Max Salary Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

Max Salary Discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Max Salary Discussion

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 pm

TheRobSays wrote:I would be very interested to see in your rankings what a salary of $25M or $30M means to Kevin Durant or LBJ? How far down the list does this push them?

I didn't technically rank everybody. Though I just did and the rankings shifted even more as I forgot about some of the guys who were still on rookie contracts.

Durant slides to 4th and Lebron to 13.

Salaries, like DVauthrin has mentioned, are a snapshot of time, so I'm not sure you can simply say what happens when they make 25M, but for this, if Durant made 25M last season he'd be the 25th best in the league for production per dollar (essentially what this calculation is). Lebron in my crude math would be about 53rd.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dasein » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:35 am

silentjim wrote:Can someone offer me evidence that Lebron James or Kevin Durant are the most valuable players in our league per dollar than everyone else by a longshot?

This isn't really all that relevant as asked, as the implication is value/dollar-paid is the most important factor in the league which is false.

Lebron and Durant are the most valuable players by a long shot. Consequently, rules that ensure they are given a substantial discount is a big, big problem. You win fantasy leagues by having the best players period. Doesn't matter how you get them or how much you're paying them. Look to the NBA. The best value contracts are always going to be for the star rookies like Kyrie. But the best contract is whatever LeBron gets because he's the best player in the league and the one that wins you the title. The way to win is get that star, then fill in around him with value contracts. Much tougher to win if all you have is mid-tier guys who are underpaid by a few million. Think about it this way - in a std snake draft, would you trade a top 5 pick for say 3 round 5 picks?

Again- and I thought we had already covered this- there is nothing wrong with having players on your roster that are undervalued. In fact that's part of the game and a goal that every manager should aim for. The problem is when the rules mandate that the cream gets underpaid. Then you have a distorted market. It just so happens they we doubled down on this mistake by ensuring that these discounted stars never change teams, but that is a separate issue. Fortunately, the proposed changes should solve both at once. ;-D
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

Postby dcdoorknob » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 am

silentjim wrote:
Da Ruhl wrote:Thaddy Young looks pretty good I suspect in your settings, especially if you figure in that he has two years left. Possibly the best contract in the league IMO. :-)

-DR

He was 11th. ;-D

For whatever it's worth, Young was my very first ever FA auction won this league, at the beginning of the FA period last year. I didn't feel entirely sure about what I was doing yet and was worried at the time I may have overpaid slightly for him. 8-o :-D
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 125)

Previous

Return to FBC Salary Cap