General Discussion 2013-2014 - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Xperimental Keeper

General Discussion 2013-2014

Moderator: bokzg

Re: General Discussion 2013-2014

Postby bokzg » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:40 pm

kiwishaq wrote:Congratulations ggs. Coming into the season I had you pegged as the top team (based on your 4 keepers). Not surprised to see you come out on top. I was hopeful going into the week, but the Wade gamble finally caught me out - those lost games were the difference I'd imagine. I can't see myself keeping him next year! Great to see the season go down to the wire.

One potential change for next year to ponder - is it possible to change the waiver system so you are bidding on players who will enter your line up tomorrow (rather than the day after tomorrow)? This is purely to make it easier to use in the yahoo system (which displays who's playing tomorrow in the free agent pool by default).

I thought that the FA pickups were available the day after, but I'm admittedly not sure. I took a quick glance through the settings, and I don't think there's any way to change that time period, at least for this season. If anyone else knows the answer for sure, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it next season.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby thelimey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:31 am

Just a technicality but maybe we should have a rule to prevent the resetting of the keeper clock by trading players with someone & then trading them back (eg just say in that situation the keeper clock doesn't reset).

I'm not sure the waivers can process quicker if you use FAAB bidding, I'd rather keep that than scrap it to enable faster pickups.
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 47)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kiwishaq » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:16 pm

bokzg wrote:
kiwishaq wrote:Congratulations ggs. Coming into the season I had you pegged as the top team (based on your 4 keepers). Not surprised to see you come out on top. I was hopeful going into the week, but the Wade gamble finally caught me out - those lost games were the difference I'd imagine. I can't see myself keeping him next year! Great to see the season go down to the wire.

One potential change for next year to ponder - is it possible to change the waiver system so you are bidding on players who will enter your line up tomorrow (rather than the day after tomorrow)? This is purely to make it easier to use in the yahoo system (which displays who's playing tomorrow in the free agent pool by default).

I thought that the FA pickups were available the day after, but I'm admittedly not sure. I took a quick glance through the settings, and I don't think there's any way to change that time period, at least for this season. If anyone else knows the answer for sure, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it next season.

Definitely happy with FAAB, it's a great way to manage FAs. I had a quick look at the possible settings available in a league that I'm the commissioner in. I wonder if changing the 'Allow roster changes' setting from Daily-Tomorrow to Daily-Today would do what I was looking for in my earlier post.
kiwishaq
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 11)

Postby kiwishaq » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:49 pm

bokzg wrote:
thelimey wrote:A few questions about the 4 year keeper rule, is that irrespective of trades & waiver wire transactions? Eg player A is with one team for 2 years & then traded to another does he need to be dropped by his new team after 2 years? Like wise if player B is with one team for 2 years & then dropped, another team picks him up - can he only be kept for another two years? Also does the initial draft count as one of our keeper years, so players who were drafted & kept only have 2 more years before re-entering the pool?

The way I intended it to mean was that a player can only be kept by one team 4 seasons in a row. If they are kept for 2 seasons by one team and then traded/picked up by another, that new team gets to keep them for 4 years in a row max. The keeper timer isn't like a contract that travels with a player to each new team.

The main purpose of the rule is to avoid having a player with a great keeper value (i.e. Eric Bledsoe at $1) stay at that value forever and provide the team with a permanent huge advantage. At some point, the player has to be released back into the pool for everyone to get a shot at him, where his value will be re-set by the market.

On resetting the keeper clock - I think it shouldn't reset if a player is traded. A great player who was picked up at $1 could potentially stay at $1 throughout his entire career if he's traded at the end of his 4 years each time. I think the key is that the league gets to set a players value at least every 4 years (obviously earlier if he's thrown back). Otherwise I could easily imagine players like Durant not being thrown back, instead traded at the end of the 4th season for a similar player who is also at the end of his 4th season.
kiwishaq
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 11)

Postby bokzg » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:36 am

kiwishaq wrote:On resetting the keeper clock - I think it shouldn't reset if a player is traded. A great player who was picked up at $1 could potentially stay at $1 throughout his entire career if he's traded at the end of his 4 years each time. I think the key is that the league gets to set a players value at least every 4 years (obviously earlier if he's thrown back). Otherwise I could easily imagine players like Durant not being thrown back, instead traded at the end of the 4th season for a similar player who is also at the end of his 4th season.

Good point. Unless I hear some argument otherwise, I think we'll have the keeper clock not reset when a player is traded since their value stays the same in such a situation. Thanks for pointing this out.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby thelimey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:10 am

bokzg wrote:
kiwishaq wrote:On resetting the keeper clock - I think it shouldn't reset if a player is traded. A great player who was picked up at $1 could potentially stay at $1 throughout his entire career if he's traded at the end of his 4 years each time. I think the key is that the league gets to set a players value at least every 4 years (obviously earlier if he's thrown back). Otherwise I could easily imagine players like Durant not being thrown back, instead traded at the end of the 4th season for a similar player who is also at the end of his 4th season.

Good point. Unless I hear some argument otherwise, I think we'll have the keeper clock not reset when a player is traded since their value stays the same in such a situation. Thanks for pointing this out.

Agreed.
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:23 pm

thelimey wrote:
bokzg wrote:

Agreed.

+2
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby thelimey » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:28 pm

just in case it's deleted from yahoo the traded players this year & their keeper status:

Kyle Lowry
Rudy Gay
Chris Bosh (was a keeper)
Ty Laswon (was a keeper)
Paul Millsap (was a keeper)
Josh Smith
Rajon Rando
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby jphanned » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:57 am

Bump.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby bokzg » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:39 am

jphanned wrote:Bump.

Thanks! ;-D
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach