This league has non-standard features as follows:
- FT% -> FTM: FTM will be swapped in for FT% because I feel that players are getting penalized too much for missing free throws. As you can read in more detail here, free throw attempts provide value to their teams even if they result in misses, so there should be less of a penalty for it. This change also allows top players like Dwight Howard and Blake Griffin to rank closer to their real life ranking.
- AST and TO -> AST/TO: AST/TO will be swapped in for AST and TO because the two categories are interrelated and incomplete separately. TO rewards players who don't turn the ball over by simply not handling the ball, and overvalues role player/specialist types.
- 8-Categories: PTS, 3PTM, REB, STL, BLK, AST/TO, FG%, FTM
- 12 teams
- Standard roster with 5 bench: PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, 2 Util, and 5 bench
- H2H playoffs in Weeks 21-23: Chopping off the last week of the season when teams are resting key players.
- 1 IR Slot: Teams need an IR for keeper leagues because they can't just drop injured top players, i.e. Derrick Rose, without a huge penalty. It will be set up so that only players who are out for extended periods of time are eligible to avoid abuse.
The keeper and draft system is also quite unique in that it is based on an auction format. Basically, each owned player is assigned a value based on the bid used to obtain them (either via draft or FAAB waiver pickup) which is maintained until they are dropped or not kept by their owner. Each year, players will be able to keep 4 players with a total value up to $125. Also, players can only be kept for a max of 4 seasons, after which they are free to be drafted by anyone.
Each draft is done via the Yahoo auction format, with each manager having a total budget of $200. The first thing that will happen during a redraft will be each manager drafting their keepers for the values assigned to them. After all the keepers are taken, then the actual redraft happens as a regular auction draft with each person having their remaining budget available to fill out the rest of their roster.
You can read more about all of this in the forum here: viewforum.php?f=152
I know it sounds very odd and quirky, but everyone in the league really enjoyed it last season and found the changes to ultimately result in a satisfyingly different experience. Feel free to post in the thread if you have any questions and I'll be glad to explain anything.
Please post if you're interested, and include some background regarding your fantasy basketball background and experience.
The currently available teams are Golden State of Mind (previously owned by jphanned), soggy biscuits, and ankle breakers the rosters of which you can see here: viewtopic.php?t=74139