Draft Room - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2013 Mock Draft

Draft Room

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Room

Postby dcdoorknob » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:29 am

5.06 Kobe Bryant

This is obviously a prime case of not really having as much information as you'd like do to such an early mock. What information there is on Kobe's recovery all seems almost unreasonably positive though, including just today news of him running on an antigravity treadmill already. Who knows, maybe he really is super-human. At any rate, you definitely can't question his drive or work ethic. I feel like the 5th round, based on the limited information we have now, is a good spot to gamble on him.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 120)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DamnLies » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:50 am

5.07 Jeff Teague (PG - ATL)

Teague is the definition of a solid fantasy point guard. Pencil him in for 15 points, 7 assists at least a three and 1.5 steals per game. I can actually see him improving on the scoring and assists with Josh Smith gone but several nice options still around him. Dennis Schroeder is an intriguing prospect but it's too early to expect him to really challenge Teague's minutes, especially since Atlanta just inked Teague to a four-year deal. I can sleep soundly with him as my second point guard.
DamnLies
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:12 pm

5.08 Chandler Parsons (SF - HOU)

He's fallen enough. Really wanted to grab another point guard here, but Parsons represents fantastic value at this point. Sure, the arrival of Dwight Howard somewhat dampens a continued climb up the rankings, but I fully expect he'll outproduce this draft position. His numbers post the All-Star break and in the post-season suggest he'll be one of the Rocket's main cogs for a long long time.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:53 pm

5.09 Jose Calderon (PG-DAL)

With this pick, I needed to address assists, threes, steals, blocks and turnovers. There isn't a player out there that can do all 5 so I had to pick which was the most scarce. Calderon is the only guy averaging 7 plus assists that has a very good turnover rate to go with it. He also has a high fg% and will chip in a few threes. Also, before you worry about Monta Ellis stealing his dimes, remember Toronto often yo yoed him in and out of a starters role, and he played together with another point guard in Kyle Lowry, just last season.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 164)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby barrec » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:37 pm

5.10 Thaddeus Young (PF - PHI)

I wasn't sure who to go with until I looked at team construction and decided to meet some needs. Last season (Young's best), he saw a bump in minutes and produced in all categories except dimes/3's/FT%. I felt safe taking on his percentage as Gasol is not a threat and I have two high percentage/volume players on board already. Young bolsters the front court with boards, blocks and FG%, and greatly improves me in steals.

I was pushed over the edge when I saw this conversation on him over at BBM: http://basketballmonster.com/MessageTop ... topic=6099 . I think he's a fine pick in the 5th round - especially so late - but wouldn't necessarily reach for him. I'd be curious to see what his value is like in an auction format as he could be a great value. Will look to go back court stats in the next round.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby jphanned » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:21 pm

5.11 Ryan Anderson (FC - NOR)

Another player, like Lawson, who fell because he didn't quite live up to pre-draft expectations. His per-36s were largely the same, but he saw his efficiency take a hit as he was asked to carry NOLA's offense on most nights with Eric Gordon sidelined. Enter Jrue, Reke, an improved Davis, as well as a relatively healthy Gordon. Ryno is at his best as a complimentary player - free to roam along the perimeter where he can camp out and exploit overeager defenses with his deadly quick release off the catch. Less usage is more with Ryno, and last season he saw his usage soar to 24%, well above his sweet spot of 20-21%. With an improved set of weapons around him this year, I'll be taking him late-4th and on all day as a solid value pick.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 402)

Postby mbuser » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:42 pm

5.12 Derrick Favors, FC, UTA
FT% is an obvious caveat for roto with Favors, but his potential for accumulating defensive stats puts him in fairly exclusive company, and the Jazz are looking to give him as many minutes as he can handle. One of the obvious "upside" picks for the 2013-14 season, but we'll also need him to keep his fouls in check in order to play a lot on most nights.

6.1 Goran Dragic, PG, PHO
The Suns are going to run this season, and Dragic does some of his best work in transition. There are few questions of his ability to compile AST, STL, and 3PM, but how high his rank climbs will depend on his %s. In any case, I feel comfortable with his floor at pick 61.
Last edited by mbuser on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 13)

Postby jphanned » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:47 pm

6.02 Tyreke Evans (GF - NOR)

In years past, Reke has been the prototypical player I try to avoid in drafts - brand name, big hype with little by way of all-around fantasy impact to justify it. So this is ... weird. There are reasons to be optimistic though. Reke came off what was the most efficient season of his career, posting career-highs in TS%, rebound rate, and steal rate, topped off with a career-low TO rate. We saw this improvement reflected in his fantasy value, with career-bests in both per-game value (0.00) and per-game rank (64). Even more reason for optimism - getting out of Sacramento, which has become a cesspool of sorts where young talent has stagnated. A new change of scenery should serve him well, as should a sixth man role that won't cost him minutes (he only saw 30.6 mpg last year anyways) and will allow him to take advantage of weaker second unit opposition. As with Ryno, less is more for Reke.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 402)

Postby barrec » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:07 pm

6.03 Rajon Rondo (PG - BOS)

Surprised he is still here and this tells me I didn't need to grab Lillard earlier. I believe in Rondo to come back and am willing to gamble on the new-look Celtics. His assists will likely decline, but given my team make-up I can handle that. Rondo is a favorite of mine for contributing stats our of position, which means, unfortunately, he lacks in some of the traditional guard stats.

For overall talent, I can't not get him here. If we played out the league I'd probably try to trade him for a Forward. Also considered Jeff Green and Pierce.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:02 pm

6.04 Wesley Matthews (SG/SF-POR)

I wanted Anderson here, but Matthews was my 2nd choice. I need points, threes and steals with low turnovers so Matthews is a fine addition to my team.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 164)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Mock Draft