General Discussion 2013-2014 - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Xperimental Keeper

General Discussion 2013-2014

Moderator: bokzg

Re: General Discussion 2013-2014

Postby kiwishaq » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Question about the IR: Am I right in thinking that the IR from last season does not continue into this season (unless you've designated them as a keeper, which from the looks of things no one has - thinking primarily of Kobe and Westbrook here). I assume that whoever picks up an already injured player (e.g. Westbrook) can subsequently put him onto the IR and pick up another player to fill that roster spot once the draft is over?
kiwishaq
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bokzg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:31 pm

kiwishaq wrote:Thanks bokzg. People can check the values under the Draft Results page: http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/nba/25113/draftresults

Sweet! Thanks for finding that ;-D
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 68)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Bump.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 603)

Postby bokzg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:35 am

Bump bump bump
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:43 pm

Congratz ggs! ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 603)

Postby bokzg » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Congratulations to ggs for winning this year. I thought we had another great season, and am liking all the settings and rules we've implemented. I haven't had much success so far, but I feel the formatting gives everyone a shot to compete each season and allows for good competition throughout the year despite injuries (so many!).

Let's hear all of your thoughts and feedback on what you liked, didn't like, and would like to see implemented for next season.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby thelimey » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:16 pm

Congrats to ggs, a worthy successor to myself ;-) My strategy to spread the $$$ didn't quite work as well as last year as I just missed the playoffs, like a few others I had the injury bug & had to juggle the IR a bit. Ersan was my most disappointing keeper, Javale McGee was a draft day disaster.

A few questions about the 4 year keeper rule, is that irrespective of trades & waiver wire transactions? Eg player A is with one team for 2 years & then traded to another does he need to be dropped by his new team after 2 years? Like wise if player B is with one team for 2 years & then dropped, another team picks him up - can he only be kept for another two years? Also does the initial draft count as one of our keeper years, so players who were drafted & kept only have 2 more years before re-entering the pool?
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 47)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bokzg » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:58 pm

thelimey wrote:A few questions about the 4 year keeper rule, is that irrespective of trades & waiver wire transactions? Eg player A is with one team for 2 years & then traded to another does he need to be dropped by his new team after 2 years? Like wise if player B is with one team for 2 years & then dropped, another team picks him up - can he only be kept for another two years? Also does the initial draft count as one of our keeper years, so players who were drafted & kept only have 2 more years before re-entering the pool?

The way I intended it to mean was that a player can only be kept by one team 4 seasons in a row. If they are kept for 2 seasons by one team and then traded/picked up by another, that new team gets to keep them for 4 years in a row max. The keeper timer isn't like a contract that travels with a player to each new team.

The main purpose of the rule is to avoid having a player with a great keeper value (i.e. Eric Bledsoe at $1) stay at that value forever and provide the team with a permanent huge advantage. At some point, the player has to be released back into the pool for everyone to get a shot at him, where his value will be re-set by the market.

As it is, a team can reap the benefits of a timely pickup just before a player blew up for 4 full seasons after the one in which they are initially picked up, which is a lot. I actually considered shortening the keeper period to sometime like 2-3 seasons for that reason, but settled on 4 because the whole appeal of a keeper league is building a team over multiple seasons and being able to hold onto players for a while.

Keep in mind that a player can be picked up by the same team that just released them, which would then restart the keeper timer. Teams are only prevented from designating such a player as a keeper, but nothing prevents them from re-drafting or adding them as an FA right away. For example, I currently have Bledsoe for $1 and can keep him for 4 seasons, release him back into the pool of available players in the 5th season, and then re-draft Bledsoe again in that same 5th season for whatever price it takes to do so and start another 4 season period.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ggs » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:44 pm

^i like that rule, keeps it fresh. glad to win it this year after playing second fiddle last season.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 133)

Postby kiwishaq » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Congratulations ggs. Coming into the season I had you pegged as the top team (based on your 4 keepers). Not surprised to see you come out on top. I was hopeful going into the week, but the Wade gamble finally caught me out - those lost games were the difference I'd imagine. I can't see myself keeping him next year! Great to see the season go down to the wire.

One potential change for next year to ponder - is it possible to change the waiver system so you are bidding on players who will enter your line up tomorrow (rather than the day after tomorrow)? This is purely to make it easier to use in the yahoo system (which displays who's playing tomorrow in the free agent pool by default).
kiwishaq
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Xperimental Keeper