Draft Room - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2013 Mock Draft

Draft Room

Moderator: jphanned

Re: Draft Room

Postby barrec » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:17 pm

8.03 Luol Deng (SF - CHI)

Apparently I like taking on injury risk.

I remember taking Deng in the mock last season and there being lots of discussion around his health. Though he has had health issues before, the botched spinal tap was obviously out of his hands. Let's hope the time required to recover from that allowed the body to heal everywhere else.

Mostly taking him now for position and stats need, though he could be a value for any team in drafts this season. His stats didn't vary too greatly last season with Rose, but his PER has certainly been better with Rose healthy. If he can stay at 15 points per game with improved efficiency he's obviously a solid option as also contributes in boards, assists and steals. If he got his 3p% back up that'd be a welcomed surprise, too.

Had hoped to catch Mayo with this pick.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:19 am

8.04 Brandon Knight (PG-MIL)

I need points, threes, and assists. Knight will get every shot to prove he can be a starting point guard on a thin milwaukee team. I think if you expect 15 points, 6 assists, 1.5 threes on poor percentages you won't be disappointed. For my team, we are punting free throw percentage, and we have a strong field goal percentage even with knight.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 164)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:34 am

8.05 JaVale McGee (C - DEN)

Before George Karl, McGee was a valuable contributor prior to last season, finishing 84th (despite 20 of 61 games playing for Denver) and 65th respectively in the rankings. Well, the hater is now gone. Moreover, Kosta Koufos was moved to Memphis, paving the way for McGee to start and see, at a minimum, around 25-28 minutes a game. Sure his FT% will always be a drag, but he should net solid returns in FG%, REB and BLK.

Also considered Greg Monroe, Kevin Garnett and one or two other bigs but decided to go with the guy who seems to have the best upside. Just don't let fantasy owners down, Brian Shaw.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)

Postby DamnLies » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:00 am

8.06 Greg Monroe (FC - DET)

I think Monroe's sat in the green room long enough. This guy was going in the 3rd round in some leagues last year, and yeah, he disappointed. Shooting 48.6/68.9 with 2.9 turnovers will leave a bitter aftertaste in any fantasy owner's mouth. I'm not going to come out and predict Monroe will bounce back in a big way, especially with Andre Drummond sure to emerge and Josh Smith around to muck things up offensively. Monroe's sure to see a slight dip in points and rebounds, but I think he can still be good for 15 & 9. He's a solid player, just not a perfect fantasy guy by any means. You have to hope that an improved Pistons team overall will motivate Monroe to have a big year, and come to think of it, Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith will make sure there are plenty of offensive rebounds to be had. What separates Monroe from the other bigs left right now are his plus assists and steals (and relative health). If he can creep up to a 50/70 % line and cut the turnovers, this could end up being a nice pick in the 8th round.
DamnLies
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby dcdoorknob » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:45 am

8.07 - Raymond Felton

It's not a sexy pick for sure, but starting PGs are running pretty thin, and with I somewhat feel the need for a 2nd one before they run out altogether. Of the others remaining, one is at a similar level but a bigger injury risk (Nelson), one is elite at assists but has an overall fantasy game that doesn't translate that well to 9-cat, and is on a new team which I don't like as well for him as last year (Vasquez), one doesn't hardly count as a starter (Chalmers), and 2 are rookies. I'll be honest I feel like if Burke had had even a kinda meh summer league I may have taken him here instead, but that absolute stinker he turned in gave me pause.

I do like Felton's stability in role and minutes, and feel like on my team with some help from non-PGs in assists (Batum, Kobe, Hayward a bit), I could use Felton's steals and lower TOs as opposed to Vasquez' higher assist totals.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 120)

Postby silentjim » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:32 pm

8.08 Eric Gordon

Not too sure what I'm expecting of Gordon, but in the 8th I like his return on investment here. The help in FT%, points, threes, and steals is much needed at this point in the draft for my team (actually I'm pretty solid in points, but injury prone).

With both UTIL spots still available I still like the flexibility I have to take another big man and another three point threat. Despite drafting Paul and Dirk early on, my TOs are worse than I would have wanted though.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 727)

Postby geodbear » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:17 pm

8.09 Tobias Harris (F - ORL)

My need is a 2nd center, but there is no center here with Harris's upside. Only three players remain from last season that posted top 50 value post-All-Star break, Isaiah Thomas, J.R. Smith, and Tobias Harris. Thomas is highly unlikely to duplicate his 2nd half with Greivis Vasquez on board and fairly crowded back court in Sacramento. Smith is coming off injury is notoriously a better 2nd half player. Harris will have to contend with the return of Glen Davis, but when exactly that is is uncertain. Harris should be productive early on and may not sustain value through the whole season, so the goal would be to pick up 2nd half players in case.

As for numbers, I'd look for a "lite" version of Jeff Green who I drafted a couple of rounds earlier.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 262)

Postby jay_00 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:06 pm

8.10 Kevin Garnett (F - BRO)

Feels weird drafting Garnett this late after he had been so dominant for over a decade. Well im sure he's considering this year as his last shot for a title, so the motivation will certainly be there. With the stacked roster though, everyone's expecting KG to take the most hit in fantasy value. Still I would say hes a lock for at least 12.5 and 7.5 with around 1 stl, 1 blk a game. Plus his ft% has been around 84% the last 4 yrs before last season, so chances are that his ft% might bump back up. I had considered Boozer here, but Garnett gives me a little more blks and the ft% certainly isn't bad.

Edit: I said hes a lock for 12.5 and 7.5, but obviously im hoping (and somewhat expecting) for more.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 74)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:01 pm

8.11 DeMar DeRozan

I can alreay hear the gleeful shouts of homer pick from the peanut gallery. Yes, I now have three Raptors on my team, and no, that really wasn't the plan. I needed points out of my SG slot though, and DeMar is a potential 20ppg guy. He boosts FT% well for a guy drafted this late as well. He doesn't give much else of course, notably threes, which is something I'll have to address with a future pick. DeRozan is only 24 mind you, and still has some room to grow his game (I'm hoping for a three a game there, but that's really optimistic). The depth at SG this year is pretty pathetic, so I'm ok drafting DeRozan at about his level of production from last year (96th per game value).
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby plonden » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:18 pm

8.12 Manu Ginobili (SG - SAS)
I'm expecting a bit of a bounceback season from Manu but I'm not expecting a return to elite fantasy producer status. I view last season as a floor for Manu this season as he dealt with some nagging injuries last year. Even if Manu does nothing but reproduce his line from last season I'm happy with the pickup. Of course, the specter of the next injury hangs over Manu but I think the gamble makes sense at this point. He provides a very roto-friendly line.

9.01 Zach Randolph (FC - MEM)
I wasn't really planning on taking a big man with this pick but I liked the options left here. In fact, I had a tough time choosing between some of the solid big men left (specifically Varejao and Boozer). These guys look like good value pickups at this point in the draft and I don't expect them to be around when I pick next.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 77)

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Mock Draft