2013-2014 Season Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2013-2014 Season Discussion

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2013-2014 Season Discussion

Postby dasein » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:50 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Not a big fan of the new bird rights rule. Essentially, every FA is now a restricted FA since you have the ability to match if you hold their bird rights. Something to discuss next off-season. Also would like to discuss having the ability to cut a 2nd round pick in-season with no cap penalty.

That's wrong. Bird rights are not the same as RFA at all. In the former you still have to participate in the auction. In the latter you can just sit back, wait for it to close, and then match.

Dropping 2nd rounders without penalty isn't going to fly either. Too inconsistent with the other rules.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby So-Tex » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:38 am

dasein wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Not a big fan of the new bird rights rule. Essentially, every FA is now a restricted FA since you have the ability to match if you hold their bird rights. Something to discuss next off-season. Also would like to discuss having the ability to cut a 2nd round pick in-season with no cap penalty.

That's wrong. Bird rights are not the same as RFA at all. In the former you still have to participate in the auction. In the latter you can just sit back, wait for it to close, and then match.

Dropping 2nd rounders without penalty isn't going to fly either. Too inconsistent with the other rules.

I agree that the Bird's Rights work better for me now...at least I have an idea if a manager is going to match a bid on a player, then I can go in and re-bid higher if I choose. I like that.

I'm even thinking RFA's should do something similar. I'm not saying we should just give it the same weight, because I do get why they're written the way they are...so we can at least have a fair shot at keeping our own rookies.

But I don't think it's very fair, bordering on a complete waste of time, when an auction can happen over a period of 24 to 48 hrs, then all of a sudden, when it's all over, the original owner can just come in and say "match" and get that player back just like that. As a bidding owner, it would make me feel like it's complete waste of my time and effort. Just to drive the price up on a guy to set his 4th year "market value"?

When I'm tying up potential money in an auction, I need to know I've got a chance to legitimately win it. If the auction ends, and all of a sudden the original owner comes in and says "match", and I have no chance to counter, then I might as well have not bothered because I could have used that money elsewhere in other auctions.

If anything, maybe we need to re-visit how the auction process is set up in tiers. Maybe RFAs go first, with no other auctions taking place at the same time. Or maybe they go last, again with no other auctions taking place. If all it's going to really do is set market value of a player (which would be the case if the original owner decides to "match and win"), then in my opinion, it should happen separately from the rest of the auctions, where I won't be worrying about losing some other auction because I've got money tied up in one where the original owner will simply beat me without even trying.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 181)

Postby dasein » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:49 am

There has been talking of doing the RFA auctions first. Something we could try next year.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Da Ruhl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:52 am

To be honest, I still think Bird rights are pretty underpowered.

That said, my view would change if we see a number of auctions won using them. So far, none have been (best I can tell - possible I missed one). That tends to mean (in how I think of them, anyways) that they are not giving the previous owner as much of an edge as I would like.

Would change my mind if we see them play more of a role going forward. And, nothing to be done until next season in any case.

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 145)

Postby dasein » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:58 am

Yup, you missed one. Rose was won with a match. I can tell you I came pretty close to keeping Horford with a match too, but moneybags hichi pushed it a smidge too rich for my liking.

I think it's working fine.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby So-Tex » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:12 am

dasein wrote:Yup, you missed one. Rose was won with a match. I can tell you I came pretty close to keeping Horford with a match too, but moneybags hichi pushed it a smidge too rich for my liking.

I agree...seeing that the previous owner is interested in matching that amount makes perfect sense to me, and allows me to up the amount, as hi chi did in the Horford auction. I can live with losing an auction that way.

But yes, we do need to address the RFA issue. And I realize it's probably too late for this season, but I feel it's going to create an issue here pretty soon...hopefully not...but it still concerns me. :-o
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hi chi » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:55 pm

dasein wrote:Yup, you missed one. Rose was won with a match. I can tell you I came pretty close to keeping Horford with a match too, but moneybags hichi pushed it a smidge too rich for my liking.

LOL, that was an interesting auction. It's strange being able to go and get players I want...never had that in this league. I may have gotten a little carried away with having money in the Horford auction, but hopefully he returns that value. :-o

Having been in a few bids where bird rights were in play (Rose, Horford, McGee), I think that they give just the right amount of advantage to the holder of the bird rights. Seeing the last bid and being able to choose if you want to match seems like the slight advantage it should be without being over powering. If you want to hold on to a player it allows you to absolutly hold them and it also allows you to judge at exactly what cost you want to keep a player.

Having RFAs go first sounds like a good idea.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 131)

Re: Danny Granger

Postby scully19 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Aren't these auctions lasting 12h?

If so I won Danny already.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 189)

Postby scully19 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Tried to look back but couldn't see it officially written somewhere.

Are these auctions lasting 12H or 24H without a bid for someone to win?
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 189)

Postby So-Tex » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:17 pm

scully19 wrote:Tried to look back but couldn't see it officially written somewhere.

Are these auctions lasting 12H or 24H without a bid for someone to win?

It's 12H right now...during the season, it would be 48H.

4.2 FREE AGENCY

Free agency is run as a series of auctions, where managers bid contracts, which must adhere to the Veteran Contract rules. Free agents may be acquired during the preseason and playing season- the process is essentially the same.

First, a FA must be nominated for auction. This may be done by an individual manager (during the season) or as part of a structured auction schedule (for the pre season auctions). Each auction takes place in the FC forum, with a different thread devoted to each player.

Managers then make bids that satisfy the following criteria:

- Veteran Contract rules

- Available cap space of the manager

- The bid is greater or equal to the minimum bid increment

An auction is won when a set number of hours pass without a higher bid being registered. The official time is the date stamp on the forum post. During the preseason, 12 hours are required to win an auction. During the season, 48 hours are required.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap