Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2013 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:09 pm

jphanned wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
silentjim wrote:I'm a big Jimmy Butler fan, but shocked to see him go before Luol Deng.

Better start getting used to it. :-b

In all seriousness, I just can't get behind a guy who hasn't fixed the tendon in his wrist. Absolutely don't want a guy at his position having such a negative effect on my FG%.

The reasons to like Butler over Deng are obvious, but none of that really matters if Deng continues to see 38 mpg while Butler is stuck in the high 20s to low 30s. I'd like Butler a lot more had Chicago not signed Dunleavy; by virtue of volume, I'd still give Deng the edge.

Exactly. Got to love the work ethic and heart from Butler and his improvements in weak areas, but he's still not playing his natural position and scoring will always be an issue for the Bulls. He should put up nice stats, but I think you're going to see Deng's per game and cumulative value higher just based on volume as Justin mentioned.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 727)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby plonden » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:34 am

From a value standpoint, I don't like the Knight pick but from a relative scarcity standpoint I understand the pick. There are few undrafted guys that can potentially provide six or more assists per game. Of those who have this potential, all have some pretty significant risks or defects that accompany the potential assists.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 77)

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:46 am

plonden wrote:From a value standpoint, I don't like the Knight pick but from a relative scarcity standpoint I understand the pick. There are few undrafted guys that can potentially provide six or more assists per game. Of those who have this potential, all have some pretty significant risks or defects that accompany the potential assists.

Everyone at this point has warts. Yes, Knight is a reach. But I didn't expect him to make it back to me in 16 picks and I don't see the line I posted as unreasonable. The bucks are seriously lacking scoring and he's not going to have an undefined role like he did in Detroit. This was more a need pick than a value pick, for sure.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 163)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:36 am

jphanned wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
silentjim wrote:I'm a big Jimmy Butler fan, but shocked to see him go before Luol Deng.

Better start getting used to it. :-b

In all seriousness, I just can't get behind a guy who hasn't fixed the tendon in his wrist. Absolutely don't want a guy at his position having such a negative effect on my FG%.

The reasons to like Butler over Deng are obvious, but none of that really matters if Deng continues to see 38 mpg while Butler is stuck in the high 20s to low 30s. I'd like Butler a lot more had Chicago not signed Dunleavy; by virtue of volume, I'd still give Deng the edge.

Lol, oh wow -- completely forgot about Dunleavy. Did I mention I love to do a mock or two before a real draft? :-B
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:50 am

RedHopeful wrote:
jphanned wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Better start getting used to it. :-b

Lol, oh wow -- completely forgot about Dunleavy. Did I mention I love to do a mock or two before a real draft? :-B

After having a chance to think about it, I'm not all that worried about Dunleavy -- he's barely played at SG the last several years. Deng certainly isn't going to garner time there. If anything, Hinrich would pose the biggest threat to Butler, and as we all know to well, that's not something to lose sleep over.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby plonden » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:55 am

I really like the last two picks. I was hoping McGee would fall to me because he is going to block a lot of shots this season. A LOT. I also think Monroe is a very good value at this point in the draft, even with the question marks in Detroit. There are still a few more good big men on the board. I suspect they won't be there much longer though.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 77)

Postby jphanned » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:03 am

RedHopeful wrote:After having a chance to think about it, I'm not all that worried about Dunleavy -- he's barely played at SG the last several years. Deng certainly isn't going to garner time there. If anything, Hinrich would pose the biggest threat to Butler, and as we all know to well, that's not something to lose sleep over.

He's barely played SG with the Bucks because during his time there they already had Monta Ellis, compared to a motley group of SF's consisting of Delfino, Mbah a Moute, and Marquis Daniels. There simply wasn't any minutes available at SG with Monta playing 37 mpg; on the other hand, they could've used as many minutes as possible from Dunleavy at SF to spell what was a collection of sub-par backups. To sum it up, he played there almost exclusively out of necessity.

Before his time in Milwaukee, back in 2011, he started at SG for the Pacers ahead of Paul George with Granger at the SF. He can play both wing spots interchangeably. Chicago wouldn't have signed him if he couldn't.

If we've learned anything over the past few years it's that Thibs will ride Deng, Noah, and Rose as many minutes as he possibly can. Deng in particular has been his workhorse. We'll see smaller lineups with Deng at PF and Butler-Dunleavy on the wings, but most of Dunleavy's minutes will be at the expense of Butler.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:32 am

jphanned wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:After having a chance to think about it, I'm not all that worried about Dunleavy -- he's barely played at SG the last several years. Deng certainly isn't going to garner time there. If anything, Hinrich would pose the biggest threat to Butler, and as we all know to well, that's not something to lose sleep over.

He's barely played SG with the Bucks because during his time there they already had Monta Ellis, compared to a motley group of SF's consisting of Delfino, Mbah a Moute, and Marquis Daniels. There simply wasn't any minutes available at SG with Monta playing 37 mpg; on the other hand, they could've used as many minutes as possible from Dunleavy at SF to spell what was a collection of sub-par backups. To sum it up, he played there almost exclusively out of necessity.

Before his time in Milwaukee, back in 2011, he started at SG for the Pacers ahead of Paul George with Granger at the SF. He can play both wing spots interchangeably. Chicago wouldn't have signed him if he couldn't.

If we've learned anything over the past few years it's that Thibs will ride Deng, Noah, and Rose as many minutes as he possibly can. Deng in particular has been his workhorse. We'll see smaller lineups with Deng at PF and Butler-Dunleavy on the wings, but most of Dunleavy's minutes will be at the expense of Butler.

Good point about the years prior for Dunleavy, but I wonder if he's still got enough juice to run around after SG's for significant stretches.

Wholeheartedly agree about Thibs riding his horses, but ask yourself, hasn't Butler already got one foot onto that wagon?
RedHopeful

Postby jphanned » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:40 am

RedHopeful wrote:Wholeheartedly agree about Thibs riding his horses, but ask yourself, hasn't Butler already got one foot onto that wagon?

Thibs needed to ride Butler late into the season because they simply lacked any scoring punch. On the right night Butler could pour in 20 if he needed to. With Rose back that's far less of a concern. Surrounding Rose with floor spacers is much more important, which Dunleavy fills better than most anyone in the league. That's why I'm expecting him to take a healthy chunk out of Butler's mpg.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby Leszczur » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:59 am

jphanned wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Wholeheartedly agree about Thibs riding his horses, but ask yourself, hasn't Butler already got one foot onto that wagon?

Thibs needed to ride Butler late into the season because they simply lacked any scoring punch. On the right night Butler could pour in 20 if he needed to. With Rose back that's far less of a concern. Surrounding Rose with floor spacers is much more important, which Dunleavy fills better than most anyone in the league. That's why I'm expecting him to take a healthy chunk out of Butler's mpg.

The problem is - Dunleavy is nowhere near Butler in terms of D and defense is the flavour of choice for Thibs.
On top of that Mike is getting a little long in the tooth, so my gut feeling is he will come of the bench an play around 24 mpg mainly with second team leaving Jimmy largely unaffected.
Leszczur
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Mock Draft