Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2013 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:43 pm

jphanned wrote:
dcdoorknob wrote:Unless someone surprises me at 4th or 5th, I have no idea whatsoever to do with the 6th pick. :-o

This pretty much applies to every pick past 5. Picking at 11 with Buser sniping at the turn is gonna be so much fun. %-6

Hell, better a mock than say the Battle of the Sports Forums (which btw, Matt, we should be reaching out to everyone in the near future - especially considering we've got a new forum in the fray this year?) :-b
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Just a heads up, but I'll be out of town tonight and this upcoming weekend visiting my fiancee. I'll either send a list for my mock picks and handle write ups when I get back monday or try to post from my iphone during these times if my pick arises(internet access where she currently lives is very spotty).
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 163)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:27 am

Thanks for the gift guys! ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 726)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:09 am

Just a friendly reminder, don't forget to PM the guy behind you. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)

Postby mbuser » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:46 am

RedHopeful wrote:Hell, better a mock than say the Battle of the Sports Forums (which btw, Matt, we should be reaching out to everyone in the near future - especially considering we've got a new forum in the fray this year?) :-b

Oh yeah, I forgot about the whole "winners host" thing. I guess we do need to roll that out..
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 13)

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Anthony Davis is an odd pick. He doesn't strike me as a sexy pick, but it's hard to argue that if healthy his floor is still high and his ceiling even higher. I'll be curious where his ADP is moving forward.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:40 pm

silentjim wrote:Anthony Davis is an odd pick. He doesn't strike me as a sexy pick, but it's hard to argue that if healthy his floor is still high and his ceiling even higher. I'll be curious where his ADP is moving forward.

Probably a round lower than this I'd imagine, at least. I was actually a little shocked when I saw the pick, but once you dig into his numbers you can't really argue too much with it, even at the 1-2 turn. Davis is consistently the outlier when you look at the top of the rankings, at least as far as being the lowest minutes per game and total over that two month span while still ranking out in the top 24. Ibaka's the closest in that regard, but he doesn't have anything like Davis' ceiling. In darkest Peru they call that upside. ;-D

I still don't think I'd draft him quite this high though. There are still a small handful of players I like more for the upcoming season.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby dcdoorknob » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:49 pm

I did think it was a bit odd that Phan mentioned 3 or 4 players for his 1.11 pick (not Davis) that were still there at 2.2 and then passed them over for Davis.

That said, I don't think it's a bad pick really. A couple of guys I'd still take over him at 2.02 but I do think Davis is a mid-2nd round pick at worst. If he was still there at 2.07 theres a very good chance I would have picked him there.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 120)

Postby jphanned » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:34 pm

dcdoorknob wrote:I did think it was a bit odd that Phan mentioned 3 or 4 players for his 1.11 pick (not Davis) that were still there at 2.2 and then passed them over for Davis.

That said, I don't think it's a bad pick really. A couple of guys I'd still take over him at 2.02 but I do think Davis is a mid-2nd round pick at worst. If he was still there at 2.07 theres a very good chance I would have picked him there.

Admittedly, while I do have a general idea of where I'd range players at this point, I'm doing this on the fly mostly (as I'm sure we all are). I didn't even entertain the idea of picking Davis until about 10 minutes before I made it. Went through the short list of names (Horford, Wade, George, Ibaka) and no one really stood out to me. So I picked the guy I wanted instead, and the one that offered me a shot to win the league. Buser and I discussed this at length in the BBM pod already, but our teams are already at a huge disadvantage to Phil's Durant team. I take Horford here and no one raises an eyebrow, but I have a hard time seeing a Aldridge/Horford duo legitimately challenging a Durant team unless Phil screws up big time - which, knowing him, won't happen. Davis at least gives me the type of ceiling I need to make a run at overtaking him.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 402)

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:39 pm

jphanned wrote:
dcdoorknob wrote:I did think it was a bit odd that Phan mentioned 3 or 4 players for his 1.11 pick (not Davis) that were still there at 2.2 and then passed them over for Davis.

Admittedly, while I do have a general idea of where I'd range players at this point, I'm doing this on the fly mostly (as I'm sure we all are). I didn't even entertain the idea of picking Davis until about 10 minutes before I made it. Went through the short list of names (Horford, Wade, George, Ibaka) and no one really stood out to me. So I picked the guy I wanted instead, and the one that offered me a shot to win the league. Buser and I discussed this at length in the BBM pod already, but our teams are already at a huge disadvantage to Phil's Durant team. I take Horford here and no one raises an eyebrow, but I have a hard time seeing a Aldridge/Horford duo legitimately challenging a Durant team unless Phil screws up big time - which, knowing him, won't happen. Davis at least gives me the type of ceiling I need to make a run at overtaking him.

One pick in and Phil is dominating already? What are the rest of us? Chopped Liver? :-D
silentjim

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Mock Draft