, you don't. So it makes the decision to waive easier, which feels off to me.

Still, I don't feel that passionately about it, so whatever gets decided is A ok by me.

Good season y'all!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 144)

Postby scully19 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:59 pm

Ya this has nothing to do with going over the cap, you won't be able to do that regardless, it's freeing up more space under the cap limit to spend. Cash trades = NO, waiver trades = Yes. To me anyways. Cash trades are going to be hard to follow around. Moving the cap hold from a waived player is extremely easy.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 187)

Postby silentjim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:54 am

scully19 wrote:Ya this has nothing to do with going over the cap, you won't be able to do that regardless, it's freeing up more space under the cap limit to spend. Cash trades = NO, waiver trades = Yes. To me anyways. Cash trades are going to be hard to follow around. Moving the cap hold from a waived player is extremely easy.

;-D Agreed.

Since you can't go over 75M, there's not point in doing cash over the waived player since it's essentially the exact same thing, but moving a waived player from one team to another should be much easier on the spreadsheet.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 565)

Postby scully19 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:35 am

It involves going into one tab and changing a team name to another one. It's actually easier than signing a new player to a team. Only have to change one thing, and the list of players is much smaller.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 187)

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:28 am

I think the deadline for in season buyouts should be either the trade deadline or the end of the regular season. Also, the likelihood of many full buyouts in one season is rare, as few teams have that kind of cap space mid season to absorb that much salary. Nykos did because of his team construction.

I'm fine with the idea of trading waived player contracts for future seasons, and increasing the minimum contract to at least 500K a year.

As for the idea of contract extensions, no. If you draft a lot of highly touted rookies and they pan out, you either clear the cap space to keep them, or you keep some and trade others for cheaper talents. It prevents people from having stacked teams forever and players from not getting their true market value.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby capoltorta » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:31 pm

I dont see why we should prevent teams who draft well from having stacked teams, isnt that the whole point of a dynasty league, to draft well, keep the players you acquire, and develop young talent? Why should we be forced to trade our young players for cheaper players, that defeats the whole purpose of drafting well. And there are ways around preventing players from getting their true market value, like increasing their base salary by x2.5 or x3 or something. I just think 4 years is too short a term to own the rights to a player outright. In the NBA teams have advantages to extending rookie contracts to 6-7 years, then they become FA and get big paydays if they earned it.
capoltorta
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 194)

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:18 pm

capoltorta wrote:I dont see why we should prevent teams who draft well from having stacked teams, isnt that the whole point of a dynasty league, to draft well, keep the players you acquire, and develop young talent? Why should we be forced to trade our young players for cheaper players, that defeats the whole purpose of drafting well. And there are ways around preventing players from getting their true market value, like increasing their base salary by x2.5 or x3 or something. I just think 4 years is too short a term to own the rights to a player outright. In the NBA teams have advantages to extending rookie contracts to 6-7 years, then they become FA and get big paydays if they earned it.

I agree with this. And the young players (albeit in a different sport but this is especially true in MLB) are apt to sign those deals due to injury concerns. Take the guaranteed $ and then set yourself up for a huge payday down the road. I think X3 their base salary is a sizeable contract extension and the players would (in "real life") take that deal.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap