Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions

Choosing 6 keepers - WHIR

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Choosing 6 keepers - WHIR

Postby sn267537 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:36 am

12 teams
Roto
Standard yahoo roster, settings, and categories(5x5)

Keeper rules: 6 keepers (maximum)

1) players are kept based on round drafted
2) if because of trade there are two keepers in the same round, the player traded for will be kept in the next available round(open spot) after the player of same round drafted by the team.
3) free agent keepers will start at round 10. And fill so on as needed (round 11+) if round 10 is already taken by drafted or traded for player

PG: Kyle Lowry (round 5)
SG: Klay Thompson (round 7)
G: Goran Dragic (round 3)
SF: Lebron James (round 1)
PF: Rudy gay (round 2)
F: Evan turner (round 8 (trade))
C: joakim Noah (round 4)
C: pau gasol (round 2 (trade))
Utl: Andre Iguodala (round 4 (trade))
Utl: isaiah Thomas (round 9)

BN: Jeff green (round 10 (FA))
sn267537
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Choosing 6 keepers - WHIR

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Guys I like: James (1), Noah (4), Lowry (5), Green (10), Thompson (7)

After those five I'd probably pick between Gasol and Iggy. Probably Gasol. ;-D I don't think he's great value at 2 there, but he should be a loss either, and I doubt you get a better guy back there. If the draft pool looks especially temping you could throw Gasol back and keep Iggy at, essenatially, 6, which is solid IMO.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:Guys I like: James (1), Noah (4), Lowry (5), Green (10), Thompson (7)

After those five I'd probably pick between Gasol and Iggy. Probably Gasol. ;-D I don't think he's great value at 2 there, but he should be a loss either, and I doubt you get a better guy back there. If the draft pool looks especially temping you could throw Gasol back and keep Iggy at, essenatially, 6, which is solid IMO.

Pretty much agree with all of this. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby sn267537 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:46 pm

I appreciate the responses, and it's nice to see there's constancy in agreement! I

am curious, however, to know why goran dragic was left off the list? Is Lowry>dragic, or is it because dragic is PG for the suns? Originally I was thinking of dragic over Lowry as a keeper. (lowry's health issues)

Also I am curious why gasol> gay ? Is it based on positions, and the position needs for my roster?

Just the thought process of elimination for each would be great to know!
sn267537
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby silentjim » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:58 pm

I think they might be over thinking this a bit. Based on how your rules work, I'd simply take the 6 best players. If you bypass a round without a keeper I'm guessing the free agent pool is even crappier.

I'd keep James, Gasol, Noah, Rudy Gay, Iggy, and then one of either Dragic or Lowry (not sure who I'd rather have at this point). I like Thompson and Green, but there doesn't seem to be any major benefit in my mind in not just keeping the 6 best players on your team since they just move to the next available round if its already taken. If you keep Green at 10? who will actually be there in the third round? Someone better than Rudy Gay? Seems unlikely.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Dragic and Lowry are about even on my draft board. The difference here is the round they're kept in. Plus I think Lowry has a higher ceiling.

@jim Obviously the strength of the FA pool makes a lot of difference. We have no idea what it looks like though, so I just side-stepped the issue and went with the standard sort of value for draft round type of answer.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

Postby sn267537 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:05 pm

silentjim wrote:I think they might be over thinking this a bit. Based on how your rules work, I'd simply take the 6 best players. If you bypass a round without a keeper I'm guessing the free agent pool is even crappier.

I'd keep James, Gasol, Noah, Rudy Gay, Iggy, and then one of either Dragic or Lowry (not sure who I'd rather have at this point). I like Thompson and Green, but there doesn't seem to be any major benefit in my mind in not just keeping the 6 best players on your team since they just move to the next available round if its already taken. If you keep Green at 10? who will actually be there in the third round? Someone better than Rudy Gay? Seems unlikely.

66 players will be kept at maximum. I am pretty much set to keep Thompson at round 7. It's a keeper league and Thompson at round 7 for years to come is great in my mind. I am also heavily considering Jeff green at round 10 based on his Proventil without pierce and KG now. How is Jeff green not Rudy gay? But at round 10 instead of two, I see them as similar, except green is cheaper, in a keeper league with this setting.

The FA pool won't be so bad, but I have the and 14th pick for the second round, so I have a solid chance to potentially draft gay or gasol if I don't keep them

I appreciate your response. And not trying to discredit your input, just offering substance and support for keeping Thompson and green
sn267537
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby sn267537 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:Dragic and Lowry are about even on my draft board. The difference here is the round they're kept in. Plus I think Lowry has a higher ceiling.

@jim Obviously the strength of the FA pool makes a lot of difference. We have no idea what it looks like though, so I just side-stepped the issue and went with the standard sort of value for draft round type of answer.

Ok I understand your dragic/Lowry

I don't even know what the FA pool will look like yet, so the standard sort of value for draft round type answer is what I was looking for
sn267537
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:36 am

Again, if you keep a first round player you don't select in that round then, right?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby sn267537 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:03 am

silentjim wrote:Again, if you keep a first round player you don't select in that round then, right?

correct. keeping a player with a round 1 value means that is your pick for that round
sn267537
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions