2013-2014 Season Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Season Discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Season Discussion

Postby silentjim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:17 pm

For the record this league is called the Fantasy Basketball Cafe Salary Cap League and though we can get into an argument about salary cap vs auction and go on forever I do believe this league is technically more salary cap based than an actual auction league, but as I said I'm not sure it's worth arguing.

I think we can definitely explore options about lengthening rookie deals and so forth. Not sure we can come to a consensus, but as myself and others have mentioned in the past when you look at the rookie scale, there are really only a handful of players that make sense or turn the corner fast, that you can not only pay that kind of money to, but also afford to wait that long on them. A huge chunk of of guys you might as well not draft and just position yourself later to scoop them up in free agency when they actually develop into NBA material (and you could possibly pay them less).
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 733)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby scully19 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:48 pm

For that reason I am open to, and in fact in favor of, extended the rookie scale contract another year (both years team options), but absolutely against any more of an advantage towards resigning players than the RFA.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby dasein » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:46 pm

scully19 wrote:For that reason I am open to, and in fact in favor of, extended the rookie scale contract another year (both years team options), but absolutely against any more of an advantage towards resigning players than the RFA.

Yeah, this is pretty much my feeling as well.

Also, thinking a bit more about the extension thing, you could argue that the way we do it now (with RFAs) pretty much gives the same result as extensions in real life. In our case, the league acts as agent/negotiator. It decides the market value is, or what the player is willing to accept, and the team then decides if it's willing to pay what the player wants. If not, then another team was going to end up with the player once he became a FA anyways. Our method just speeds up the process a bit.

I also agree with jim that arguing tamate-o/toe-marto is pointless. I also disagree with hichi that this is a glorified auction league. I play all sorts of configurations and nothing feels remotely close to the SCL. It really is quite unique and special IMO.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 439)

Postby silentjim » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Keep in mind too that we decided to do all of the RFA auctions first next season since that was kind of a major cluster...
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 733)

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:39 am

scully19 wrote:For that reason I am open to, and in fact in favor of, extended the rookie scale contract another year (both years team options), but absolutely against any more of an advantage towards resigning players than the RFA.

Fair compromise ;-D
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 141)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scully19 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Well there is a downside to that as well, as it is possible this would increase the size of their second contract they receive that you would have to match in order to keep them.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dasein » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:12 pm

scully19 wrote:Well there is a downside to that as well, as it is possible this would increase the size of their second contract they receive that you would have to match in order to keep them.

Yup. Would I have locked wall up for 14m per if he had a been a FA this coming offseason? On the other hand, I woulda had an extra season of the rookie salary so....
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 439)

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:09 am

It could also decrease it too. Rather know player is under contract for reasonable rate for extra year and then take risk in RFA the next.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scully19 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm not against the idea, like i said I'm for it. Just wanted to point out that this isn't without it's problems as well.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun May 04, 2014 2:17 am

What does everyone think of conducting lottery? :-D
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain