Draft Room - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2013 Mock Draft

Draft Room

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Room

Postby dcdoorknob » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:03 pm

4.07 - Tony Parker

So I look at my team start (Love, Batum, Leonard), and the categories I want to address most are points, fg%, assists and blocks. Parker hits 3 of 4 pretty darn well (and in a way that no one else later will be able to approach) and I don't particularly want to wait longer for my first PG. I'm aware that last season's per game rank of 27 might be difficult for him to repeat, but I'm getting him in the 40s so he can fall off a bit and still be worth a pick here. Combine that with the almost perfect fit for what I was looking to address at this point in the draft, and there you have the decision.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 120)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:29 pm

4.08 Andrew Bynum

I'm not saying that CP3, Dirk, and Pau Gasol are extremely safe picks, but I do think that most feel top 20 seasons for Dirk and Gasol are easily attainable, so it seems like as good a time as any to try and make a calculated gamble here. I'll look back in a few months I'm sure and realize this was a make or break pick.

I definitely think Bynum is a big injury risk, and who knows if he'll play to start the season (though as of right now things look promising), but I do think it's funny that in the 2011-2012 season he was ranked 12th in per game, then missed all of last season, and has seemingly scared absolutely everyone off. Centers/Bigs are tough since a lot of their injuries tend to linger, but how does a guy like Rose who was ranked 27th overall in 2011-2012, not play a minute in 2012-2013, picked in the first round of the mock, not make you feel good about drafting Bynum at 40+ picks in?

I'm of course going to talk him up since I'm drafting him here, but playing with Kyrie and the situation in Cleveland make him a nice pick here.

Other players I considered were: David Lee, David West, Brandon Jennings, Jeff Teague, possibly Blake Griffin, and Roy Hibbert.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 726)

Postby geodbear » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:46 pm

4.09 Rudy Gay (F - TOR)

He puts up numbers. May not help a real NBA team, but potentially 20 ppg, 1.5 3pg, 6 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.5 spg, 0.8 bpg, 80%+ ft. Yes, a large number of turnovers, but maybe with vision surgery, he'll see things better. :-D His fg% could ultimately dictate his value. I think he could put up value in the 30 to 60 range, so having him as the 45th pick puts him right in the middle.

Pretty much considered all the players Jim mentioned above and a few more.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 262)

Postby jay_00 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:18 pm

4.10 Roy Hibbert (C - IND)

Not gonna lie, im pretty excited to land Hibbert here being that I passed on Sanders in the 3rd round. If you consider Hibbert's PAB performance AND playoff performance, there's no reason to think he cant give you 14 and 8.5 with 2 blks on good percentages (with a possibility of more). Pairing him with Duncan gives me a strong case for fighting for the league lead in blocks, all while maintaining my strength in ft%. Rubio and Harden's strong numbers in steals certainly offset Duncan and Hibbert's poor steals numbers as well.

My next pick I will be looking to continue to boost my fg%, and with only 2 managers in front of me, I certainly have the options to boost that. Im either looking at Blake, David Lee, or David West with my next selection. Either one of those three will do.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 74)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:41 pm

4.11 Jonas Valanciunas (TOR - C)

I'm going to take a page out the jphanned draft manual and swing for the fences with a youngster. Valanciunas finished last season strong, and looked like a man amongst boys playing in summer league. The Raps aren't in contention this year and should be looking to force -feed Jonas all the minutes he can handle, which should be nice for his counting stats. I think his fantasy floor for the upcoming season is right around this pick, so I'm quite happy to take him here. I have him projected for something like 16/8 with 2 Blk and a .560/.850 shooting line and that's pretty sexy for roto play. There's room for him to beat those projections too, especially on the points and FG% (but probably not both at once).

I did think hard about David West here, and about a couple of guards, but Valanciunas is a guy I'll be targeting this year and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to add him to my mock squad.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby plonden » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:09 pm

4.12 David Lee (PF/C - GSW)
5.01 David West (PF - IND)

This is probably another unconventional pair of selections for my team in that the two players provide a lot of the same value. Conventional wisdom says I should take a big man and a point guard. The longer I play fantasy basketball, the less inclined I am to abide by conventional wisdom. That being said, I have these two guys as two of the best available players and I simply cannot pass up the value, especially in a roto league. For roto, I like to end up with a good core of big men that don't kill my percentages. Lee provides a strong FG% boost (~52FG%) without a harmful effect on my FT% (~80FT%). West provides similar value (~50FG%; ~77FT%). With Durant as my first pick, that is especially important, otherwise you end up wasting a lot of KD's value (for example, by drafting Dwight Howard). They also pair nicely with Chris Bosh.

With Lee, I do not expect his line to change all that much from last season. I don't really see the addition of Andre Iguodala as harming Lee's value. Otherwise, Lee's value is related to Andrew Bogut's value. With Bogut's injury history, I am comfortable with selecting Lee here. If Bogut does go down, I expect Lee to take on a bigger role. If Bogut stays healthy, I expect Lee to provide at least fourth round value, similar to last season. No problem there.

With West, he returns to a relatively stable Indy squad. The only major differences from last season are the emergence of Paul George during the playoffs and the (supposed) return of Danny Granger. Again, I don't think this affects West's value all that much and I see him playing largely the same role as last season. If anything, he is a year further removed from his knee injury. West's game also ages well, as he does not rely on jump-out-of-gym athleticism to get his. I love owning West in roto leagues.

Others I considered: Kobe Bryant, Chandler Parsons, Brandon Jennings, Jose Calderon. I'm beginning to need to address a 3PTM shortfall and I need to add at least one other point guards who gives me a decent number of assists.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 77)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:03 pm

5.02 Brandon Jennings (DET - PG)

I wanted a PG with this pick, and decided to with Jennings due to the points, threes and steals. The FG% is troublesome, but I think I can absorb that and the rest of Jennings' line is exactly what my team needed. Detroit is short of shooters, so Jennings should be able to hoist threes to his heart's content. Plus both Monroe and Drummond should convert a goodly number of Ast for him too. Jennings value was on par with this pick last year (44th per game) with the upside of the previous year where he ranked 19th. If Detroit adds another shooter, or Caldwell-Pope really busts out, Jennings could be really good relative to the 5th round price-point.

I really waffled between Calderon and Jennings here, with Teague and Holiday also getting some attention. Holiday has been disappointing in back to back years, and Atlanta doesn't seem keen on Teague, so that left Jose. I love the percentages there, but I ended up deciding I wanted more points and threes.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby jay_00 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:44 pm

5.03 Blake Griffin (LAC - PF)

My top choice was David Lee, and then Blake. Being that my team is solid in ft% so far, I can take the hit that Blake will certainly give me in ft%. However, his 18-20 ppg on 53 fg% combined with the 30 ppg on 50 fg% I likely will get from Duncan & Hibbert combined certainly helps offset any concerns about my fg%. The steals I get from Blake, and the assists I get from him and Duncan only boosts my strength in those areas as well. I like my chances of improving my 3s, asts, and shooting percentages as I go along.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 74)

Postby geodbear » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:08 pm

5.04 Amir Johnson (FC - TOR)

Though last year was close to, if not the ceiling for Johnson, which I hope he duplicates. Optimistically looking at 10 ppg, 8 rpg, 1 spg, 1.5 bpg with solid percentages and low turnovers, and getting around 30-32 mpg.

Also considered Tyson Chandler at this spot.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 262)

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:33 am

5.05 Klay Thompson

This was a tough pick. A huge chunck of me wanted to go another PG here, but I like what Thompson has show and my team doesn't really have anyone who hits 1.5+ a game yet. I also like the 1.5 steals from Thompson and the marginal FG% for a guy who shoots threes a ton. I think he can easily still manage to score close to 16 a game with a handful of threes and I would guess with Iggy in the picture he might even be able to cut down on the TOs a bit.

I considered Holiday, Lowry, Dragic, Kobe, Chandler Parsons, Jeff Teague, and even Kobe a bit. Oh Wes Matthews too.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 726)

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Mock Draft