Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2013 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby barrec » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:21 pm

silentjim wrote:
jphanned wrote:
barrec wrote:6.03 Rajon Rondo (PG - BOS)

Surprised he is still here and this tells me I didn't need to grab Lillard earlier.

No real surprise considering he tore his ACL late-January, ACL recovery takes 9-12 months, and the Celtics have no reason to rush him back (Tankapalooza 2014). Wouldn't shock me if he misses more than a month of the regular season.

I was thinking the same thing. Probably someone I'm avoiding and letting someone else draft this season.

Fair point and there is absolutely legitimate concern, but all signs point to him returning by the start of the season. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised he wans't picked already in a FBB cafe mock draft, but I gotta guess the closer the season comes, the higher he will be valued, and the earlier he'll be drafted.

Following up on the chatter about Bynum I'd rather risk Rondo than Bynum. When in doubt I'd take track record if all else is equal (and obviously they aren't, given how different they are as players).
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Wait, so that's 3 Pelicans for Justin? 8-o

Guess he's finally warmed to a pro-New Orleans world... ;-7
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 603)

Postby jphanned » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:35 pm

barrec wrote:Following up on the chatter about Bynum I'd rather risk Rondo than Bynum. When in doubt I'd take track record if all else is equal (and obviously they aren't, given how different they are as players).

I'm not too fond of either, but there's a huge difference in their ceilings. Bynum posted near-first round value (13) in 2012; the best Rondo has ever done is early-fourth (37). The 2010 season was the only time in Rondo's seven-year career where he posted top-50 value.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 333)

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:36 pm

barrec wrote:
silentjim wrote:
jphanned wrote:
No real surprise considering he tore his ACL late-January, ACL recovery takes 9-12 months, and the Celtics have no reason to rush him back (Tankapalooza 2014). Wouldn't shock me if he misses more than a month of the regular season.

I was thinking the same thing. Probably someone I'm avoiding and letting someone else draft this season.

Fair point and there is absolutely legitimate concern, but all signs point to him returning by the start of the season. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised he wans't picked already in a FBB cafe mock draft, but I gotta guess the closer the season comes, the higher he will be valued, and the earlier he'll be drafted.

Following up on the chatter about Bynum I'd rather risk Rondo than Bynum. When in doubt I'd take track record if all else is equal (and obviously they aren't, given how different they are as players).

Track record? What track record??? :-D

Rondo was 55th per game last season, 96th in 2011-2012, 62nd in 2010-2011, 37th in 2009-2010.

Bynum was unranked last season, 12th in 2011-2012, 54th in 2010-2011, 46th in 2009-2010.

I do like what Rondo will be able to do in Boston when healthy, but I don't think his track record of poor FT%, high TOs, and lack of threes enable him to improve exponentially. Bynum on the other hand showed the ability to be a first round talent when healthy and was trending upwards in terms of efficiency and skill.

Aw crap. Justin types faster than me....
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 565)

Postby jphanned » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:05 pm

jphanned wrote:
barrec wrote:6.03 Rajon Rondo (PG - BOS)

Surprised he is still here and this tells me I didn't need to grab Lillard earlier.

That's why I passed on him in favor of Calderon.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:49 am

Apropos of nothing I traded Rondo for Melo in a keeper league last off season, and at the time felt really bad about it. Whoo-boy was I wrong. :-b

Back to the draft though - I doubt I'll draft either Bynum or Rondo this year. Maybe Bynum if he slips far enough, but with Rondo the injury risk is just too big - he may miss multiple months, and I just can't pull the trigger when the stats he does put up when he plays are so-so for roto. In a HtH league I'm all over a Rondo pick mind you, in the hopes that he'll be back and in hero mode for the HtH playoffs. On a stacked HtH team he's probably cash money this year.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby jphanned » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:02 am

Yeah I'm not one to be overly optimistic on the outlook of many Nets, but Pierce at 73 seems like really good value to me. No downside at all if you can get him here; top-55 to -60 upside.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

Postby jay_00 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:03 am

damn...I wouldve drafted Kanter had i remembered that he was still there
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 44)

Postby plonden » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:57 am

I like Kanter a lot this season as well. Nice pick. I was hoping to nab him later on myself. ;-D
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 52)

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Mock Draft