Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2013 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby jay_00 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:34 pm

I totally forgot Dudley was on the Clippers. I like that pick a lot now.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 44)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dcdoorknob » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Dudley was a solid pick, but I do think the presence of Barnes will limit him a bit. Barnes played very well for the Clipps last year, and I think it's more of a timeshare at SF than clear shot at big minutes for Dudley. Maybe one plays PF some to open up a bit more time, but I still am not sure Dudley tops 30mpg.

Like the Brandan Wright pick. Almost picked him at my last pick and was hoping he'd swing back around.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby silentjim » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:46 pm

Oh man! Nice picks on Wallace and Bargs. Had my eye on both for quite some time.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

Postby plonden » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:40 am

silentjim wrote:Oh man! Nice picks on Wallace and Bargs. Had my eye on both for quite some time.

I've been thinking about both these guys for a while as well. I'm definitely happy with them here. I'd even be satisfied if only one of these two guys works out.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 52)

Postby plonden » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:05 pm

I really like the Bradley pick. He was the only other guy I was considering at the turn. He is going to get a lot of minutes up front with Rondo missing the first x number of games. I also think he might be one of those guys who provides very good value relative to his ADP.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bokzg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:25 am

I like the Lamb pick, and think that he should have gone earlier than he did. I have a feeling that OKC is going to make some effort to try to lessen the workload a bit on their stars this season after having experienced their first glimpse of their vulnerability to injury in the playoffs with Westbrook. It's well-known that the Thunder are going to need to make up for the loss of KMart, and Jackson and Lamb appear the most likely to do it for them. I see Lamb getting every chance to become a major contributor simply because the Thunder need him to.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 68)

Postby bujfan2030 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:21 am

For Silent Jim:
In your search for value, you seem to be courting quite a bit of injury risk. Would you willingly take on as much in your regular leagues?
Also was wondering if anyone else was considering Bynum about the same time as Jim. Just wondering if this pick approximates his ADP? ;-D
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:26 am

For my part I won't be drafting Bynum quite that high. There were a handful of bigs that went right after him, most of which I'd be happier owning (especially Valanciunas). My main issue is that we still don't actually know when Bynum is going to play and I can't get my head around drafting a guy like that in the 40's, especially with Bynum's injury history. That said, if I had a team that needed a home run I might start thinking about him quite hard starting in the late 50's early 60's, but even that is more of a special case than where I'm actually happy taking him.

Now I'll let Jim answer the question specifically addresses to him. O:-)
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby plonden » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:45 am

Was hoping to pick Frye with the last pick in the draft. Nice one.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

Postby silentjim » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:46 am

I probably won't load up on so many injury risks or injured players in real leagues (Bynum, Gordon, Varejao, Gallo), but Bynum is a player that I'd be willing to reach on quite a bit.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but:

Bynum was unranked last season, 12th in 2011-2012, 54th in 2010-2011, 46th in 2009-2010

And I took him at what? Pick 44 overall? I know his issues aren't so much skill as injury related, but talk to anyone who drafted Kevin Love last season. Injury's are just hard to predict. In Bynum's case I could simply say, he'll be the healthy he's ever been this season since he didn't play at all last season.

I actually just read this earlier today too:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... le-will-be

Everyone seems to think opening night is a legit possibility. But who knows.

Bynum also played on a team that never really had a legit PG. If you look at his shot selection from 2011-2012 only 10% were dunks. Dwight Howard last season was at 16% for reference. Realistically that means a higher FG% and easier baskets than he already produces.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Mock Draft